Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Ikon N' West

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Ikon N' West

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 03:05 PM
nwsign
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ikon N' West

Does anyone out there have a copy of the building instructions for the Ikon Taper Wing Waco? I have the kit and the rolled plans but no instructions. Also was the fiberglass cowl listed on the box top supposed to come with the kit or do you have to buy it after market.
Thanks , Doug
Old 09-23-2010, 10:32 PM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ikon N' West

The cowl is supposed to come with the kit. I wish I had a copy of the instructions and plans. This airplane can be built without the instructions if you study the plans and have built Ikon kits before. Prolly be a little head scratching but can be done. I have a few of these kits in my stash: Stinson 108, Gee Bee Model E, Aeronca Champ, Mr Mulligan, Fairchild 22, Reawin Speedster, Piper Tripacer, Curtiss Robin and Wedell-Williams 44.

I edited mssg because where the word 'instructions' is located in 2nd sentence was the word 'plans' which didn't make any sense! Sorry[sm=red_smile.gif]
Old 09-24-2010, 11:48 PM
nwsign

Thanks for the encouragement. I have never built an Ikon kit or any scale kit before. It may be a little much without instructions. I am sure a cowl can be had from one of the fiberglass places.
If I can't come up with the instruction manual I may just sell what I have.

Old 09-25-2010, 01:09 AM
geoardsog5
My Feedback: (31)

Sent you an email. john R.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:31 AM
yel914

I haven't built the Taper Wing Waco, but I have built 2 of the Ikon UPF7's. I can tell you from experience that the manual is mostly worthless. I had some moments of head scratching and "what were they thinking" with the UPF's. If you have built a plane from plans before, you'll probably be OK. You may find building an easier biplane to be valuable prep work before tackling the Taper Wing. I think I heard that some of the kits came with and without the cowl. The fiberglass cowl that came with mine was not of good quality, so an aftermarket cowl might be a better way to go. Good luck with the build.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:47 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: nwsign

Thanks for the encouragement. I have never built an Ikon kit or any scale kit before. It may be a little much without instructions. I am sure a cowl can be had from one of the fiberglass places.
If I can't come up with the instruction manual I may just sell what I have.

Doug, is that you ???

I've built an IKON kit, before. Although I don't have the instructions you require, I may be able to help you with any problem that could arise during construction.

Give me a call, or send me an email. Better yet, stop by, the next time you're in TC.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:10 PM
nwsign

Yes it's me Tom. I e-mailed you the list of kits I have today. Talk to you soon.
Doug
Old 10-03-2010, 10:12 AM
mistermnkim
My Feedback: (153)

ikon instructions are useless! lol im building the ikon tripacer these are builders kits. sad but true...
Old 10-04-2010, 05:11 AM
TomCrump

ORIGINAL: mistermnkim

ikon instructions are useless! lol im building the ikon tripacer these are builders kits. sad but true...
Why is the fact that they are builders kits sad ? I find IKON kits challenging. I enjoy that fact. I like the brain exercise they provide.

Last week, a new to me IKON kit arrived at my door. The manual plainly states that the kit is for an advanced builder, and will take some head scratching to complete.

I'm looking forward to starting this kit, but I want to finish my Cessna 195, first. It has no instructions.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52718.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	1510780  
Old 10-04-2010, 06:25 PM
mistermnkim
My Feedback: (153)

well i guess i ment sad for the not so experienced builder that has trouble with it. i like my IKON kit as well!! your 195 looks great!!
Old 10-04-2010, 07:18 PM
stefanP

Does anyone know if these kits will surface again?I wish I had picked up a couple kits back in the day[&o]
stefanP
Old 10-05-2010, 06:07 AM
yel914

Most indications are that the company is no longer producing kits. I thnk you'll probably hear that from almost everyone. Now with that being said, my good friend was able to buy an Ikon N'Wst Gee Bee Y kit earlier this summer from the company. He said it took lots of patience and many, many phone calls. I'm just speculating, but I got the feeling that my friend was just lucky enough to have choosen a kit that was mostly available, that is, very little work needed to ship it out. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't see it with my own eyes!
Old 10-05-2010, 06:39 AM
tuckearl

Hi, My names Chuck Browning, Mishawaka,IN. I just started a taperwing & don`t have the manual. I have instructions
that are pretty much not to good. I`m up to wings and have no idea what to block up 1/4 inch or where. I have plans if
anyone is interested I could get copies. I was interested in finding construction photo booklet if possible.I would pay for
copying. My e-mail is tuckearl @ comcast.net.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:43 AM
TomCrump

Sorry. To my knowledge, IKON kits never contained a step by step, photo illustrated construction manual.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:52 PM
tuckearl

Doug, E- mail me your address & i`ll mail you a set of instructions. Chuck Browning ([email protected])
Old 10-20-2010, 06:38 PM
stefanP

I just scored a complete N.I.B. 98" Curtis Robin. I guess I need to just keep looking.
stefanP
Old 10-27-2010, 08:19 PM
stefanP

Just picked up Mr.Mulligan.Check ebay the same seller has 3 more Ikon Wst kits for sale.
stefanP
Old 11-11-2010, 04:29 PM
stefanP

Mr.Mulligan just arrived.MAN WHAT A BIG COWL!!!.The kit looks great .Even the building directions look desent.Like Tom C told me,"The kit makes you think a little".Not just putting together a jig saw puzzle.Build on,
stefanP
Old 11-12-2010, 06:31 AM
TomCrump

Ya, I was fortunate to build my first IKON kit, early in my RC carreer. The design taught me skills that I still use 20 years later.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:06 PM
rclayb

By any chance do you have the building instruction that I could get a copy of?
My email: [email protected]
Thanks,
Roger