Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great Planes Spectra Kit Build Flaps Ailerons???

Great Planes Spectra Kit Wing Build.

Ailerons and Flaps (Crow).

Update Flaps inboard Ailerons Outboard As Shown Updated Pic.

I am presently building a Great Planes Spectra kit. I have pictures of what I have so far.
    The question is do the flaps (crow) go inboard and ailerons on the outboard on the wing, or reversed? Flaps (crow) at the outer edge and ailerons towards the inner?

I used a ΒΌ x ΒΌ basswood on the TE and reused the supplied ΒΌ tapered TE that came with the kit. I re cut all of the wing ribs and fitted them tightly.
    I also intend on running two ΒΌ x ΒΌ basswood strips along the two of the wing ribs to reinforce the ribs on the ailerons area, as well as one for the flap rib for a total of three.

If you look in the pic the ribs are marked in red and shown with the ΒΌ x ΒΌ basswood strip.

Also should the flaps (crow) be Β½ of the aileron surface?
    I have 21” of usable TE before the first poly dihedral of the outer wing and was going to go 12 ½” for the ailerons and 8 ½” for the flaps (crow).

Upgraded (re-cut) the inner set of wing root ribs out of 1/8 lite ply.
    Upgraded (changed) the 1/16 balsa upper and lower wing sheeting to 3/32nd balsa and will sheet the outer upper leading wing tip as well with 1/16 balsa wing sheeting.

I won’t be extending the wing joiner spar or the wing joiner box, too late to do the rip out and rework?

Also used neo magnets to retain the canopy, the rubber band idea seemed kinda lame. I used the magnets first on my Brushless KILLER 320 watt Multiplex Easy Star canopy and found many uses for them since.

The power system I will be using is the stock rimfire brushed 600 motor with a MP Jet Planetary Gearbox 3,8:1 ratio( No.8063) swinging a 28-20 11-8”Graupner Cam folding Prop (no.1329.28.20). Using a 40 mm folding spinner Battery will be a 7.4v 2s 4000mah lipo. Still deciding on the esc.

Also would Futaba s3107 mini servos rated 16.7 oz in. @ 4.8v (on hand) work for all surfaces on the wing? A total of four servos would be used, two for each wing. Separate and independent of each other with a 6 channel Spektrum AR6100e or the Nano receiver. Standard S3003 on the rudder and elevator.

I will post as the progress proceeds but rising @ 3:30 and working from 4:30 am till 3:30 pm leaves little time to dabble, build and still fix the flying addiction.

I will be looking for design patterns to cover it with. Transparent orange will be used (on hand), but not sure of what other color will be selected.

Does anyone know of a program or website that will let you pre-design your planes color scheme?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    I preffer torque over Speed any day.
    Warning...Pull up...pull up...pull up... Warning....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Great Planes Spectra Kit Build Flaps Ailerons???

I would put the ailerons outboard; you will get more mechanical advantge (leverage).  I am not sure how well the ailerons work on a poly wing.  I have a 2 meter sailplane (Lusy Speedy) with a flat wing and 16" ailerons near the wing tips. It is fairly responsive to control inputs but not like a sport plane.  It lands pretty hot but I can slide her in on grass with no damage (glass fuse).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello guys,

I am also in the process of building a Spectra and have a few pictures of my work.

I will be following this thread with the utmost attention.

Zor

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[:@]Before you Build the wing!!!![>:]

Page 10 Section D 3.
    Check the width of both the top and bottom basswood wing spars 1/8" x 5/16" x 24", (part no. SPRTW13). They are the ones that run down the middle of the wing length of the wing top and bottom that the wing ribs connect to.
    I found that mine were not the same dimension width wise so now I have to build one side up to match the top one in order to form a tight "Joiner Box".
    Due to the different widths the "joiner box" is not symmetrical, wider at the top and narrower at the bottom, So I will have to shim it in order to correct it.[:@]

Please check and match the width of both your wing (top and bottom) spars to eliminate any issues that you will encounter when you reach the "joiner box".

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I may be wrong but I thought that the 6 channel Spektrum AR6100e was/is a short range rx. I would hate to see someone lose such a beautiful glider.

I have a Great Planes Spectra kit built glider, that I have been flying for the past 15 years. Rudder and elevator control only. Spoilers would have been nice, but with power go arounds work.

About 4 years ago it got upgraded to brushless. Much lighter system, thermals better now, and can get very high. Thinking long range rx is needed.

