Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Which Extra 300 kit?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Which Extra 300 kit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 02:31 AM
552transco
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Extra 300 kit?

Hi guys,

I am a new subscriber to the RC Universe. I have been viewing it for months and finally signed up. I wish they had something like this 20 years ago.
I am going to build my first aerobatic plane and after looking at tons of different models have narrowed it down to the Extra 300. I don’t know which kit to build. The Great Planes or the Carl Goldberg. I am going to use an O.S .91FX and Futaba 9CAP Radio. Does anyone have any opinions on which kit is better.
I will appreciate any opinion, good or bad.
Thanks for your help.

552transco
Old 08-02-2003, 03:00 AM
bill_bush

I've built and flown both the Great Planes and the Goldberg Extra kits. I no longer have the CGM Extra but I do have two GP Extras. One has a St75 and the other has a ST90. Both fly great. I've got more time on the one with the 75 and it has unlimited vertical and will hover around 1/2 throttle. I have yet to weight it but I'm sure its under 7.25 pounds. The other one has only been flown 5 times and the engine is giving me some fits. It builds really well and the manual is pretty good.

The CGM Extra I built a while ago so it was an older kit. I can't comment on how well they build now. But the old kit didnt build to well. Mainly it was the die cutting. I thought it was horrible. And the plastic parts aren't worth messing with. GP plastic parts are better but I'd still go with fiberglass parts on either. I powered the CGM Extra with a ST90 and it flew awesome. I wasn't in to the hovering and stuff I am now but it did everything that I could throw at it and then slowed to a crawl for landings.

Either way I think you'll like them both. The GP is cheaper and lighter but is also a little smaller than the CGM Extra. I've heard that CGM kits build better than they used to and still fly great as does the GP Extra. Either way I think you'll be pleased. I have been thinking about getting my old CGM Extra back or buying a new one. They both fly like bigger airplanes.
The 91FX should fly both great but the GP Extra will have better vertical performance than the CGM because the CGM is heavier.

Good luck!
Shane
Old 08-02-2003, 03:09 AM
552transco

Default Extra 300

Thanks Shane, I appreciate your time and input.
I couldn't figure out why the CGM cost more. I try not to go by the price. Getting older, and I hope a little wiser, I found just because something cost more doesn't mean it is better. It is hard to get out of that frame of mind.
Thanks again Shane,

552transco
Old 08-02-2003, 11:30 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I will put a big DITTO on the GP 60 size Extra. The kit is one of the best building kits I've ever built, and it is very light and very agile.

I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone who wants an Extra 300

PS, I flew mine with a YS 91AC, now my dad flies it with an OS 91. Either engine is excellent.
Old 08-02-2003, 01:04 PM
552transco

Default GP Kit

Thanks Mike, the Great Planes Kit was my first choice. I guess it is true what they say about sticking with your gut feeling. The more I look around the more I go back to the GP kit.
Thanks to you a few others, I think my mind is just about made up.
Thanks again Mike for your input,

Wayne
Old 08-02-2003, 06:14 PM
Sprink

I have recently completed the 40 size GP Extra, and am very impressed with how it flies, smoothest flyer I have owned. Ane everyone on RCU says the 60 size is even better, so now I want one of them as well.

Would probably put the Saito 100 in it, but I also have an OS 91 FX which is also looking for a new home.
Old 08-02-2003, 06:55 PM
552transco

Default Extra 300

Thanks Sprink for your encouraging words. I was just the opposite. I have a .40 looking for a home. I debated whether to buy the 40 or 60 version. I have been flying my 60 KKing Kobra for a long time and thought I should try something new. The Extra 300 just looks like a fun airplane.
Thanks for your time Sprink and your thoughts
Wayne