Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig LT-40 Build - By A Beginner

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig LT-40 Build - By A Beginner

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 08:47 AM
wazzbat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig LT-40 Build - By A Beginner

Well it has been a long while since I had my kit delivered from the US (HobbyHorse) but I am finally starting my build.

Just a quick bit of background - I had a crack at the hobby ten years ago but other interests/sports (mainly Aussie Rules Footy) quickly took over and I sold all my gear as quick as I bought it. Back then, I built a locally made Aeroflyte Hustler Mk III. It flew well until trying to pull out of a loop and that's when we found out I hadn't glued the aileron push rod tubes in place. They just flexed out instead of moving the ailerons like they should have. Anyway, I have decided to get back into the hobby now that my sporting days are over (30 years old and sore all over). I thought it would be a good way also to get my two young boys involved in something constructive when they get a bit older if they are keen of course. I am very keen to build as well as fly and after searching around my LHSs it quickly became apparent that things had changed a lot in 10 years. I could not find a trainer kit anywhere. So I ordered in an LT-40 and a Mid Star 40 and have been doing a lot of research on this forum since.

Over the last few weeks, I have been very busy with other things but have finally tied up a few loose ends and cracked open the LT-40 kit. I plan to follow RC Ken's thread and I will be taking my time to get this build right. I have fully read through the instructions once already and plan to do it again before I begin gluing/cutting/sanding anything but I did start to sort out and check all the peices tonight. Unfortunately I have found I'm missing a peice already[] It's only a small peice - the "grooved landing gear block". The peice that the landing gear rods sit inside of. Once I have finished checking all the peices, I will send an email off to Sig and see what response I get.

I will take photos as I go but I haven't worked out how to post them yet and as I have already mentioned, I will be taking my time on this. I'm guessing it will take me at least a few months to finish given the lack of time I will actually get to spend on the build. I can't see me being as in depth as RC Ken was but I thought this might still be good to see the build from a beginner's point of view.

Anyway - I look forward to hearing your responses to the many questions I'm sure I will have during the build. We are very lucky to have such a great forum where everyone can share their knowledge, skills and ideas. Of which I lack in every aspect at this stage.

Cheers
Old 11-15-2010, 09:37 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: Sig LT-40 Build - By A Beginner

Click here to upload images and files!
Waz, click on the EDIT botton and look for this or "Upload More Files" the rest is logical. Keep us posted, Thanks, Dave
Old 11-15-2010, 09:56 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2629917/tm.htm]How to post pictures[/link]
Old 11-15-2010, 03:58 PM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

Maybe forget the grooved LG block. Those wire main gears tend to bounce you on landing anyway.

Instead put a 1/4 " ply reinforcing plate under the main gear area. Then get a metal or nylon gear the right height from your LHS and screw it in.

You will probably do this later after some kangaroo hop landings anyway.

Tom
Old 11-15-2010, 06:23 PM
GaryHarris

Insert Kangaroo joke here.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:28 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Make it a taildragger, it will save you bent nose gears and blown out firewalls.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:00 AM
MinnFlyer

No, if you're a beginner, stick with the nose wheel.

Here's why:

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=866]Trikes vs Taildraggers[/link]
Old 11-16-2010, 11:01 AM
vmsguy

Having recently built the LT-40:

1. Stock landing gear is fine. The alternative mentioned in post #4 is also good too, it's your personal preference.

2. I never liked how the front wheel steering worked. I eventually redid it with the old-fashioned wooden dowel and z-bends. That's been the most reliable and simplest.

3. Personally, I prefer individual aileron servos. compared to the torque rods. Again personal preference. It's not a performance bird that needs it. But it was simpler for me to build that whay.. Again.. personal preference.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:11 AM
frenchie79

Mike,
may disagree here, every new guy that brings a trainer with tri gear spends more time taxiing, flipping the plane over, landing and flipping it over, spending lots of time straightening the front gear-I just don't know if the trike configuration is worth it. It is not that hard to learn using a tail dragging trainer. For some they may have to use it, but most ambitious new pilots, I would say start right with a tail dragger and spend time on the ground taxiing. Still up in the air on that one.
The LT 40 has some issues anyway making it a good tail dragger because of the elevator being over the rudder-can be done but a little more complex for new builder. It does make a good tail dragger plane though.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:41 PM
MinnFlyer

The taildragger / trike controversy has good and bad either way.

