Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

What's next?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

What's next?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 05:54 PM
GaryHarris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's next?

I'm about to finish my BUSA Eindecker 90 and am looking forward to my next build. I would like something that is pretty easy to fly like a Sig 4* and somewhat scale looking. I'm not much of a rudder user so planes with adverse yawl, eh!

Warbirds are a plus.

I plan on using Solartex for covering and definitely a 4 stroke or maybe even gas for power. I'd like to keep the WS at 80" or under.

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2010, 06:13 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: What's next?

Top Flite Stinson....great flying plane
Old 10-23-2010, 07:13 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: Ram-bro

Top Flite Stinson....great flying plane
Interesting choice! A challenging build, a high wing vintage aircraft that I don't have to spend hundreds of dollars on retracts or show up at the field with another Sopwith Pup.

And it fly's good? Easy?
Old 10-23-2010, 07:37 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

One that I want to build sometime might fit your bill

Spacewalker. Sig makes a 1/3 and a 1/4 scale plane

1/4 scale kit- $199.99

1/3 scale kit- $279.99

Hope this helps

Ken

Old 10-23-2010, 08:16 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Stinson flies very good, slows down good, very stable, not a fast airplane and it can be done up in military fare. I think the Brits or the Canadians flew it as either a obseration or liason /utilty type bird. The fuse is long which helps with a taildragger and the gear is spaced pretty wide.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:37 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

that spacewalker sure is a pretty plane
Old 10-23-2010, 08:55 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I would go with the Spacewalker as well. If your going to go scale you better get used to flying with rudder especially a taildragger.

A big old Cub will get you used to using rudder as well.
Anthony
Old 10-23-2010, 08:57 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used to fly the big Spacewalker for a fellow a few years back and it really is a fun plane to fly. Today I have been flying another fellows smaller ones, one is Epowered and one is glow. Just small ARFs but still a joy to fly. Not a bad choice at all plus the colors show up very well. I never stunted the big one very much but these smaller ones also stunt nice.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:07 PM
wowplanes

Got some nice scale warbirds for you at http://www.wowplanes.com
Old 10-23-2010, 09:21 PM
GaryHarris

The Skywalker doesn't work for me. But thanks!
Old 10-23-2010, 09:41 PM
JCOKEEFE
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[8D]Topflite Cessna.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:05 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Going back to your original question that you want something, preferably a warbird, but didn't have a lot of experience with the rudder. Unfortunately most every warbird is going to require use of the rudder in order to fly them. Just the nature of the beast with warbirds unfortunately. If you want something that's easy to fly like a 4-star but that you can practice your skills with the rudder you might want to think about a BTE Venture 60 from Bruce Tharpe Engineering. Bruce designed the original 4-Star 40 and 120, but they made the 4-Star 60 after he left Sig. He designed the Venture 60 as what he would have done and it is truly fantastic plane. It's a good building plane that flies great. You might want to take a look.

http://www.btemodels.com/venture.html

(note: Bruce's website seems to be down at the moment. Hopefully he'll get it back up soon)

Ken
Old 10-24-2010, 10:09 AM
GaryHarris

I realize that Ill have to start learning to use the rudder more often and that's not a problem. I'm a fast learner with above average hand eye coordination with a transmitter from my 17 years of racing cars. But all that means nothing if I get into a bind, so I'm hoping for a plane that is somewhat forgiving like a 4*. But I already knew that I was asking alot and there is most likely no such plane made. And that's why I tossed this question out here. There's some really smart and experienced guys here on RCU and it's nice to have a forum like this to bounce ideas around.

Although I have been building kits for many years, I am still a rookie when it comes to flying. I have probably 300 flights altogether and that started with Pico Sticks to a LT40 kit that I has somebody take off and land for me some ten years ago, then a lengthy hiatus for the car thing and just in the last couple of years got more interested in building PLUS flying. In the beginning of my RC plane interest was all about building planes and I could care less about flying. I think I'm still more interested in building than flying but I have reached a point that Ill have to advance with my flying skills if I want to advance my building skills especially when it comes to scale and warbirds.

