Notices
KingTech Turbines International Barry is your host and will help you with all your Kingtech questions and concerns.

K-85 flameout issue

Old 09-27-2019, 10:08 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default K-85 flameout issue

I have a new K-85 in my TopRC Cougar. It’s been a great engine, but it’s developed a problem.

it starts and idles fine, but when I go to full throttle, it flames out and the GSU says “speed low.” It lets out a big puff of smoke when it quits, so the pump is running up. I tried advancing the throttle slowly, and I can get to about 3/4 throttle and 120000 RPM and it will run, but any higher throttle, it quits - “speed low”

Any ideas?

Bob
Old 09-27-2019, 11:55 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Talk to Barry or Dirk and send it in....
Old 09-28-2019, 02:27 AM
barron06

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Look at your pwm setting at the time of flameout (3/4 throttle), note it, then compare if it's close to the max pwm setting. This could indicate a fuel restriction since you say it was running fine before. I would check for a kinked fuel line or clogged filter.
Also, note if there are any small air bubbles in the fuel line to the turbine just before 3/4 stick and/or if there is any change in the UAT fuel level. I'm kind of new to the game but that's what I would do before sending it in.

Last edited by barron06; 09-28-2019 at 02:37 AM.
Old 09-28-2019, 04:39 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sounds like a fuel restriction or bad pump to me but yes, talk to Barry or Dirk
Old 09-28-2019, 07:35 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jeff was at this event and he suggested looking at the pump PW to see if there was a restriction as well.

So we were inspecting the fuel system and checking the fuel filter and we happened to look in the intake and noticed that the FOD guard had come off. We removed the engine and saw that the FOD guard had settled in the intake and was partially blocking the RPM sensor, as well as blocking some of the intake as well, of course.

Luckily, no damage was done to the engine. The O ring that held the FOD guard was nowhere to be found. On this engine, there is very little space for the O ring to sit on in front of the FOD guard, and it must have slipped off.

At Jeff’s suggestion, we replaced it with a zip tie around the starter motor casing in front of the FOD guard with a few drops of CA for good measure.

Problem solved and the engine is again running great!

Bob
Old 09-28-2019, 08:33 AM
barron06

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for this constructive feedback. Helps us all. I'll be replacing my o-rings with something more suitable if they're hanging on the edge as yours. Many time folks never post a follow-up. I feel that in most cases they've solved their problem but never share it for the benefit of all.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:39 AM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm happy for you that you found and fix the problem, I had the same problem with my P60 but wasn't so lucky, it end up with compressor damage.

Thank you for the follow up, I also appreciate it when guys come back to post their solution to their problems, help us all.

Tks.

Last edited by CARS II; 09-28-2019 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:36 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

These can be 3D printed quite easily....