Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > KingTech Turbines International
Reload this Page >

K210 Return to idle is delayed

Community
Search
Notices
KingTech Turbines International Barry is your host and will help you with all your Kingtech questions and concerns.

K210 Return to idle is delayed

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 05:42 AM
FALCONSNEST

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K210 Return to idle is delayed

On the maiden flight of my SM 1/6 F-16, all went well, but the landing was very scary because the turbine did not come down to idle when I pulled the throttle all the way back. I estimate it was still at about 25 to 30 percent power. Fortunately it was a long runway and I have good brakes. It eventually came all the way down after I had come to a stop. Also, I have put 3 runs on the engine before the first flight, this was the fourth run.

This engine has the newer pump. Any suggestions as to why this happens, any parameter adjustments I can make?

Thanks.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:54 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by FALCONSNEST
On the maiden flight of my SM 1/6 F-16, all went well, but the landing was very scary because the turbine did not come down to idle when I pulled the throttle all the way back. I estimate it was still at about 25 to 30 percent power. Fortunately it was a long runway and I have good brakes. It eventually came all the way down after I had come to a stop. Also, I have put 3 runs on the engine before the first flight, this was the fourth run.

This engine has the newer pump. Any suggestions as to why this happens, any parameter adjustments I can make?

Thanks.
Newer pump but old ECU (Xicoy)?

With the Xicoy system you can set the deceleration delay your self in the run menu. Look at your run menu and let us know what its set at. Also you can try yourself and move it down a number or 2 and see if its any better. After making any adjustments do a thorough ground run moving the throttle between high and low to make sure the engine does not flame out.

I would also recommend relearning RC again just to be safe. We trouble shoot allot of idle problems and relearn RC fixes allot of them.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:28 AM
SMBJets

Did you plug in HDT after the flight and check what the screen said?often what you are describing can be caused by exceeding pump limit, after which the ECU will struggle to manage the pump effectively resulting in delayed deceleration. The screen will flash 'PUMP LIMIT EXCEEDED' after the flight but before the Rx is switched off. you need to check your fuel system for restrictions then go through the setting pump limit process, and set the limit about 20% above the highest pump Pw used in accelerating to full throttle.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:34 AM
FALCONSNEST

I did not plug in the GSU after the flight, however, I am using all BVM hi flow hardware and the large CAT. This does not mean that there could have been a pinched fuel line or other restriction somewhere.

I have some great info from just these 2 replies to my post and have a great starting point for troubleshooting this issue. Thanks for the help!

Originally Posted by SMBJets
Did you plug in HDT after the flight and check what the screen said?often what you are describing can be caused by exceeding pump limit, after which the ECU will struggle to manage the pump effectively resulting in delayed deceleration. The screen will flash 'PUMP LIMIT EXCEEDED' after the flight but before the Rx is switched off. you need to check your fuel system for restrictions then go through the setting pump limit process, and set the limit about 20% above the highest pump Pw used in accelerating to full throttle.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:08 AM
FALCONSNEST

Thanks everybody I relearned RC and that seemed to solve the problem. Idle RPM still fluctuates from about 32500 to 35000 so I may try changing the stability delay by a small amount. All other parameters look good.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:22 AM
flejter1

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FALCONSNEST
Thanks everybody I relearned RC and that seemed to solve the problem. Idle RPM still fluctuates from about 32500 to 35000 so I may try changing the stability delay by a small amount. All other parameters look good.

Falconsnest,

Run your engine up to full throttle and get a reading on the PW value at full throttle. After shut down, go in the run menu and adjust the pump limit to just 20% higher than the F.T. PW. Another words, if at full throttle, the PW is 200, adjust the pump limit to 240. If the pump limit is set to high, that can cause high idle and fluctuating idle as well. Relearn RC after you make the adjustment, Start it, let it establish idle & it may take a few seconds for it to climb back up to full throttle but it will get there. Adjusting the pump limit to 20% higher will give you a better pump resolution to throttle input.

Regards,

Dirk
KingTech Service
Old 08-29-2016, 08:24 AM
FALCONSNEST

Thanks Dirk will do!

Originally Posted by flejter1
Falconsnest,

Run your engine up to full throttle and get a reading on the PW value at full throttle. After shut down, go in the run menu and adjust the pump limit to just 20% higher than the F.T. PW. Another words, if at full throttle, the PW is 200, adjust the pump limit to 240. If the pump limit is set to high, that can cause high idle and fluctuating idle as well. Relearn RC after you make the adjustment, Start it, let it establish idle & it may take a few seconds for it to climb back up to full throttle but it will get there. Adjusting the pump limit to 20% higher will give you a better pump resolution to throttle input.

Regards,

Dirk
KingTech Service