It's sort of like saying some people think it's better to learn to drive with a stick vs automatic transmission. Both have their good and bad points.

In general, takeoffs and landings are easier with a trike - PROVIDING you don't have a crappy nosewheel. If you do, well, that's like saying it's easier to learn to drive a stick than a car with a broken auto transmission.

Fix the nosewheel - problem solved
Old 11-16-2010, 02:14 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree with Mike that taildraggers vs. trike has merits both ways. I do want to add one point about trike gear. As stated above many beginners have problems with flipping their planes over while trying to turn, either when taxing or landing. This is usually caused by having too much throw in the nosewheel. This is a common mistake made by even veteran pilots with lots of experience in flying. When setting up the nosewheel on a trike gear 5°-10° is the maximum amount of turn that the nosewheel should have. Too many think that they need as much throw on the nosewheel (I've been guilty of this in the past myself) in order to control the plane. Unfortunately when they do this it causes over-control on the nosewheel which can cause the plane to flip over on the ground, as was mentioned above. Lower the throw down to 5°-10° of throw will correct this problem, and give overall better control of the plane on the ground.

Ken

Old 11-16-2010, 05:31 PM
wazzbat

Thanks for your comments but I'm pretty sure I will be building this one as per the included instructions whilst following Ken's thread.  This is pretty much my first build and I don't really want to make it any more difficult than I have to.  I was considering making it a two peice wing and/or a bolt on wing as well but again, this will just add more work and changes which cost me time and make it easier for me to stuff it up.  I might leave any modifications for my second build or I suppose I can always make changes down the track.

I spent another hour last night sorting the peices.  I din't think it would take so long just to sort them out.  I have had to cut out a lot of them because the weren't cut through enough.  Is that pretty normal?  That's why it's taking me so long.  Hopefully I can start putting a wing together tonight?
Old 11-16-2010, 05:34 PM
GaryHarris

Actually, it's easier to build it as a bolt down wing than trying to find rubber bands big enough!
Old 11-16-2010, 06:54 PM
fix-n-fly
My Feedback: (1)

I built and soloed with a LT-40. It is a very good plane to learn on, but I agree that if you have a hard landing you will be straightening out the landing gear for the nose wheel, as the nose gear that Sig supplies is somewhat soft. However, if you can get your hands on a Fults dual strut nosegear, that problem will all but go away. Tower Hobbies and other hobby shops have these. They are a little expensive, but they are worth every penny when you are learning on a tricycle gear airplane.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:32 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GaryHarris, For about 4 bucks any office supply store will sell you a bag containing a couple of hundred #64 rubber bands.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:42 AM
thuebner

Hi, I hope you enjoy building and flying your LT as much as I did mine. I initially built mine as per the plans, but I ended up rebuilding the fuse and one wing tip after having a bad crash. At this point I made it a bolt on wing. Not that there was anything wrong with the rubber band mount, I just prefered the look of the bolt on. Upgrading the main gear to a fiberglass or aluminum would be a good idea, but it isn't really necessary. I still have the stock wire gear on mine and it has many flights on it.
I also built the Mid Star as a tail dragger for my second plane and I still fly it fairly often. You will love this plane. It really is a winner.
Anyway, you cant go wrong with either plane, so build it the way you prefer and enjoy the trip. I hope they serve you well.

Travis

Old 11-17-2010, 07:36 AM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: 52larry52

GaryHarris, For about 4 bucks any office supply store will sell you a bag containing a couple of hundred #64 rubber bands.
#64 rubber bands wont work on a LT-40. Not big enough. I built my first LT-40 about 10 years ago and never could find any rubber bands. So I just converted it to a bolt down set up.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:59 AM
wazzbat

Sounds like I'm heading in the same direction as you Travis?  I just hope I can avoid the bad crash part though[].  I think I will keep the whole plane stock standard as per the plans including the bendy wire gears.  I'm hoping my landings aren't too bad by the time I fly it.  That's if I go with an ARF trainer first.

I just got back from the shed and tonight I finished off labelling and sorting all the parts.  Luckily there weren't any more missing pieces.  I'll fire off an email to Sig shortly.  Sounds like they are pretty good on the customer service side of things.  I probably wouldn't bother and just make a new piece but being new to building, I'm a bit worried I'd stuff it up.  I think it's best to get the part sent over.  I know it's a long way to post such a small/light part but at least that will make the postage cheaper.  I will let you know what they say.

