Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Midwest At-6

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Midwest At-6

Old 04-09-2002, 04:12 PM
MEMPHISBELLE
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Midwest At-6

Looking for power options for the midwest texan kit. something scale in performance. i am not a hotrod. how about any final weight numbers. anything i should know about building or flying. would like to use a gas burner. some say g-23 some say g-38 or g-45. i have the wing built with retracts. i am sheeting it with contest grade balsa to save some weight. I would be most greatful for ant input on this . THANKS WES MILLER
[email protected]
Old 04-10-2002, 02:28 AM
Trooper-RCU

Default AT-6

I have one of the same and it's powered by an os-1.08 swinging a 15x8 Master Airscrew. It's not slow by any means and mine doesn't have retracts!! I think the G 23 would be a GREAT combination if you want a gas burner!! I have pics if your interested in seeing any.

[email protected]
Old 04-11-2002, 12:17 AM
Bison
My Feedback: (1)

Default Midwest AT-6

I'm also starting to build a Midwest AT-6 with Robart retracts. I researched the newgroups to see what people were using for power. Some of the engines being used are the OS 1.08 (2C), Webra 1.20 (2C), OS 1.20 (4C), Zenoah G23 & G38 (gas). I actually purchased an OS 1.60 FX and a J'TEC muffler that fit completely in the cowl. Later on I changed my mind because I figured that the OS 1.60 FX would be too much engine and the prop ground clearance would be mininmal. After researchimg suitable gas engines, I bought an RCS 140 (22 cc) gas engine. Although about the same displacement as a G23, it is reported to generate more power turning a 16 x 8 at 9,000 rpm. I'm targeting a finished weight of 14 lbs or less. I came across one newgroup posting about a MW AT-6 with a RCS 140 flying at a weight of 15 lbs and reported not to be at a loss for power.
Old 04-11-2002, 11:59 AM
MEMPHISBELLE

Default AT-6

I understand that the plane is very tail heavy. model airplane news had a review back in 96 and it took 12ozs of lead to balance with a 120 o.s. up front. at 14 to 15 pounds the wing loading is about 30 to 32 ozs per square foot . that means hot landings. i have looked at the rcs140 supere nice engine. i think i will build mine ready to fly less engine the put it on the balance stand and see how much weight it is going to take to balance it . then make a selection on the engine. i am sheeting the plane in all contest grade balsa and lighting all the formers from f7 to f11. i am even cutting down the main stringers from their back. i want a final weight of 13 pounds max ready to fly. mybe i am dreaming but i am going to try.
Old 04-11-2002, 12:10 PM
WGRoper
My Feedback: (2)

Default Midwest At-6

I too have a MW AT-6, in the box still but I hope to start it soon. In researching powerplants, I narrowed my choices down to the RCS 140 or a 3W-24. The RCS gets the vote so far, as the weight, power, and cost seem to be just about right. This is my first gasser, so I initially started looking at the G23 or possibly the G38, but man are they heavy.

Anyone have experience with the Rich Uravitch fiberglass cowl, belly pan, and "Cosmeti-kit"? Thinking about ordering that stuff soon. Also, what retracts are you guys using? The Robart 620s?

I'm thinking about adding split flaps, all three of 'em and using an RDS type servo linkage to keep it more scale looking. Anyone tried that?

Greg Roper
http://bcma.rcclubs.com

BTW: If you haven't already, Model Airplane News has an excellent compilation of gas engine data in the April issue (I think). Not sure if the recorded weights include mufflers or not though, so a little bit of research is in order.
Old 04-11-2002, 03:35 PM
MEMPHISBELLE

Default AT-6

This is a very nice kit to built. I am not going to build in flaps. I talked with a midwest rep and he said the plane flies to good with out them. still concerened about it needing nose weight with the rcshowcase engine. should have mine complete in 2 or 3 weeks and will post the final weight.
Old 04-12-2002, 12:47 AM
Bison
My Feedback: (1)

Default Midwest AT-6

I have already built the two outer wing panels of my AT-6 with split flaps. I'm not planning to build the center flap under the fuselage. After researching this plane, I concluded that it would land too hot and require alot of runway to land without flaps, and if you slow it down too much on landing without flaps it has a tendency to "snap". As mentioned above the Midwest AT-6 usually builds tail heavy and requires nose weight. The RCS 140 is a lighter engine so my plan to limit nose weight for balance is to move the servo tray one bay forward in the fuselage and to move the throttle servo up just behind the firewall. I also plan to locate the ignition and batteries a far forward as possible. I'm also planning to use lighter (in density) balsa to build the tail and maybe portions of the rear fuselage. As you have already guessed, I started to build the wings of my AT-6 first to see how the split flaps would turn out. The split flaps built to my satisfaction so I'm continuing to build the rest of the wing using the Robart 620 retracts designed for this plane.
Old 04-12-2002, 02:47 AM
WGRoper

Default Midwest At-6

Do you have any pics of your split flap design? Just wondering how in the world I'm going to do that, I guess it'd help if I'd actually start building them.....

