Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Kadet Senior

Old 09-23-2010, 02:53 AM
pipercub17

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Kadet Senior

i coverd all 3 of mine with sig coverall and painted them and thay sill fly fine
you can put a 2 lbs pay load in a seniorita and it will still fly with a saito 30
but it has to be a tail dragger trike gear sucks on grass
Old 09-23-2010, 06:44 AM
JohnBuckner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: shd3920

What size do you suggest for a reasonable price engine that will handle it steady but slow with the fabric covering?

And not to get off the subject is the .46 mentioned too much for a Kadet Mark II? I trust RCKen's advice so I guess I would put aside the .46 and still get a .32 or .35 for the Mark II, and save the .46 for another time.

My specific suggestion under your conditions would be an OS LA 65. Last year I rebuilt an old wreck for a gentleman that had become a professional student without ever progressing for years. The chief cause was no real mentor and a long line of totally inappropriate airplanes for him to really learn, its a common story.

This airplane was hugh success for him and I built/restored it as I posted above no ailerons and the only concession of extra weight was oversized dubro balloon wheels. The engine was a ST 61 but it turned out somewhat cranky for him so a new la65 solved that and was an extremely user friendly engine for him as well.

On the Mk 1 or 11 no larger than a 35 and my favorte is a nice modern .25.

This is Larrys ride still with the ST:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59942.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	262.3 KB
ID:	1505620   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32338.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	266.8 KB
ID:	1505621   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr45222.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	1505622   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uw41470.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	1505623  
Old 09-23-2010, 07:43 AM
shd3920

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

[img]{akamaiimageforum}/upfiles/23346/Xr45222.jpg[/img]

That Senior is a beauty and does not look too big for us, he has made up his mind that yes, its what he wants. We are going to cover it with Coverite fabric, won't this [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHSL3&P=0]Magnum XLS-52[/link] be enough power on a fabric covered Senior? We are building it stock without ailerons. If not then how bout the [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRLG7&P=0]Magnum XLS-61A[/link]
Old 09-23-2010, 08:18 AM
mike109

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello agaiin

You did not give us any clues as to your ages. Age makes a huge difference when it comes to learning to fly RC models

If you are up to about 20 then you can use just about anything to learn on and you will learn quickly and easily. If you are up to 40, you will still learn pretty quickly but larger slower models will speed the process. Once you get to 50 and above then stability and the ability to fly slowly are very important as you really don't have the reflexes you had when you were younger.

Back to my Kadets.

All my Kadets have four strokes. My friend has one with a 46 in it and it flies OK but I really don't like flying it. My little Saito 56 has more grunt where it matters than the 46. If you can stretch to a four stroke you will enjoy the plane more. Either that or as has been suggested the OS LA series engines. The 46 aand the 60 will both work well. I don't know what your history is with engines but unless you really know what you are doing, I would avoid any two stroke with Made in China on it. If you know engines, they can be good but for raw beginners I think they are best avoided. The Chinese four strokes, however are pretty good and easy to get along with so long as you feed them fuel with some castor oil in it. The Magnum/ASP 52 and 61 are good choices. Then there are Saitos that I favour. They do cost more but they also do seem to last forever.

Here are some pix of some of my Kadets.

The all yellow one with the German WWI crosses is Solatex covered and has the Saito 56. It is my favourite for all weather flying.

The yellow with red wing tips is partly covered in Solatex (fuse) and the flying surfaces are covered in Solafilm. It originally had a Saito 62 but at the moment has a new Saito 82 which is there to do some trial runs.

The red fuse, yellow wing Kadet has an English Laser 70 engine. The engine is brilliant but on the pricey side. This one took a bit of getting used to but is now flying really well in all weathers.

The LT-40 is an ARF and is powered by a very old Saito 45 with a hot cam from a recent 56. This engine would also fly a Senior. A friend had one that I built and covered in Solatex but sadly it died from under maintenance. I am sure it could have been rebuilt but it was dumped before I got there.

