Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Painting On Monokote? No Flat Black Lusterkote anywhere.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Painting On Monokote? No Flat Black Lusterkote anywhere.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 08:46 PM
RickShane
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting On Monokote? No Flat Black Lusterkote anywhere.

Hello all,
Iwould like to paint the top front of my TFCorsair flat black from the cockpit to the front on the cowl.Ihave searched for flat black lusterkote and can't find any. My question is...What kind of flat black paint will work over monokote, and then Ihave a can of clear lusterkote to go over the top of the flat black. Has anyone done anything like this? Please let me know how Ican make this happen. Thanks!
Old 10-12-2010, 08:59 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Painting On Monokote? No Flat Black Lusterkote anywhere.

you could try the T_F black with a flat clear from T_F you should try it on a piece of covering frist the flat clear may tone down the T_F black
Old 10-12-2010, 09:32 PM
cfircav8r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tape it off and sand to a dull finish as this will help the paint stick better. Rustoleum has a new product for plastic that may work well, but I don't know if they have flat black.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:43 AM
Daddyo57
My Feedback: (15)

One other option is tape the Monokote down and use 0000 steel wool, it takes some elbow grease but I was able to make a great looking non glare or flat black section of Monokote for my Astro Hog. Obviously not as cool as a Corsair though! The black section on the hood is the steel wool Monokote, it holds up great and easy to clean.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33463.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1515879  
Old 10-17-2010, 09:51 PM
ScaleRCpilot

I used some of that new paint that is suppose to stick to plastic surfaces - however in my quest to get finished fast I assumed (i know, i know) it would stick to the monocote on my Decathlon but it is flaking off. If I was to do this again I would sand the monocote down and be sure to use a good masking tape cause some places it found it's way under the tapes edge. Good luck!
Old 10-18-2010, 08:53 AM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

It's disappointing how little Lustrekote it available. They use to have tons of colors, but now are just down to a handful.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:01 AM
RickShane

Idid a test paint on an older plane and it turned out really well. Isanded the monokote with 1000 grit (600 would be fine or scotch brite) thenwipe it down with alcohol. I used a small can of universal black glossauto paint from checker auto I had laying around, and sprayed a flat clear over the top of that, and it looks really good. Nice flatlook.I tried to put scratches in it with my fingernails and all it did was leave a little dullmark. It didn't come off the monokote.