Good luck with your build!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I did not have the spar problem. All eight pieces were the same width.

Zor

Edited by Zor Friday 26 Nov. 2010 at 07:47 )AM) to add pics.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fastone11,

On second thought, perhaps I should not have put in two pics in order to avoid readers thinking they are your pictures. In case someone is looking only at the pictures; like a "slideshow".

Plese let me know and I will delete them and re-edit my posting.

Regards de

Zor

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Updated on wing joiner box resolve.

I ended up using a 1/16”x 3/8” Basswood strip cut to oversize but will sand down later.

As you could see in the last post my wing spars were of a great different width.

I decided the way to rectify this would be by adding basswood to the lower wing spar to achieve a suitable width and strength without doing a β€œtear out” and rebuild.

I marked the basswood strip and cut it to oversize with a razor knife.

Glued with Ca and held in place with clamps and soaked with Ca.

I still have to sand down the strip to achieve the correct width to match the top spar so the box dimensions for the wing joiner insert will be β€œGood N’ Tight ”…….

The picture with the 1/8” and 1/16"Wing Joiner Laminations ( SPRTW04 ) show the four ply’s as one (incorrect see below )after I have shimmed it. Before I shimmed it would not even allow three of the laminations to fit inside the Joiner Box.

Joiner Laminations Correction:
    They should be constructed of two 1/16" ply pieces a 1/8" ply piece and the enclosed Aluminum Joiner Blade.
    The proper construction is of three plys one Aluminum joined in oder of one 1/16" ply, one 1/8" ply, the aluminum brace, and then another 1/16" ply.
    Thanks to Zor He had an attentive eye and caugth this error.
    I was using a older manual for the Spirit which is my next hopped up motorized build and mistakenly grabbed the wrong manual and continued. I need more SLEEEP? Or less WORK??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Repaired and 'GOOD N' TIGHT". I will sand down the ruff tomorrow and finisht the ribbing, or possibly start on the outter wing panel or possibly the left root wing..???
    But I will be flying in the daylight hours provided the weather holds out.
    I have a Brushless Multiplex Easy Star that I strap a Oregeon Scientific ATC-1000 video camera on and do areial footage as well as a frequent game of Tag or needle in the haystack mid air?? My dialup is too slow to post videos here in da' Countryside of Virginia, poor cows don't know what to think when the Easy Star swoops out of the sky.
    Will post more pics as the build progresses.
    Also flaps inboard and ailerons outboard is the concenses. I just was confused after seeing the reverse on Great Planes Flight sims 4.5. One of the slope gliders that I frequently fly has the flaps outboard and the ailerons inboard???

The picture with the 1/8” and 1/16"Wing Joiner Laminations ( SPRTW04 ) show the four ply’s as one (incorrect see below )after I have shimmed it. Before I shimmed it would not even allow three of the laminations to fit inside the Joiner Box.

Joiner Laminations Correction:
    They should be constructed of two 1/16" ply pieces a 1/8" ply piece and the enclosed Aluminum Joiner Blade.
    The proper construction is of three plys one Aluminum joined in oder of one 1/16" ply, one 1/8" ply, the aluminum brace, and then another 1/16" ply.
    Thanks to Zor He had an attentive eye and caugth this error.
    I was using a older manual for the Spirit which is my next hopped up motorized build and mistakenly grabbed the wrong manual and continued. I need more SLEEEP? Or less WORK??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

After sleeping on it I awoke realizing that now I have to build up or shim the outer wing spars on the inner wing tip in order to continue with joining of the outer wing tip.
    You can see in the pics that the difference is rather great and will need shimming.
    I will use the same technique and material as I did on the inner wing root spars.
    1/16” x 3/8” Basswood trimmed to oversize and sanded to final fit.
    I will also have to sand down the width to insure an even fit between the inner and outer wing spars when I joint the inner and outer wings together with the 1/32” plywood polyhedral braces ( SPRTW06 ).
    They say, β€œ A wing is only as good as you build it.”
    I would hate to experience a wing fold or collapse due to negligence in assembly or improper fitting of the parts. But all in all it’s just a hobby right???? β€œ$$$$”

Going flying for now, but hope to do more tonight if possible!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Have you considered adding the spoilers, one piece wing and bolt on options from the the Spirit 2 meter sailplane?  The Spectra wing is teh exact same wing and uses all of the parts from the Spirit.  Check out the instruction manual. 

http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/gpma0530-manual.pdf

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Fastone11

>
    >
    >

Going flying for now, but hope to do more tonight if possible!!