If you are unsure about building the structure of the Senior, the LT 40 Kit is easy to build and flies almost as well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ay75231.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	304.6 KB
ID:	1505659   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15893.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	1505660   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot46698.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	252.3 KB
ID:	1505661   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kd90058.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	263.2 KB
ID:	1505662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv17330.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	1505663   Click image for larger version

Name:	Md51123.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	1505664  
Old 09-23-2010, 08:34 AM
lkruse

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A Kadet Senior is an excellent choice for a first plane, or for just lazy, relaxed flying any time. The plane has no bad habits and is forgiving in all modes. The only challenge will be landings because of the floating tendency of the huge, flat-bottomed wing. If you are flying off of a grass surface it will not be as large a problem. Paved surfaces bring out the tendency of the plane to re-launch itself if the landing is a "bouncer". My Kadet Senior ARF is set up in trike configuration and powered by an O.S. .46 AX, which is more than ample power. A four-stroke .52 would be a better choice just because the mellow sound of the engine more closely matches the mellow flying characteristics of the plane.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:43 AM
Mike06659

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would like to try one with the new DLE 20cc engine. I hate having glow fuel on my planes.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:27 AM
jtiller

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have flown on and trained with lots of trainers. I think the Kadet Senior is the best - bar none. Two simple reasons. It is big enough to see and flies slow. Buy the ARF, build the kit, whatever your preference. Put in a motor you like and can afford, choose an instructor and go fly. The simplest way to successly fly that I've found. And yes, I still have a Kadet Senior of my own, and after all these years of flying, my Kadet gets regular use. Kudos to Claude McCullough for a timeless design.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:16 PM
MTK

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

Any details and photos on building it 2-piece wing? I have no idea how that would be done on a wing designed as 1-piece.

Easy to make this wing into a two piece, plug together. The plane is very light so you just need enough strength in a tube and socket connection to duplicate the fiberglassing of the center section.

I have done this to a couple one piece wings that attach to the fuse with bolts. It has worked very well. A 15" carbon tube for example was used in a 10 1/2 pound Pattern plane designed originally with a one piece bolt on wing

You will need a 3/4" OD carbon tube or aircraft grade aluminum, about 15" long. The idea is to install 7.5 inches into each wing half. For this little weight you don't need any longer connector tube than that. Connector diameter is overkill at 3/4" but that's readily available material. 1/2 OD x 1/16" wall would work great too

Anyway, you will need snug fitting sockets for the carbon or ally joiner tube. These sockets will be glued into holes in the first 3 or 4 wing ribs at center. Make sure you cut the holes at the correct dihedral. Cut the holes using a sharpened thin walled copper tube that just fits the sockets.

Reinforce the ribs around these holes with 1/64" ply. Best location for the holes is between the spars.

Make a kit of all the parts and set the panels up with sockets installed and carbon joiner in, at the correct dihedral. Set it up without the top center section sheeting of course, and super glue everything together. Add webbing between the spars and the sockets. Add to sheeting. Separate the panels and voila! This can be done very light, lighter than the fiberglass center reinforcemnt. Good luck. PM me if you want mor edetail
Old 09-23-2010, 12:35 PM
Texastbird

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you want a Magnum, stay away from the 2 strokes. How about this one?
http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...ke-engine.html
Old 09-23-2010, 12:43 PM
Texastbird

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

this is sort of a Kadet Senior clone. It's an ARF if you don't want to build.
http://www.airborne-models.com/html/...p?ProductID=39
I saw one fly several years ago.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:05 PM
fix-n-fly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You'll love it. I built a Senior Kadet and saw it become a lawn dart using cheap #64 rubberbands from an office supply store. I now have a Senior Kadet ARF and love it (except for the Sig covering - another story). I fly with a Thunder Tiger Pro .46 and it is just a pleasure to fly. On hot summer days you can sometimes thermal with it. It's true what they say about the kit though - it is a lot of work to build compared to today's lazer cut kits.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:56 PM
shd3920

