Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Lt-40 as taildragger

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Lt-40 as taildragger

Old 10-03-2010, 09:44 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Lt-40 as taildragger

ORIGINAL: RussianFlyer

When I converted my LT-40 to a taildragger, I basically mounted a dubro plastic bracket with its hole directly in-line with the rudder hinge line. then I drilled a hole vertically through the fuse all the way to the rudder. I believe I bent a new tail wheel wire out of some music wire and made it long enough to go through the fuse and up to the rudder. At the rudder end I simply made a 90 degree bend and used the rudder control horn backplate to retain it against the rudder. It sounds a bit complicated, but i think this is probably the easiest way to make a steerable tail wheel for the LT-40. So in summary, drill hole in fuse, bend your own tail gear wire, make it extend to the rudder control horn, sandwhich top of wire against rudder. All in all its a 15 minute affair
That's the way I did it

Old 10-03-2010, 09:58 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nicely done w8ye. Beats having a mini-servo mixed in with the rudder. Just may upgrade mine to use your technique. Yea, I know - if it ain't broken ... (but that's me - just ask my Ex. ). A small strap fabricated from an aluminum can that wraps around the bottom of the rudder to capture the "music wire" and secured under both sides of the rudder horn would work. Good ole technique stolen from The World Model's Sky Raider II.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:08 PM
w8ye

That plane is an old ARF I bought back in the 90's. I changed it over to the taildragger, four stroke and bolt on wings in the winter of 2006. It has a couple hundred flights on it.

It lands beautifully. The main gear is from a H9 Super Stick 60 and the main wheels are Dave Brown 3 1/2".

Additional instructions for the tail wheel are that you need to run a tube, plastic, brass, or aluminum up through the fuselage for that tail wheel wire as it will rub against the elevator pushrod.

Also the bottom of the fuselage is not exactly perpendicular to the rudder hinge line. You need to taper your tailwheel brack mounting plate enough to make it true square with the rudder hinge line.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:57 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rep, that's the prettiest LT-40 I've ever seen. They're usually as homely as a school bus (but they are a good plane).

The only case I know of someone trying a free pivoting tail gear was a disaster...uncontrollable.

I agree with Rodney and Russianflyer...keep it simple. No need for a tail wheel on grass. Either run a wire up to the rudder for steering as above (w8ye and Rf), or even use a fixed skid. As long as it has some flex and extends backward some, you will be surprised at how well it steers on grass with just the prop blast on the rudder. I've done this with a few of my own planes and never regretted it. You can turn tighter on the grass by making it steerable, if it matters to you. It doesn't to me.

Jim
Old 10-03-2010, 11:06 PM
w8ye

I have a Duro plane Aerobat that I made a tail dragger in the 90's

At first I had a tail skid which was OK but you usually had to align it to take off down the runway.

So I changed it to full swivel which was a bad mistake. The plane would go whichever way it wanted to on take off but as the rudder suddenly became effective, the plane would swerve in the direction you had the rudder amounting to over control.

I changed the tail wheel to be steerable by connecting it to the rudder the same as the LT-40

Old 10-03-2010, 11:09 PM
SeamusG

ORIGINAL: w8ye

Additional instructions for the tail wheel are that you need to run a tube, plastic, brass, or aluminum up through the fuselage for that tail wheel wire as it will rub against the elevator pushrod.

Also the bottom of the fuselage is not exactly perpendicular to the rudder hinge line. You need to taper your tailwheel brack mounting plate enough to make it true square with the rudder hinge line.
Inoticed the nicely finished tail wheel mounting plate. If this approach is taken during a new build Ithink that the elevator pushrod / control horn can be moved to either the left or right side to eliminate the chaffing.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:22 PM
w8ye

Good point
Old 10-04-2010, 09:58 AM
SeamusG

Since we're talking about linking the tail wheel with the rudder - if you have high and low rates on the rudder, which rate is preferable during take offs and taxiing in cross wind conditions? How much of that is based on the amount of movement by the tail wheel as compared with the rudder?

Old 10-04-2010, 11:43 AM
w8ye

I like to have good tail wheel movement and it works well for me to have the tail wheel move as much as the rudder. I usually have generous rudder movement.