After listening to you guys here is my plan. I think Ken is right about the BTE Venture. I had a 4*60 that could of been my first plane and I thought it flew easier than my LT40 did. I wish I wouldn't of sold it. But this today and what I'm planning is multi faceted and sort of confusing even to me. lol I have short and long term goals and hopefully I'm approaching this right.

First, finish the re-build of my LT-25 and fly the SNOT out of it!

Second, finish my BUSA Eindecker 90 build and set it aside. I have WAY too many hours and care into it just to take it out and dumb thumb it into the ground.

Kitbash a BTE Venture into some sort of warbird looking plane and I'm thinking olive drab Solartex covering with either British markings or Japanese like a Zero.

All the while, have a long term goal of building a very sweet plane that I can put on and take off the building board starting a year from now or so.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:12 AM
GaryHarris

And that's the plane I can't decide on.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:57 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: RCKen

One that I want to build sometime might fit your bill

Spacewalker. Sig makes a 1/3 and a 1/4 scale plane
I've had my eye on one of these too. When we were on vacation this summer a guy would fly along the beach every evening in a full scale Spacewalker. it was black with red scallops and trim. I'd stop and stare at the plane and tell myself I had to get an RC version. Have you talked to Sig and seen if these are available at the moment? Might make a nice project for the rainy, foggy weather coming up after I finish my TF P-47.

I also like that Stinson. I bought the little Parkzone SR-10 yesterday. it is one of those planes that is as fun to look at as fly. Having a giant scale version would be great.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:04 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: GaryHarris

I realize that Ill have to start learning to use the rudder more often and that's not a problem. I'm a fast learner with above average hand eye coordination with a transmitter from my 17 years of racing cars. But all that means nothing if I get into a bind, so I'm hoping for a plane that is somewhat forgiving like a 4*. But I already knew that I was asking alot and there is most likely no such plane made. And that's why I tossed this question out here. There's some really smart and experienced guys here on RCU and it's nice to have a forum like this to bounce ideas around.

Although I have been building kits for many years, I am still a rookie when it comes to flying. I have probably 300 flights altogether and that started with Pico Sticks to a LT40 kit that I has somebody take off and land for me some ten years ago, then a lengthy hiatus for the car thing and just in the last couple of years got more interested in building PLUS flying. In the beginning of my RC plane interest was all about building planes and I could care less about flying. I think I'm still more interested in building than flying but I have reached a point that Ill have to advance with my flying skills if I want to advance my building skills especially when it comes to scale and warbirds.

After listening to you guys here is my plan. I think Ken is right about the BTE Venture. I had a 4*60 that could of been my first plane and I thought it flew easier than my LT40 did. I wish I wouldn't of sold it. But this today and what I'm planning is multi faceted and sort of confusing even to me. lol I have short and long term goals and hopefully I'm approaching this right.

Second, finish my BUSA Eindecker 90 build and set it aside. I have WAY too many hours and care into it just to take it out and dumb thumb it into the ground.

Kitbash a BTE Venture into some sort of warbird looking plane and I'm thinking olive drab Solartex covering with either British markings or Japanese like a Zero.

All the while, have a long term goal of building a very sweet plane that I can put on and take off the building board starting a year from now or so.
Maybe take a look at the TF .60 sized P-47. I am not going to lie and say it flys exactly like a 4-Star because it doesn't. It is a warbird after all. It isn't as difficult to fly as some other warbirds though. I have the ARF version and it flys like a sport plane a little on the heavy side in my opinion and landings are much simpler than other warbirds I own or have flown. The wide landing gear stance makes it handle well on the ground too. Looking at the specs, I imagine the kit version would be similar as long as you don't make it too heavy. Right now, I have the giant scale almost-ready-to-cover version in my garage. Going to get started on it this evening.