Hello all readers ____
    Yes that includes you Fastone11 ___Hey guys, I am in a good mood having slept till 11 AM.

We had our first traces of snow here overnight. Too cold for this old x&@%*^ to go flying.
    So this afternoon I will pursue more work on my Spectra.

Fastone11 is coming along very nicely and for me this is the first saillane I am building.
    Well ___that is relative ___I consider that all free flights, once the engine or elastics die out then the model is a sailplane (glider) ___Is it not ???

That is when we learned how to balance a model properly and set it up for its own natural gliding attitude and a decent angle of glide and landing.

It is even recommended in the Spectra manual to hand launch without power in order to set up proper balance and gliding ability before using power.

Hey . . . guys . . . are you missing the enjoyment of relaxing and unwind from daily shores by building something ? Build a sailpane and relax as well flying it.

Excuse me for going to the basement and doing more masking to finish painting the stabilizer and elevator.

Talk to you later.

Fastone11 ___ try to go to bed earlier and not 2 AM and 3 AM like I often do.
    I am up at 6 AM everyday. Today was a rare exception.

Hope you enjoyed your flying today.

Zor

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well flew yesterday in about 20mph+ winds but the Multiplex did fine. You could keep the throttle @ 1/2 stick and it would just sit there in the wind about 15 or so feet off the ground. Lot's O"Fun. Keeps the mind amused.
    Back to the Spectra Build:
    I will update the pic to reflect the Aileron & Flaps in thier true locations in which will simply be reversed from the original pic.
    Got the ouuter wing finished Last Night YAWN[sm=tired.gif]
    Redid the Wing Jojner laminations the Correct way. Thanks Zor. (Yes the wings of a Spectra and Spirit are the same but would rather recut than Steal parts...
    Made A sanding Table (pic) to achieve the correct angle on the wing spars LE and TE.[:@] Flat table but the sanding block has a 5 degree or so cut on the bottom to get the angle close. Glued the sanding paper to it with Titlebond. Works great !! There is other blocks in the pics too.
    I cut a piece of 3/32' Basswood as a support for the outter wing joint. It will glue inside the wing spars to reinforce the angle. I used the uhh extra 1/16" wing joiner lamination that I had errr left over from the eailer incident ...DUHOOO![X(] I will use the 1/16 Flex Plys that were included in the kit as well to trim out the sides of the spars as instructions say.
    Still have to do the deed and join them possibly later tonight or tomorrow?
    I will extend the 1/4" basswood that is on the inner TE of the inner wing to the first rib on the outter wing to keep the inner TE edge uniform and strong. As well install the remaining wing rib.

More Later.
    Still looking for programs that will let you desing your planes profile to scheme colors......

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fastone11,

I enjoy very much scrutinizing your pictures and looking at all the details.
    You are doing a super job.

When you come to the wing tip trianglular block carving there is a diagram in the manual concerning the orientation of that balsa block. The orientation that it is glued to the last rib is quite important.
    I suggest you visualize the finished shape before cementing it in place.

I did not pay enough attention to this and had a bit of a problem carving it. I am happy the way it ended up but I found it obviouos why they put such a diagram in the manual.

Another thing where I did not follow the manual is the threads they are showing around the dihedral box at the root of the wings. I did not want threads to show up under the coverig so I did not install any thread. Instead I glued in triangular corners (1/4" x 1/4") from the vertical parts of the box to the rib faces.
    I intend to devise some way of assuring that the wings are square (perpendicular) to the fuselage longitudinal axis when installing the wings but in such a way that if a wing hits a tree or a pole it can move and absorb some of the impact without damaging the fuselage. I have to do more thinking about how to do that.

Keepup the good work and the pictures coming.

Regards de Zor

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Zor

Fastone11,

I intend to devise some way of assuring that the wings are square (perpendicular) to the fuselage longitudinal axis when installing the wings but in such a way that if a wing hits a tree or a pole it can move and absorb some of the impact without damaging the fuselage. I have to do more thinking about how to do that.

Regards de Zor

Pull Up......Pull UP......Pull UP!!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Zor

Fastone11,

Regards de Zor
    Original Fastone11

Pull Up......Pull UP......Pull UP!!!!!
    Hey ___Fastone11 you may have given me an idea ___

Pull Up......Pull UP......Pull UP !!!!![:

If any mechanical motion of the wingspulls the wings UP it might do the trick.
    Sliding straight backwardwill not force the fuselage sides outward and would not damage them.