I use computer transmitters and have the rudder on high rate at all times with some exponential added in.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:06 PM
SeamusG

My LT-40 has a mixed tail wheel servo which is under driven relative to the rudder which I also keep a full throw for both high & low rates. Easy enough to match the rudder servo w/ the TW servo.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:37 PM
w8ye

It makes a difference on Tailwheel steering on how much caster you have built into the tail wheel wire.

All my planes are tail draggers and some have considerable caster (set back of the wheel from the steering point)

All are hooked to the rudder and some are linked by a spring.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:01 PM
SeamusG

pic 1 - 4Star60 - I used a piece of fuel tubing screwed to the bottom of the rudder in two places. It can be as tight or loose as needed.

pic 2 - Hog Bip - standard spring mount

pic 3 - Kadet Senior - theres a Hitec HS-81 under the hatch. Intent was to double up for float rudder control

pic 4 - LT-40 plans modified to include mods similar to those described earlier in this thread.

pic 5 - Dubro piece that is labeled in pic 4 as "nylon support"

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	us54652.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	1510934   Click image for larger version

Name:	cx75416.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	1510935   Click image for larger version

Name:	rw58452.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	401.6 KB
ID:	1510936   Click image for larger version

Name:	cw63821.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	1510937   Click image for larger version

Name:	if10589.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	241.7 KB
ID:	1510938  
Old 10-05-2010, 02:49 PM
harphunt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought this thread had died, but am happily wrong. Great ideas all! Thanks very much. Will be making the mods this winter.

peace
Old 09-18-2012, 06:01 PM
Jerry Hicks
My Feedback: (26)

I came across this forum while searching for information on converting a Sig Kadet Senior ARF to a tail dragger landing gear configuration. I've got one of the new, recently re-released ARF's with the new covering scheme. I want to make it a tail dragger, and I'm looking for ideas or suggestions regarding what to use for main landing gear. I want to use an aluminum gear, and possibly a Sig medium tailwheel assembly (same as comes with the Rascal 40). Any suggestions on what to use for main gear and where to locate when mounting (i.e. how far aft of the firewall or relative to wing leading edge) would be appreciated. Power will likely be a Saito 62, possibly a Saito 72, depending on me locating one. Pictures would be helpful as well.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:59 PM
w8ye

On my LT40 I used the landing gear for a H9 Super Stick 60. This gear is no longer available from Horizon

But yiou might try this gear from the Pulse 60? Or from a Four Star 60?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-xt-60-HAN4139
Old 09-19-2012, 08:07 AM
SeamusG

You might try the RCU old search and look for thread subjects that contain "tail and dragger and senior".

How? 1) hover your mouse over the FORUMS tap in the upper left corner of this page, 2) click on search near the bottom, 3) click OLD SEARCH in the upper left corner of the page, 4) enter the search string with "and", click the "advanced search" box, and select the "search terms found in" subject.

You will get plenty of pages of threads that meet your needs.

HTH
Old 09-24-2012, 06:16 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I wrecked my wonderful LT40 yesterday, strong headwind that changed to a quick strong crosswind, flipped the plane during landing while 10' off the deck, snapped the fuse in several pieces.  Its a converted TG during the build, and have a really nice tail wheel setup that tracks great in grass. I used a pushrod that is tied to the rudder servo one hole in from the rudder clevis using a spring setup to cushion the servo from rough ground, the pushrod exits underneath the fuse in a slot just above the tail gear.   I'll get some pics when I tear the fuse apart to rebuild it.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:17 PM
w8ye

My thoughts are with you and what's left of your LT-40
Old 10-10-2012, 05:05 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

It flies once again!  I really should snap a couple pics of my servo setup for the tail wheel. It is so simple its stupid.  Nothing more than a wire that runs back, comes out a slot and connects to the wheel. The servo side has a servo saver setup on it with 2 springs to cushion the servo from the rough ground.     Funny thing is I know the gear came from Tower, but I cant find it on their site.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:48 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Default internal push rods for both elv and rud

Hi
guess this is a bit of an old thread but I placed both push rods in the fuse. Elevator as stock exit but as far to the side opposite the rudder as possible. Music wire from the rudder hinge line down through the fuse to tail wheel. O wire wrapped a lever on the music wire inside the fuse for the control rod to work on. this little lever must have the same length as the horn on the servo to prevent binding. the flex rod is for the antennae.