It looks like I will get about 1 to 1-1/2 hours a night to work on the plane.  We put the kids to bed at 7pm and I start work early so I like to try and get to bed by 8.30pm but I can see that pushing out an hour or two once I get into it.  I won't be able to work on it every night though.  But the good thing is, I can walk away and leave everything as is because I don't let anyone else in the shed - especially the missus!  So I don't have to pack and unpack stuff every day.

I am at the first stage which requires glue so I left it alone for tonight (past my bedtime anyway) and might read a bit further along on Ken's thread and re read a few pages ahead in the instruction book too before I start throwing any CA about the place.  I was quite happy with the building board I ended up with.  I bought a piece of "soft board" 1200mm x 900mm and chopped it down the guts to end up with two 1200 x 450 pieces.  I have put one aside to use once I wear the other one out.  Soft board is the stuff that gets used for pin up boards so it should work OK hopefully?  I bought some light duty plastic covering today which was very cheap and used that over the "cut out" wing plan (don't worry - it's a photocopy - the originals are stashed away).  And I will check if it copied the right size when I start laying a few parts out next time.

Hopefully I can posts some pics in the next couple of days so you can see my setup.  It's a bit messy but I like to think of it as organised chaos.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:06 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Another point about tricycle gear. The Fults dual-strut nose gear is much stronger than the gear that comes with the kit. The kit gear tends to get bent sideways, which makes steering on the ground hard, and it doesn't stand up well to the bad landings that beginners sometimes make. You can get them from Tower (or from Fults, for that matter).

Another, minor, mod worth making is a piece of triangle stock along one side of the bottom of the fin for added strength.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:54 PM
wazzbat

I got a reply from Sig and they are going to send the part out to me.  Big thumbs up for Sig!!!
Old 11-17-2010, 07:49 PM
GaryHarris

I found some #67 rubber bands wazz. Shipping may be a killer though.

http://www.quicktechhobby.com/Mercha..._Code=SIGSH747

I would seriously consider going with a bolt down wing though. It's very easy to do and we can walk you through it. Rubber bands suck and they won't protect your plane any better than nylon bolts will.

And I agree Top Gun on the Fults front LG. The kit version is weak. I don't remember the length so use a tape measure to match up with the original.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=QDJ

As far as the taildragger vs. a nose wheel thing, I prefer a taildragger just because they look cooler and I had no problem going from a nose gear to a taildragger. And plus by the time you add a stronger nose gear compared to going to a taildragger, you have added quit a bit of weight and if I remember correctly, my two LT-40s came out nose heavy by at least 2 oz. running a Magnum .52 RFS.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:16 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Well, I'm going to go against the flow here when it comes to converting to wing bolts. I have nothing against converting the plane to wing bolts as I have done many conversions myself. However, for somebody that is training on the plane I like them to have the wing attached with rubber bands. When the wing is attached rubber bands it allows for the wing/fuselage to withstand more bumps and bangs. Let's face it, people learning to fly are a bit rough on planes. They get banged around a bit. With the wing attached with the rubber bands the bangs and bumps are absorbed by the rubber bands. When a wing it bolted on there is more chance that those bumps and bangs will translate into damage.

Also, there is more than just putting a couple of nylon bolts through the sheeting of the wing to convert it to bolt-on. Especially in the front dowels of the wing. The wing has to be reinforced so that they loads on the wing are transferred to the spar and load bearing structure of the wing. If this isn't done properly the wing will simply pull off in flight. That's a lot for a beginning builder to handle. I think that it's simply much easier for a new builder to build by the plans and leave the bolt-on upgrade for later.

That's my 2 pennies worth here.

Ken
Old 11-18-2010, 02:51 AM
wazzbat

I'm going to have to agree with Ken here.  I want to keep my first build as simple as possible.  I might change my next build (Mid Star 40) a little bit if I'm keen?  Cheers for the ideas though guys.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:35 AM
MinnFlyer

So where are the pictures? You should almost have that thing finished by now!
Old 11-18-2010, 10:07 AM
vmsguy

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

So where are the pictures? You should almost have that thing finished by now!

Uhm.. Mike...? just how long did it take you to build your Ultra Sport 60...?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.