Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Glueing balsa to foam

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Glueing balsa to foam

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 08:35 PM
ka0hyz
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glueing balsa to foam

Iam looking to find away of useing titebond glue to cover foam wing..This is my first foam wing,,its a 10 size stinger!!Ive heard someone useing titebond to glue it together but I just didnt read it good at that time..Any help will be welcome!!
thank u
Old 04-08-2002, 11:04 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

For that size plane, I would use 3M spray adhesive. It would work very well, it's basically dry to use, so it's instantly(almost) ready to keep working on and when you touch the sheeting to the cores, you better have them aligned well, it will be impossible to remove at that point. Not sure of the Titebond method, I've always used 3M with excellent results.

Good luck.
Old 04-08-2002, 11:19 PM
Ed Smith

I have never used Titebond, I know it only as "One of those white glues". Be carefull when using white glue to bond skins to foam cores. If the air does not get to some of them they will not cure.

Ed S
Old 04-09-2002, 01:19 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the 3M77 for a plane that sized. I've even heard of people using brown meat packing paper. But for larger I would use ProBond polyurethan glue. Works great, expands like the foam insulation out of the can. But not as much. Fills the voids very well. It sands ok, not as good as I was told by others, maybe its my technique. Its a little hard. But I'll definately use it again. It would probably be too heavy for a .10 sized plane.
Edwin
Old 04-09-2002, 02:04 AM
winship

Hi ka0hyz;

I have covered many foam wings with 3M-77 and the stuff works fine. Make sure that you spray both the sheeting and the foam and attach the sheeting while the 3M-77 is still aggressively tacky. Touch the sheeting with your fingers while wet. Keep touching the sheeting every minute or so until the sheeting is starting to stick really well to your fingertips. Get everything lined up on a good flat surface and roll the foam wing onto the sheeting. Once you have both sides of the sheeting applied rub the surface for a few minutes to get a good bond.

The reason some people have trouble with the 3M-77 is that they wait untill both surfaces are dry. If using other brush on contact cements you will be required to wait untill both surfaces are dry to the touch. Dave Brown Sourgum and Sig Core Bond are a few of these products that are required to dry to the touch.

Winship
Old 04-18-2002, 06:14 AM
drywaller

Default Pro Bond poly glue

I just glued one of the wings on my TGA F-15 with the Pro Bond poly. glue. I must say I do not care much for that method, although it may just be the method I used.
I am getting a can of the 3M-77 first thing in the morning. I guess this can be a test to see which works better, the 3M or the polyurethane glue.
Old 04-18-2002, 03:56 PM
ka0hyz
My Feedback: (7)

Default Covering

Well Guys thank u but I tryed the titebond deal and it really worked great for me..I tryed it on a test peice first and it dryed fast and very strong,,I might have to change my mind on foam wings!
All I did is prepare the wood then I just glued the sheets on and its stuck titer then Ive even seen..Done the leading edge sheets first and trailing edge..Its the titebond yellow Altaptic stuff..
Give it a try,,the wing is stright to..LOL..
Happy flying