Community
Search
Notices
KingTech Turbines International Barry is your host and will help you with all your Kingtech questions and concerns.

K 60 problems.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 07:17 PM
cosmo21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K 60 problems.

Ok,

what is happening is I'm getting flame outs between 70k and 90k, the GSU is saying Speed Low??? Nothing in the book that indicates what this actually means.
Engine starts beautifully, idles ok, jumps up and down occaisionaly 2k. On running if I ease the throttle fwd goes to max rpm, 160k no worries. But once I cycle back to idle, either fast or slow. I don't matter, let it settle or not (I've tried a lot of different situations) And I throttle up, either fast or slow, it flames out between 70k and 90k, and say Speed low????

Now last week I went thru the fuel system with a fine tooth comb, and found the filter(kingtech) to be leaking air. So I thought that was the problem. Ran engine, it ran well. Stupidly I thought Id fixed the problem, not so today.

So, there is NO air bubbles, so we can eliminate that. Just at a complete loss, suspecting the ecu.

This is a new engine, and it ran flawlessly on the bench, but does this in the Jet. As I said I went thru the fuel system, using the test/prime functions. All good , no bubbles.
I made sure all wiring is separated, the rpm sensor is away from the fuel pump, though mabee rf noise?
No different. I just don't know. This is my 4 turbine engine, and 3rd Kingteck, so not a newbie. But I'm ready to learn more.
I may have to send it in, don't want to, but I do suspect the ecu is acting up???

Please help, I really want to fly this little beast, when it's working normally, it's impressive.

Cheers

Matt
Old 12-08-2014, 06:32 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Might be a bad RPM sensor. Your best bet would be to call Dirk at kingtech USA.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:17 PM
cosmo21

Yeah I'm sorta thinking it could be related to that. I'm about to pull it all out of the Jet and run it on the bench again, to see if it's an installation problem. Try and eliminate the last possibilities.

Cheers

Matt
Old 12-08-2014, 03:15 PM
mavrick
My Feedback: (1)

Check your Battery & Put the right battery in it
Cheers
Mav
Old 12-08-2014, 05:03 PM
cosmo21

Just run it again, first with the recommended 9.9v, and it done it's old trick.

Changed to a 7.2 lipo, and she run good as gold, throttle slams, slow advances, everything, perfect.
Still at a loss tho, book says 9.9v, will try another 9.9v batt and see what happens.

Also, when she's not running the egt is showing 18- 20 degrees celcius..... Its at least 35degrees Celcius up here. I'll also look for erratic egt readings. Slowly winning.......I think.

BTW KMRC is being a great help, much appreciated Ken, cheers.

Matt
Old 12-08-2014, 06:22 PM
cosmo21

Well just run it again, with a different 9.9v batt, all balanced ect ect. Same thing happened.
Run again with 7.2 lipoly, good as gold.
This system doesn't seem to like 9.9volts..... Says in the book to use it. Maybe for the big engines, not the baby K60... f*&**d if I know.

I guess I'll put it back in the plane and fly it on 7.2 volts, we will see.

Matt
Old 12-09-2014, 03:43 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

I had the same problem with my K100. I checked the ECU parameters against the ones in the manual and found that my "EGT End Preheat" was set at 68C in the ECU and the manual calls for 72C. I chenged my value to 72C and it's been fine since then using a 9.9V LiFE battery. I know it doesn't make sense but it worked.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:48 AM
flejter1

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

cosmo,

Speedlow, usually is a indication of the pump starving for fuel and can't keep the turbine stable and running so it shuts off. I just had another customer with the same problem and he swore he checked the entire fuel system as it was a new build. He checked again and found hysol type pieces in the fuel tank and would suck into the clunk and kill his engine like yours as he ran it up. I suggest you go through your system 1 more time. Barry had a similar problem at JOK this year, we found a big chunk of something in the UAT metal tubing that the fuel line to the pump connects to. You also stated, it ran fine on the test bench but gives you problems in the plane, again go to the plane and find the problem, it is not the turbine.

Good luck,

Dirk
Old 12-11-2014, 12:16 PM
marquisvns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cosmo, your pump pw would be the tell tale, what is it during idle and at full rpm? Also, what does it reveal when you power up your rx, and click on the first button from the left of the GSU?

Thanks,
Barry
Old 12-13-2014, 07:14 PM
cosmo21

Originally Posted by flejter1
cosmo,

Speedlow, usually is a indication of the pump starving for fuel and can't keep the turbine stable and running so it shuts off. I just had another customer with the same problem and he swore he checked the entire fuel system as it was a new build. He checked again and found hysol type pieces in the fuel tank and would suck into the clunk and kill his engine like yours as he ran it up. I suggest you go through your system 1 more time. Barry had a similar problem at JOK this year, we found a big chunk of something in the UAT metal tubing that the fuel line to the pump connects to. You also stated, it ran fine on the test bench but gives you problems in the plane, again go to the plane and find the problem, it is not the turbine.

Good luck,

Dirk
It's not he fuel system, as it was doing exactly the same thing on the bench 3 days ago.
I took the engine out and mounted on the bench, same probs. I used a different tank ect on the bench.
Worked well, no flame outs with 7.2 lipoly, flame outs with 9.9v life.......same as in the airframe.
Cosmo, your pump pw would be the tell tale, what is it during idle and at full rpm? Also, what does it reveal when you power up your rx, and click on the first button from the left of the GSU?

I didn't note any crazy pump pw readings, all stable. But I didn't note the pw sorry. It's since been sent back to the factory. I'm sure it's just an ECU glitch. The turbo machinery is fine.

Matt

Thanks,
Barry
Old 12-14-2014, 05:10 PM
marquisvns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anytime Matt, the range of PW between idle and full throttle is what we were looking for to determine the "health" of the pump (if the higher numbers were not caused by fuel delivery issues), not the fluctuation, surely that would have had even more obvious adverse effect on engine operation.

Barry