Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Top Flite 60 size P-47 Build (continuation)

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Top Flite 60 size P-47 Build (continuation)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 12:41 AM
alfredbmor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flite 60 size P-47 Build (continuation)

Two years ago I received a P-47 thunderbolt, which has been almost totally built, except for some sheeting, it came with many holes in the partially sheeting and every thing else was just fine.
I will post some photographs later but there is an issue that I want to share with you all to receive any advice to solve this issue.
The problem is that wings and stab are perfectly aligned. Stab is already glued to the fuse and main wings saddle is perfectly aligned to receive the wing and when bolted they all are square except the fuse.
The fuse is off for about 4 degrees. I haven't had the time to measure it but it looks just like that.
Since the fuse is going a bit off center, I have been thinking about how should I glue the fin.
Should I follow the fuse direction or the wings and stab direction?
What about the engine?
Should I change the thrust?.

I tried to separate the stab, which is very well glued to the fuse, but if I have success on that, then I will have to tear apart all the fuse to square everything, which is almost impossible without breaking some formers and a huge part of the fuse.

I will post several pictures when I get back home, one week more, but the issue just does not let me sleep, then I decided to share this little problem with all of you.

Thanks.

Alfred.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:58 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite 60 size P-47 Build (continuation)

Tough call.

The easiest thing to do is to set the fin square with the stab and wing. That's of course if you can live with the fuse being cocked to one side.

That said, you don't really need to change anything else
Old 10-11-2010, 12:01 PM
alfredbmor

Thanks MinnFlyer, my concern regards on the real flying parts of the plane, I really don't care how funny it can be seen as well as it flies well.
I also think that the fuse will make some force on trying to align itself, fighting with wings. By glueing the fin on a straight line with the wings, the engine's thrust will also fight with the fin.
Do you think that a combination could be a solution?
More important, how do you think that it would fly on all exposed scenarios?.

I appreciate your concern and the guide.

Alfred.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:10 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The fuse serves no flying purpose. Its only function is to hold the wings and tail together, and of course, provide a place for the engine and pilot, but it will not try to "right" itself in flight.

If there is any engine offset, a 4 degree rotation won't even be noticed.

It'll fly just fine, you'll only have to be ready with a good response when people look closely and say, "Uh, something doesn't look right."
Old 10-17-2010, 02:29 AM
alfredbmor

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

The fuse serves no flying purpose. Its only function is to hold the wings and tail together, and of course, provide a place for the engine and pilot, but it will not try to ''right'' itself in flight.

If there is any engine offset, a 4 degree rotation won't even be noticed.

It'll fly just fine, you'll only have to be ready with a good response when people look closely and say, ''Uh, something doesn't look right.''
Lol, yeah, as a builder that point might be the most interesting to talk about.

Still out of home, at least until thursday, then I will post some photos.

Thanks again Minnflyer :-)