Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Luterkote Metallic Colors dont match...help!

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Luterkote Metallic Colors dont match...help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 12:58 AM
dave_anderson
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Luterkote Metallic Colors dont match...help!

I built what I think is a nice looking Cap 232 1/4 scale and finished it in white and metallic plum. The Lusterkote paint is lighter and doesn't even come close to matching the Monokote metallic plum color. Has anyone ever had this problem...and...is it the same for all the metallic paints that are supposed to match metallic Monokote colors? What about other brands. Help is appreciated!

Dave
Old 07-31-2003, 01:53 AM
brschmid

it is not even close???

i used lusterkote cub yellow on my decathlon and it turned out pretty close, not exact but close(pic in my gallery)
Old 07-31-2003, 02:39 AM
dave_anderson
My Feedback: (47)

I have has great luck with the opaque colors. The metallic color gave me the problem.

Thanks for the input!

Dave
Old 07-31-2003, 01:39 PM
Bob Yeager
My Feedback: (5)

Default Metallic Plum Lustercoat

A flying buddy of mine, who is a master craftsman, built a magnificient Midwest Cap. He covered it with Metallic Plum Monokote and used Metallic Lustercoat on the cowl with exactly the same results. Not EVEN close!

I believe that after all that work, I would have taken the cowl to my favorite body shop, along with a Monokote sample, and had it painted professionally. Those automotive painters deal with paint matching on a daily basis.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:44 PM
GoMike

Dave,

A friend of mine built a Skybolt with the classic trim scheme. He used metallic red MonoKote for the trim. The matching LustreKote paint for the cowl wasn't even close - it was like an entirely different color. We've since found out that this is true for all the metallic LustreKote colors.

Try to find some sort of non-metallic paint that matches - it'll definitely be better than the LustreKote.

Mike
Old 07-31-2003, 05:44 PM
iflyrc24
My Feedback: (5)

Dave
I took a sample of metallic blue Monokote to our local NAPA store. They used there color gun and mixed up a pint. I painted it over gray primer and it was a perfect match.

I also got a set up that you mix the paint and put in the jar and screw a propellant can on top, then spray as you would from a can. So no compressor or spray gun is needed.

DEG
Old 08-01-2003, 02:56 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I won't use it any more either. I find the same as Ifly. I go to the paint store with a piece of monokote on a sample of wood and they match the color exactly. I have them put it in a rattle can. Never missed yet.
Old 08-01-2003, 03:24 AM
airwethead

I built a 1/4 scale cap in white and Metallic plum too, and got suckered into using the Lustrekote for the cowl. Just like everybody else has said, the paint is not even close. I am now building a 27% Extra in the same colors, and you can bet I'll go to a body shop and have them match the paint for me.