Now if any wing rotation force is applied like a leading edge hitting a pole or a tree forces the wings to go UP and the fuselage width is held by a couple of cross braces well cemented in it may provide both ___

1 An indexing to instll the wings square (perpendicular to the longitudinal axis and . . .
    2 A method of avoiding fuselage damage while the wings are forced to rotate by an impact.

This can be accomplished by having the top of the fuselage sidewall at an angle like may be 30 degrees and two 30 degrees wedges glued to the bottom face of the wing center sections that would sit right on top of the fuselage side walls.

Your idea of GO UP is not crazy and sure worth further consideration.

Thanks ___ your help is appreciated.

Zor

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello Fastone11,

I am trying to avoid construction pictures so that readers do not get confusedwith whose pic is this.

However here is 4 pics to show where I am at.

I have the left wing ready to cover and the right wing has yet to be built.

Have to finish (later today) the white stripes on the stabilizer.

The color scheme is going "by the seat of my pants" and the available material.

I have genuine "ceconite" fabric for the wings and using strictlygenuine dope as usedon full size airplanes.

How are you progressing Fastone11 ? More pictures ?

Best regard to all from . . .

Zor

P.S.: Yesterday evening RCUniverse was not fonctioning here.
    This morning I get "server error" trying to upload pictures.
    I will try to edit and add the pictures later today.

Editing at 13:52 EST ___I tried to upload the 4 pics and it showed as having uploaded successfully but I see 4 little rectangele that do not open the pictures. It keeps saying "loading" but does not load.
    End of editing.

Editing again at 14:00 EST ___I will try to uupload again and see what happens.
    I tried and got the server error again.
    End of editing.

Hey surprise ___checking at 19:41 EST ___the pictures are showing and the first three to the left do open but the fourth to the right keep saying "loading" and does not enlarge. Strange behavior.

I remove the fourth picture and re-uploaded it.
    It is now working ok.

Belive it or not ___the first pic is the shuttle piggy back on its 747 ___Hee Hee !!!

End

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ec89812.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	1528184   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hf10029.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	1528185   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Av68999.jpg 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	1528186   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	If10610.jpg 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	1528187  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah the RCuniverse servers were updating or chunking?
    Been a little busy but not much here is the latest updates of the build.

Outer Wing Sheeting:
    I took a straight edge and marked a centerline down the middle of the top spar.
    I test fitted a scrap piece of 1/16” balsa sheeting to the front LE and sanded the ribs in uniform to allow the 1/16” balsa to fit even on the top with the rounded edge of the LE.
    I then laid a sheet of 1/16” X 3” balsa sheeting on the wing panel and lined the back edge of the balsa with the center mark on the spar.
    I rechecked the alignment of the front of the balsa edge with the front LE point to insure I had enough width in the balsa to reach the extreme edge of the wing LE.
    I held the balsa in place with my hand and flipped it over on the work table and traced the inside line of the back of the LE of the wing.
    Then cut the balsa sheeting out with a razor knife and a straight edge for a clean-cut line on all the edges.
    Trial fitted and sanded lightly to remove the rough edges.
    Pinned in place with stickpins and will be glued in after the outer wing and inner wing are joined together.
    I will also be splicing a small strip of 1/16” balsa down the top of the spar to even out the balsa sheeting with the far edge of the spar for a more appealing visual to the eye.
    The sheeting went rather well and uneventful.
    I also took this time to sheet the inner wing with the 3/32” X 3” balsa sheeting to increase the strength of the wing. I also sanded the ribs to ensure a smooth surface from the LE to the sheeting.
    I will fine sand and final fit the 1/16” and 3/32” balsa sheeting at the joint of the inner and outer wing after the w3a and w3b ribs are in place.

Name:	Tr50569.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	1528816   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mh21070.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	1528817   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ua70732.jpg 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	1528818   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ey70955.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	1528819   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Do82884.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	1528820  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kb45610.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	1528821   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oq21179.jpg 
ID:	1528822   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ih24606.jpg 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	1528823  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fastone11,

It seems a good idea to install a leading edge sheeting on the outer part of the wings.

I do not know or do not remember what covering you are planning to use.
    If you go for heatshrink plastic and if you have used CA glue to build the structure, it certainly will help if the wing outer area hits a pole or tree.

I finished the painting of the feathers. My next move is to cement the hinges, re-install the tail skid and the control linkages to the servos.

