Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Wing Kits

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Wing Kits

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 10:42 AM
DBono99
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing Kits

Hi All.. Was thinking of building a Wing Kit, either the P40 or the P39..Would like to hear comments from others who have built these planes..What really comes in the short kit? Would I have to cut out my owm formers?
Thanks Dan
Old 07-29-2003, 12:27 PM
IFR

Default Wing Kits

I built their P-38 and it took hundreds of hours to complete. If your interested how it turned out pictures are in my gallery. The kit contained one sheet of plans, one sheet of part templates, foam wing cores, and vacuum formed canopy, cowls, and radiators. All wood, wood cutting, hardware, landing gear, etc. are your responsibility. They are in essence a scratch build with very minimal directions, so you need a good building foundation before attempting one of these "short kits". If you are concerned about scale give these kits a very close look before committing, the P-38 was only semi-scale. These kits are a lot of work so you don't want to be disappointed at the end. If you are looking at the P-40 and want retracts look at the Robart 615 retract threads, they might influence your choice.

PS: The P-38 turned out to be a very good flier.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:39 PM
Roby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wing Kits

I built and flew both the P39 and the p-40.

I did some minor construction changes but both
aircraft flew well and were worth the effort.

You will get the foam wing cores, a firewall ,motor mount,
and some plastic parts and plans. I didn't use the firewall or the
motor mount supplied, but that's just me. You will have to cut
out your own parts and the balsa is NOT included.

If this is a first effort at building from plans, then just go
slow , take your time,make templates,think about what your
doing and you should make out ok.

I did the FW-190, F4U. P-38,P39,P-40 ,A5M6, C-202 and each one
worth the effort.

Good luck
Roby
Old 07-29-2003, 09:17 PM
DBono99

Default Wing Kits

Hi Guys Thanks for the fast replies. I was afaird I would have to cut some of the parts. I've built from kits & short kits..Was hoping the formers would have been included..Gives me something to think about.
Thanks Dan
Old 07-30-2003, 12:22 AM
lownslo

Default Heyyyyy Dan,

WOW!!! You have to like building more than flying. Saw your thread an couldn't resist ribbing you a little. (no pun intended). ..lownslo.

Bob
Old 02-05-2004, 11:55 PM
tigertooth

Default RE: Wing Kits

I have built two in the past and have one framed up on the bench. The first one was a nice flyer. Fixed gear with Robart struts and wheels. Monokote and matching paint. I decided to mount the engine upright and used a Fox .40 for power. The nice thing about the Fox was it light and not too much of the engine was showing (like the Dynaflite P-40). But had only enough power to do some scale flying with it. Would use a light .45 or .46 next time! Built a second one, mounted the engine inverted this time and sold it. My third one I have recessed the firewall to mount a Saito .56 and used 1/4" balsa on the tail feathers.....it's alot easier to install the robart hinges that way and added bolt on wing mounts.
Old 02-06-2004, 02:00 AM
FHHuber
Banned

I've got a 1/2 completed Wing P-40. Construction stalled due to problems sticking the rotating retracts in the wing. (don't try for the scale retracts... not worth the effort) Note that the plans show option of standard retracts... not the rotating type.

The advantage of the "short kit" is you get to pick the grade of wood used. If you want a lightly built plane then you can have it. If you want the structure stronger for a bigger engine... do it.

Note that the fuselage on the P-40 is streched a fair amount from scale, to give a better sport R/C aircraft. Scale length would make it a bit touchy on elevator and give you worse ground handling characteristics.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:49 PM
Azcat59

My definition of a "short kit".....short of everything you need to build the airplane

I built the Wing Mfg. P-51 some years ago, and it was a very nice airplane. Built light, and was fairly scale. Flew great with a .45, and landed like a feather. I didn't put retracts in it.

I have the A-26 and new engines for it. I am "curing" the kit I guess....have had it several years, but will build it when I "get around to it"....

Clair
Old 02-06-2004, 08:50 PM
lslewis
My Feedback: (2)

Default Wing Kits

I just finished building the Wing Manufacturing A-26. I worked on this kit some part of every day (almost) since late October. A lot of work and as somebody already said with minimal instructions. I spent more money buying stuff to build the kit than the kit and the optional balsa cost. I do not think I will ever do a short kit again, but... You can check out my construction log at:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/A%2D...1225070/tm.htm
Old 02-07-2004, 09:45 PM
tigertooth

Hey FHHUBER, Nice to see someone working on another P-40. I didn't care for the P-51 style retracts shown on the plans. What type are you using? The last one I built I also made the turtledeck from balsa instead of the stock plastic unit. Easier to cover too.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:40 PM
DBono99

Hi Guys...Thanks for the infomation on Wing kits..I have built from short kits before..Would I have to cut the fuselage formers on the Wing kits,P40/P39?

Thanks Dan
Old 02-11-2004, 08:38 PM
tigertooth

DeBono99, On the P-40 there are only a few formers to cut out. The plywood firewall is marked by Wing where you cut or round off the ends. F-2 goes behind the wing saddle and F-5 thru F-7 is glued on top of the fuse between your firewall and cockpit area. Don't know about the Airacobra. I plan on getting that kit this week. Hope this helps.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:58 PM
DBono99

Thanks Tiger for the info.. Just might add the P 40 to my building projects.
Thanks Again Dan
Old 02-12-2004, 07:39 PM
Azcat59

You shouldn't let cutting the formers spook you. Either they will be shown on the plan, making it easy to trace them off and cut them out, or if they are rectangular, just measure the heighth from the side view and the width from the top view of the fuselage, use a square, and draw it out on the wood.

Once you try it you will see it is not very tough. Good luck!

Clair