From everything I've heard, flaps are essential to landing this plane.

If you have any digital pictures, please email them to [email protected].

Thanks,
Greg
Old 04-12-2002, 09:55 PM
Trooper-RCU

Default Flaps

I'm sure that those of you who fly flaps wont agree with this but I've been flying my Texan for 2 years and I see no need in flaps on this particular plane. This plane has some tendencies to snap but I have experienced these at higher speeds ONLY !!! This is a Warbird as all have this characteristic......But I can speak from experience. Mine fly's Gr8 and lands fair......has to be a little hot and plant it on the main gear first!!! You will need to become proficient with your elevator as not to lift back up as you are trying to keep it from noseing over. Expo on elevator helps tremendously!! Yes I agree that you may need a little xtra runway but this is what I like to think makes me a better pilot. I just like how scale this warbird looks as you make your long approach and set up the landing just right. It's a thing of beauty!!
Maybe if I had flaps on mine I would change my tune.........I dont know. But as it stands......I would not change a thing about mine if I had to do it ALL OVER AGAIN !!!!!!!
Old 04-13-2002, 01:07 AM
WGRoper

Default Midwest At-6

Bison sent me some pics of his flap design, and I must say that if nothing else, they will enhance the scale lines of this plane. Should be perfectly functional, too

I certainly appreciate your comments, you're one of the first people to respond to many posts I've made that actually flies a MW Texan, not just now of one in the club or whatever.

I can't wait to get started on this kit, it should be a nice one.

Greg
Old 04-13-2002, 10:04 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

Default Midwest At-6

I started flying mine last summer and while it flys very well it really uses a LOT of runway on landing. It just does not want to slow down. This winter, I retrofitted mine with the center flap.
Old 04-21-2002, 01:00 AM
Graham-RCU

Default Midwest At-6

Considering this as a 1st Warbird.. does this kit/plans give you the option of building flaps.
Old 04-22-2002, 11:28 AM
WGRoper

Default Midwest At-6

The kit does not have flaps, although many have added them. Bison is adding flaps to his using a technique similar to the one TopFlite used on their AT-6 kit. You can still download the manual from their website (http://www.top-flite.com/manuals/topa0130-manual.pdf), it has a pretty good section showing the construction of the flaps.

Maybe someone should market a kit with replacement ribs and parts for building up the flaps, complete with drawings and assembly instructions???? I'd buy one.....
Old 04-22-2002, 12:47 PM
Graham-RCU

Default Midwest At-6

Thank you.. that suprises me very much that they would not allow for flaps in their plans. Is there another AT6 out there to look at? Thanks for the info re: re the Top Flite AT6..
Old 04-22-2002, 01:02 PM
WGRoper

Default Midwest At-6

Yellow Aircraft has a snazzy AT-6, but it'll cost ya...

http://www.yellowaircraft.com/at6.htm
Old 05-04-2006, 10:42 AM
SNIGGEMANN
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Midwest At-6

I have a Midwest AT-6 that I am in the process of finishing up. I elected to try a Homelite 25cc conversion for power so we will see how it goes. I received the plane mostly finished and it does not have flaps so I'll have to give it a go without them. It does have Robart retracts which should give it a nice scale appearance. Hopefully I will have it in the air within the next month or so and I will post a report whenever I get the maiden flight in the books.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:14 PM
WGRoper

Default RE: Midwest At-6

I managed to pick up a nice MW AT-6 at the Southeastern Model Expo in Perry, GA this past March. I've been futzing with it a lot lately and she's almost ready to fly. As a matter of fact, she would have flown this past Monday if I hadn't had issues with my cowling and a burned out glow plug and the fact I couldn't beat the sun setting. It's got a Webra 1.20 on the nose with a tiny J'Tec muffler that's way too loud. I recently received a new Brisson muffler, but haven't installed it yet.

I'll let ya'll know how it flies, hopefully soon. I'm soooo close....
Old 08-08-2007, 07:26 AM
GX Ame

Default RE: Midwest AT-6

I was wondering if you wouldn't mind emailing the pictures of your flap setup to me please.
I have a Midwest kit and will be starting it this fall.
Thanks
[email protected]
Old 08-08-2007, 09:07 PM
WGRoper

I'd be glad to. It may take a few days, but I'll make a few pics and send them to you. I've also got some pics from another RCU member of his flap setup during construction.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:06 AM
GX Ame

Thanks for the help.