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Now this is a possibility, but why so cheap for a 4-stroke?
http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...ke-engine.html

Or we may just save some money and cover it with Ultracote and use the .46 Magnum that is currently in the Kadet Mark II, and then buy a .32 for the Mark II later.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:35 PM
JohnBuckner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

That Senior is a beauty and does not look too big for us, he has made up his mind that yes, its what he wants. We are going to cover it with Coverite fabric, won't this [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHSL3&P=0]Magnum XLS-52[/link] be enough power on a fabric covered Senior? We are building it stock without ailerons. If not then how bout the [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRLG7&P=0]Magnum XLS-61A[/link]

If you like the looks of that airplane then you you cannot acheve that look with any of the fabrics period. It is a matter of taste and I find all the fabrics rather unattractive and start to look shopworn faster. They will never match the speed and quality of repairs you can acheve with modern film coverings (I use mostly Monocote) and in the majority of cases they are measurably heavyier. You will always find that building lighter is always better. Light not only flys better but its crashes better, think about it.

The answer is yes either of those engines will fly that Senior kadet fine with fabric cover especialy the Mag .61XLS. Just flew one of those engines this morning down at the london bridge only on a Schneider Cup racer. I normally avoid cheapie engines but I ended up with this one somehow and it turned out to be an excelent engine. Consistancy is the problem with all the cheapie's, you win a few and loose a few.

John

Here is my Kaydet Seniorita from my last post above for the times I am in a different mood:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sq46136.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	1505788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le93032.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	1505789   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bd66632.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	1505790  
Old 09-23-2010, 05:17 PM
shd3920

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We have decided [sm=thumbs_down.gif] on the fabric covering and [sm=thumbs_up.gif] on Ultracote film.
And I would love to try a 4-stroke this time so we are seriously considering the Magnum XL 52 RFS mentioned earlier, but I heard 4-strokes are harder to tune than 2-strokes? I definitely don't want that.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:35 PM
JohnBuckner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes I beleve you will be happier with the film covering.

John
Old 09-23-2010, 05:51 PM
shd3920

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

Yes I beleve you will be happier with the film covering.

John
Yes I am sure I will be. But I am seriously in doubt on what to do for the motor. I would love to try a 4-stroke but like I said I heard they were harder to tune, but I also think it would make more sense to use the Magnum .46 I already have but was told above to stay away from Magnum 2-strokes. This thinking is driving me [sm=bananahead.gif] cause we also need a radio setup.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:56 PM
CGRetired

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Did you ever fly that Goldberg Eagle 2 Trainer you were building with a friend?
Old 09-23-2010, 06:02 PM
cutaway

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: noveldoc
If you are going to build the bird cage, transparent mono is the way to go.
Tom
I plan to use silk and dope
Old 09-23-2010, 06:07 PM
shd3920

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: CGRetired

Did you ever fly that Goldberg Eagle 2 Trainer you were building with a friend?
No he decided its not what he wants to do and has since moved out of state and I lost all contact with him [] so I gave that away before it was finished. All I have now is a Kadet Mark II (motor too big so cant fly) and a Kadet LT-40 (doesn't have a motor and stripped clean of radio system and such)

So my brother and I are planning on going back and forth to the Mark II and Senior, after we both join the local club. We have had so many family problems the last couple years that something has always delayed the learning, but I'VE HAD IT, about time we get out there, with all the time and money spent we GOTTA LEARN!!! But it is also hard when you don't have transportation and you don't know anyone at the field.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:07 PM
jtiller

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mine has an OS .70 4 stroke an that engine is perfect. It's relatively inexpensive too. Very reliable and easy to start.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:22 PM
balsadustmaker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Shd3920; Don't sweat the small stuff. When my father taught me this hobby, (he's 80 and still flies), he always told me to use the KISS method. (Keep It Simple Stupid) He seemed to like to use that phrase quite a bit around me . Anyways, a simple, reliable 2 stroke is all you need to learn on. An OS LA engine in the 46 to 61 range or take a look at the Evolution motors used in some of the Hanger 9 trainers. You want to be able to concentrate on your developing your flying skills, not your vocabulary of 4 letter words trying to start a fussy engine.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:38 PM
mike109

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

G'day

I stopped using two strokes for two reasons. Noise and the fact that the four strokes are EASIER to use.