The venture is definitely a good one too. I have thought about getting one. You could always do it up in warbird colors and markings if you want.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:17 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Another good one to introduce you to warbirds would be the Top Flight T-34. This is what the military used for training of their pilots and would be a good step for you to learn about the way a warbird handles. It definitely will introduce you to rudder and has many of the flight characteristics of warbirds, but it is also very forgiving and will let you learn to fly warbirds without the hassels of flying a warbird right off the bat.

This one is also on of my favorites and is on my "to build" list. Not sure why, but I have always loved the lines of this plane

Top Flite T-34 Mentor

Ken
Old 10-24-2010, 12:17 PM
frets24
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How 'bout a J3 Cub? Great Planes has a nice 40 size kit with a 76.5" WS and you could do it up in a military trainer or recon scheme. Good plane for working on your rudder skills and lends itself very well to floats for expanding your horizons. Easy build with lots of room for adding options like flaps and would look great(and scale) with a fabric type covering.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:31 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

How do you land without using the rudder? Crosswind landings demand rudder. Learn, my son, learn.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:20 PM
crash bandicoute

ORIGINAL: mike31

How do you land without using the rudder? Crosswind landings demand rudder. Learn, my son, learn.

fly in nice weather. my left thumb only works for throttle motion.

i too think the mentor is going to be my big break into scale and warbirds, for that matter. it's just soooo expensive for the retracts. more than the darn plane costs. if you like it, or i guess not, you can go to airliners.net and do a search for it and there are way too many pics to choose from for scale representation. and it's got a nice cockpit kit. i wish top flight still made the P-39 air cobra. i'll have to scratch that one though.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:12 PM
WMB
My Feedback: (1)

Great Planes makes the P-51 and Corsair kits. .40 size
Old 10-25-2010, 12:31 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My club and Chucks club used to have a racing class just for the T-34. We used one make of ARF? Can't remember the make, sorry, for that class. The engines used were the OS .46FX so there wasn't a lot of money needed for this class. These are outstanding planes to fly, I forgot about them completely. As to flying like a 4*??? I wouldn't go that far but a lot of guys have used them for there second plane and loved them. A great choice as a first warbird. Buy an ARF to fly while you are building a nice kit. Oh my god, who said that!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-25-2010, 04:36 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

ORIGINAL: GaryHarris

Maybe take a look at the TF .60 sized P-47. I am not going to lie and say it flys exactly like a 4-Star because it doesn't. It is a warbird after all. It isn't as difficult to fly as some other warbirds though. I have the ARF version and it flys like a sport plane a little on the heavy side in my opinion and landings are much simpler than other warbirds I own or have flown. The wide landing gear stance makes it handle well on the ground too. Looking at the specs, I imagine the kit version would be similar as long as you don't make it too heavy. Right now, I have the giant scale almost-ready-to-cover version in my garage. Going to get started on it this evening.

The venture is definitely a good one too. I have thought about getting one. You could always do it up in warbird colors and markings if you want.

I did a lot of research on that plane and is still high on my list. Thanks. Also the T-34 Mentor as Ken suggests is another one I like.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:47 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: mike31

I use rudder Mike, it's just I haven't had a plane yet that required leading in with the rudder in the same direction as the bank. The plane would either crab or nose dive pretty hard. In fact, I dunno if I'm doing something wrong or not, but sometimes I use opposing rudder ever so slightly.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:02 PM
GaryHarris

I have an older version of Real Flight, 3.5 that I hardly use and just for grins I tried several of the planes that I flew the most. The Yak 54 is by far the easiest plane for me to fly. But that's understandable being it's a slow flying plane that reacts well. My second choice is what was suggested by several of yall, the Spacewalker! It feels like a 4*. I also like the Cessna 182. It flys well and looks cool.

I'm about to try a Bipe. I like WW1 planes a lot!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.