Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

RC Kit Philosophy

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

RC Kit Philosophy

Old 07-31-2003, 08:51 PM
WhiteKnuckles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Kit Philosophy

I guess my question is a little strange. While everyone goes to building bigger and more expensive models, I am looking for "semi-scale" kits that are easy to build, inexpensive and fun. I think the .40 size is perfect as you aren't thrown around in wind, but don't have to start buying OS91 engines either.

I don't mind building up a nice warbird, but I also want something that is cheaper, easier to build/repair and causes less stress. I guess I'm really looking to enjoy RC without continuously upping the costs and build times.

Does anyone else share this philosophy? And if so what sort of WW1, WW2 kits (profile or otherwise) do you recommend?
Old 07-31-2003, 10:09 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pilot still makes both a P-51 and Zero in .30 size kits. Both models will fly very nicely with 30-40 sized 2-strokes or 45-50 sized 4-strokes.

Check out Model Rectifier Corp

John
Old 07-31-2003, 10:12 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great Planes makes a VERY nice 40 size P-51
Old 07-31-2003, 10:15 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel the same way you do. I was getting sucked into the "big plane" mentality. Suddenly found I didn't have any room and was spending a LOT of money. If you got the space and money, ok. But there is that down side for many of us. Also not flying them as much as I probably could because of the hassle and pucker factors. I have been going backwards, downsizing to the .45/.60 size stuff and having much more fun. I own 7 flyable planes in sizes .40 to 1.20. My favorite all-around plane is a Midwest SuperHots.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:00 AM
Azcat59

I have 18 planes, from 25 to 1.5, but I agree that the larger ones are more trouble, take more room to haul and store, etc. and the 40-60 size give a lot of "bang for the buck". As someone else said, the GT. Planes 40 size P-51 is a good airplane, as is its brother, the Corsair 40 (great little airplane). Too bad the old Jemco kits aren't still available, but they can be found at times on eBay.

Clair
Old 08-01-2003, 11:19 AM
Sprink

I have a Goldberg ultimate, and don't plan to get many more planes that size. One or perhaps two 1/4 scale will be my limit.

Even just with 40 to 60 size planes I spend far too much money. Also limited in space to build the larger planes. Currently building the little Lanier Extra 3.25. Now that is a cutie.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:12 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Royal makes some smaller kits, but they are not the cheapest. As stated, great planes makes them, and they are pretty good kits. Wing mfg makes a few short kits, and there are a lot of the combat kits that are kind of scale that are pretty good and cheap.
Old 08-02-2003, 02:40 PM
r1morris
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a thought . Have you ever tried building from a set of plans? Most model mags have published a great many aircraft designs, the type you are looking for. Its not all that hard and can be rewarding to have something very few have ever seen fly. Plus if do much of this type of building you'll find you can save money buying your supplies mail order.
Old 08-05-2003, 01:42 PM
WhiteKnuckles

Thanks for your responses. A few thoughts:

- GP's new profile P38 is exactly the kind of thing I've been thinking about. I wonder how it flies. I know there are threads on it.

- I think semi-scale is probably more fun to fly than true scale, as well as being cheaper. The wing loading is probably generally lower.

- I will check out your suggestions regarding manufacturers.

- Does anyone know a magazine name/issue that I should check out. I'd love to build from plans.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-05-2003, 01:43 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do a search on the GP profile kit. There are lots of threads on here. Check some of the other forums too.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:52 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's a great thread from the "Twin Engine" forum:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...19&forumid=220]
Old 08-05-2003, 09:21 PM
Azcat59

For plans, get the RC Modeler Plans Catalog.....many, many plans for all types of RC planes since about 1965 or so. Model Airplane News also has a catalog I think, as does Flying Models I imagine. The catalogs are worth it just to browse through and "hangar-build"!

Clair Sieverling