Four strokes are not difficult to get along with. I use 10% fuel with 5% castor, 15% synthetic and 70% methanol which is relatively cheap and produces plenty of power. My Laser four strokes run happily with no nitro and 16% oil.

You do need to spend a little time running them in to get the ring to bed but the whole process can be done in about 40 minutes. I spend 20 minutes on the ground and do the rest with the engine set a bit rich in the air. The Magnum 52 you are looking at would be a great engine in a Kadet.

If you do buy a Magnum (or ASP - they are essentially the same and come out of the same factory) do use a small amount of castor with them. It helps with the running in and is great protection against a lean run and rust.

Four strokes react more slowly to needle changes. You just have to change the needle slowly and wait until the change becomes evident. If you have a musical ear, then tuning is very easy. If you don't, then using a tacho will help a lot. This applies to two strokes too.

My friends who fly two strokes are forever having dead sticks. Especially the cheap Chinese ones - the OS are better. I never have dead sticks unless I want to or get so carried away that I run out of fuel and this is rare. The one plane that I have that does run out of fuel (as its tank is really too small and I can't be bothered changing it) gives warnings by missing a few beats so as soon as I hear that, I set up to land.

And four strokes just sound better especially in a slow flying model like the Kadet.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:45 PM
JohnBuckner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

No he decided its not what he wants to do and has since moved out of state and I lost all contact with him [] so I gave that away before it was finished. All I have now is a Kadet Mark II (motor too big so cant fly) and a Kadet LT-40 (doesn't have a motor and stripped clean of radio system and such)

So my brother and I are planning on going back and forth to the Mark II and Senior, after we both join the local club. We have had so many family problems the last couple years that something has always delayed the learning, but I'VE HAD IT, about time we get out there, with all the time and money spent we GOTTA LEARN!!! But it is also hard when you don't have transportation and you don't know anyone at the field.

First of all forget the four stroke, For begining the two stroke is more intuitive in the tunning and a little user friendly. That means easier for you as a beginer. Learning to fly is a series of steps up a ladder and don,t start skipping rungs because an engine may sound cooler. Remember they are much more expensive and you are more liable to destroy that expensive engine early on than after your skills mature a little.

Now I am a little confused and that makes it darn hard to make any suggestion if we don,t know what you have. So what exactly do you have airplanes and engines? Not what you are thinking about getting?

Its a mistake for a new folks to fixate on their first airplane and refuse to fly it because its the first. If you have a completed LT-40 why are we not talking about engines for that, that is what you need to finish if you already have it.

So what the heck do you already have? Remember information from posts elsewhere does not help here.

John
Old 09-23-2010, 07:15 PM
Texastbird

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A four stroke is not hard to tune in my book. The Magnum four strokes have a better reputation around here than the two stroke models. If I had a 46 two stroke already, then that is what I would use. My flying buddy has the Senor ARF with a OS 61FX. Its really too much engine but it needs the weight to balance correctly anyway. So he flies it at about 1/4 throttle or so. He has thought about putting a four stroke in it, but would just rather fly it instead of working on it.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:58 PM
shd3920

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a Kadet LT-40 with no motor and no electronics, and it has ailerons. The Kadet Mark II has the Magnum .46 which is too big for it and it has no ailerons.

We both want to learn from a 3-channel so that leaves us with just the Mark II, with the LT-40 on the sidelines until we learn 3-channel first. Secondly he wants his own plane and I am NOT giving him the Mark II and like I said he don't want ailerons so he wont take the LT-40.

Search this Thread