I queried this morning about the approved glue for the ceconite (it is called "Ceconite New Super Seam) and the minimum quantity is one quart for #30.00. The only gluing I have to do is 156 inches (top and bottom of the wings trailing edges. i certainly will not spend that money for perhaps one or two table spoons of glue. I will use "stix-it" already on hand. Stix-it is compatible with nitrate dope and that should be fine.

Who knows if it is not the same basic product under a different brand name.

Talk 2 U later.

Zor

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

To see the pics normally expanded in post #18 ___

Click the first small pic then use the arrows at bottom left to switch to the other pics.

Zor

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fastone11,

Ya ___me again,

I have been wondering if I understand properly the following modifications you are making.

1 You haveprepared a sheeting to be installed on the top side of the outer part of the wings from the LEto the spar.
    2 You have installed a 1/4" x 1/4" spar at the trailing edge of the inner wings to which you will hinge flaps and ailerons.
    3 You are using the original trailing edge material to make flaps near the wing root and ailerons further out from the flap to the joint of the outer wing. The outer wing remains with an unmovable trailing edge. The trailing edge remain a straight line all the way except for the dihedral angle of the outer wings.

Questions ___
    Will you be using four (4) servos to operate the flaps and ailerons ?
    What covering method and material are you planning on ?
    Will you be using elastics to hold the wings to the fuselage as per original design ?

Comments ___
    You have given me the idea of perhaps installing flaps and ailerons but in a different way.
    I am thinking of keeping the existing trailing edge as is being a fairly strong acting spar. Perhaps remove a bit at the rear end to match a 1/8" thickness and use added 1/8"sheeting semihard balsa for flaps and ailerons. Something like the existing elevator.

I would then use thin wing type servos to operate these added control surfaces.Two servos for the flaps extending from the root of wings to the dihedral joint of the outer wings and two servos for the ailerons extending full trailing edge of the outer wings. The chord of the flaps and of the ailerons could be anything I decide on.

The whole modification would increase the wing area by the areas of the flaps and ailerons.

Since the wing ribs are solid 1/16" thick I will make small openings in each rib that line upto eventually pass electrical wires to the servos.

Hey is this not part of the fun of fooling around with such a model ?

My three servos are now doing their function with the linkages installed and more than 1 1/2" deflection available on the rudder and more than 1/2" (actually more then 3/4") available on the elevator. This as suggested for the control deflection per the manual. I had to cut away a small angle at the bottom rear of the rudder so it clears the horn mounting of the elevator when the elevator is fully up.

I am now at the main battery installation and planning on some shock absorbing medium between the battery and the fuselage former. This former will also be reinforced with corner pieces to reduce or eliminate the battery causing major damage in a frontal impact. Yes . . . always thinking that way from "The Good Old Times" ... ... Hee Hee !

I do not yet have figured out the details of thereceivers (plural) installation. The receiver(s) /servo battery will be on top of the motor battery and used to adjust the CG location. The main receiver will be behind (closer to the tail) the main motor battery to avoid damage from the battery in a head on collision.

What it looks like at this moment is that the main receiver will be velcroed to the left fuselage side between the man batteyy and the servos with the antennas near the bottom going front to back. That makes the connectors on top when removing the wings and the satellite receiver on the right fuselage side with the antennas nearly vertical.

I do not have much choice and the antennas would be at nearly 90 degrees with each other and a couple of inches apart. There is not much space in this small cross section fuselage.

One thing I did not yet figure out. The inner doublers of the fuselage sides have some triangular openings whch I thought can only be some weight reduction. A ridiculousIy small reductionI think.
    I now think it was done to provide edges for gluing since they use thin CA. That make more sense. I have used alphatic resin and pressed the laminations.

Now that brings similar triangular openings in the fuselage bottom. I still have not figured out their purpose. I sure do not want opening in the fuselage bottom.

Any idea why the triangle openings in the fuselage bottom ???

Enough for now: enjoy the Holiday Season.

Zor

Edited by Zor Saturday 04 Dec. 2010 at 19:28 EST to correct spelling errors.
    No change in the text.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ZOr Questions Answered:
    1. Yes four servos
    2. Top Flite Monokote applied with Heat gun and iron.
    3. Will be using rubber bands or possibly Surgical tubing, yet to be decided.

I figured the triangle openings on the bottom are for ventilation...... and possibly weight reduction? The one on the side in the servo tray area are possibly for weight reduction. I was going to glue the ones on the bottom inplace, but decided to remove them due to the modified motor mount that I made to support the extended length of the motor due to the planetary gear box addition. See pic below. I also thought of cutting another hole in the front of the first ventilation hole on the bottom of the nose area to improve motor cooling, but thought it would weaken the frame too much......

