Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

never put this much weight in teh nose before

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

never put this much weight in teh nose before

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 01:58 PM
Couch-pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: never put this much weight in teh nose before

Almost forgot....I also try and get the fuel tank on or close to CG. Since you're burning it up, you only get lighter...
Old 10-02-2010, 02:08 PM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With royal kits they build tail heav unless you fabricate a scratch built scale exhaust system.
you place the electronics inside the fuse as far forward as possible which is only typical and they can still come out tail heavy.
Royal kits reuqire a lot of carving and a lot of wood which is why they can become so heavy.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:24 PM
hsukaria

I got one for you! I had to add 1 pound and 12 ounces on a 46-size Zero from CMPro with a heavy fiberglass fuselage! I had an OS 55AX in it, a relatively heavy engine, all components as far forward as possible behind the firewall. I had a Harry Higgley spinner nut, and the rest was weight bolted to the engine mount. After balancing the plane, it weighed around 8 pounds. With the smaller wing area, it landed like an anvil. This winter I plan to extend the engine forward an inch, bigger engine, move the throttle receiver and Rx battery forward of the firewall, and maybe grind some fiberglass off the tail. I hope to save at least a pound. We'll see.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Augie11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

I got one for you! I had to add 1 pound and 12 ounces on a 46-size Zero from CMPro with a heavy fiberglass fuselage! I had an OS 55AX in it, a relatively heavy engine, all components as far forward as possible behind the firewall. I had a Harry Higgley spinner nut, and the rest was weight bolted to the engine mount. After balancing the plane, it weighed around 8 pounds. With the smaller wing area, it landed like an anvil. This winter I plan to extend the engine forward an inch, bigger engine, move the throttle receiver and Rx battery forward of the firewall, and maybe grind some fiberglass off the tail. I hope to save at least a pound. We'll see.
While the OS 55AX is a great engine, replace it with a good 4 stroke in the .82-1.00 range and you'll pick up quite a bit of weight in the right place. And she'll sound better!
Old 10-04-2010, 07:24 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Couch-pilot

I have NEVER added extra weight to balance a model.
Then you have obviously NEVER built a plane like a Sopwith Camel.

There is nothing wrong with adding lead. Some people make it sound like it's the end of the world.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:40 AM
Lnewqban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Better heavy than tail heavy!
Old 10-04-2010, 07:49 AM
hsukaria

That's why I don't really like to build and fly warbird scale planes. My only experience with warbird models has been a very negative one so far. Sure they look nice, but flying them is nasty compared to a good purpose-designed RC model, IMHO.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:39 PM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How's progress