Build Update:
    Have completed the outer and inner wing joining. YEAH!!!
    Making magnetic retained servo hatches two per wing.
    The servo frame in the wing and the bottom removable servo frame are constructed from basswood, 1/8" X 1/4". I also used 1/8" round by 1/8" neomagnets, 1/4" X 1/4" for both of the servo mounting posts backed with scrape pieces for extra support, and a piece of 3/32" balsa sheeting for the bottom cover.
    The red line on the servo hatch shows extra balsa to sand per fit later upon covering for a tight fit. You want to leave a little bit of a gap around the removable servo tray to allow for the monokote covering later. The post that the servo will mount to is basswood, the backer for one is balsa the other is basswood. I also went and added a piece of basswood on the trailing edge (flush with the bottom of the wing) of the servo bay to frame in the tray so the monokote will be attached to a secured footing. (will update pic to reflect this.)

Also keep in mind height of the servo in realtion to the wing ribs.

Also you may want to make the servo mounts either tight if your going to use the same servo time after time, I made mine a little loose for the Futaba s3107 on hand, and tight for a couple of Hextronik HXT900 that I have laying around new. I may also upgrade later to a set of Hitecs if needed later????? Servos vary in size from style to style...

I will post detail construction of the servo hatch builds tomorrow. I'm in the middle of the second one now and will take pics as needed.

Name:	Hf98920.jpg 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	1530376   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mh20084.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	1530377   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	In26609.jpg 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	1530378   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nh11211.jpg 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	1530379   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ny25812.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	1530380  

Name:	Tj74021.jpg 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	1530381   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tv39577.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	1530382   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	On46204.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	1530383   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hf98434.jpg 
Views:	20 
ID:	1530384   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Om31893.jpg 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	1530385  

Name:	Bw71365.jpg 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	1530386   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ou49583.jpg 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	1530387  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hidden neomagnetic servo detail build:
    Here are some detailed pics of the build of the servos in the wings.
    Email if you need any questions answered.
    I will be trying to spend more time on the build but work is getting in the way?
    Should be sheeting the wing tomorrow or sometime this week? Possibly starting other wing before the week is out........
    Also building a MS Composite Swift II with leds for night flying......... will post updates if anything interesting should arise.
    Weather suxzzz cold, if it snows "enough" this year I plan on building a version of a Dumas Swamp boat out of coroplast to amuse the time in the snow.. if "IF" it gets deep enough???

Name:	Wu60083.jpg 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	1533027   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yt62176.jpg 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	1533028   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nt46266.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	1533029   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vp39413.jpg 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	1533030   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kv17690.jpg 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	1533031  

Name:	Qg64282.jpg 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	1533032   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ya58145.jpg 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	1533033   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yw78925.jpg 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	1533034   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tr21240.jpg 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	1533035   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ht89404.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	1533036  

Name:	Ms80355.jpg 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	1533037   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yi43321.jpg 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	1533038  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hidden neomagnetic servo detail build:
    Here are some detailed pics of the build of the servos in the wings.
    Email if you need any questions answered.
    I will be trying to spend more time on the build but work is getting in the way?
    Should be sheeting the wing tomorrow or sometime this week? Possibly starting other wing before the week is out........
    Also building a MS Composite Swift II with leds for night flying......... will post updates if anything interesting should arise.
    Weather suxzzz cold, if it snows "enough" this year I plan on building a version of a Dumas Swamp boat out of coroplast to amuse the time in the snow.. if "IF" it gets deep enough???
    Hi Fastone11,

Have not heard from you since 11 December.
    You are the only fellow I know also building a Spectra sailplane.
    How is it coming along ?

I have done no progress on mine in the last month. I have used it for playing with the DX7.

I would like to hear from you.

I do not know if the forum have cured their image posting glitch.
    Any pics I posted recently I did one at a time; that is a PITA .

Happy New Year.

Zor

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Been busy with the holidays.....falling asleep in my chair as well as sitting at the computer. Days are getting colder and the snow is falling once a week or so. I will hibernate to the basement and try to get more done in the coming week. I did start sheeting the outter wing tip but still have more to do in the weeks to come.
    Hope all is well with you and yours....
    Happy New Years.
    And it looks like i should begin to build a Snow boat to run in the snow for fun.
    Check back l8tr,
    Fastone11

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast