Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

painting plane and parts

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

painting plane and parts

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 11:59 PM
crash bandicoute

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting plane and parts

not really sure where to post this, but it's for a kit, so i guess here will work. i have a plane fully sheeted and want to paint it instead of covering. i don't want to use rattle cans because of the inaccuracy and overspray, so i'm looking at an airbrush or something a little more. the wing is about 56", so a normal airbrush would be a little understated, for a good camo job. what size airgun should i be looking at for a more economical purchase for using on this size ofplane? it's not going to be a small or tight camo pattern, but i'm looking for something between the airbrush and rattle cans. any ideas people are using?
Old 11-26-2010, 12:39 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: painting plane and parts

Go to your local automotive paint supplier and look at small trim guns. They are used for spraying the door jams, top of the fender wells under the hood, under the trunk deck etc. They are small and usually only hold about 1/2 pint of paint.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:39 AM
warbirdcolors
My Feedback: (5)

Go to Harbor Freight, and pickup a detail gun. They usually have them for under $20, typically a 4 oz. gravity feed, sometimes larger...I've had great experience with them with my product..
Old 11-26-2010, 06:59 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

I agree with the Harbor Freight detail gun. I have one and it is superb for airplane painting. I also purchased a HVLP gun and if you are considering latex paint I would not suggest this type of gun. I had a difficult time getting the spray pattern correct. I am just finishing up a Sig 1/4 Clip Cub with latex.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79526.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	1528119  
Old 11-26-2010, 08:37 AM
chuck l
My Feedback: (17)

Are you painting over the bare wood, if so, it won't look very good?
Old 11-26-2010, 11:57 AM
crash bandicoute

BPS, your cub is, wow. what kind of tapedid you use for cutting the lines? i've tried using the blue painters tapeand smashing the edges with a credit card before, but still manage to get paint under the edges.no, i'm not painting directly on the wood. it's got .5 oz glass cloth laid with the polycrylic minwax stuff, sanded to baby's butt soft. i was looking at harbor freight, actually, but didn't know which one to get. so that's cool. and this will hook up to a regular shopair compressor? minus buying the couplings, of course...

Warbirdcolors, where do i get your paint? are they enamel based or latex or what?

editednevermind, i see the website.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:26 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the secret to getting those lines down tight is to shoot the opposite color paint and let it dry and then shoot the color you taped for. Hopefully that makes sense
Old 11-26-2010, 06:15 PM
chuck l
My Feedback: (17)

I've used WBC colors several times and was very pleased with the ease of application and results. The only problem though, Chuck only has war bird colors which is pretty limiting when painting anything other than a war bird.

Chuck
Old 11-26-2010, 08:09 PM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: crash bandicoute

BPS, your cub is, wow. what kind of tapedid you use for cutting the lines? i've tried using the blue painters tapeand smashing the edges with a credit card before, but still manage to get paint under the edges.no, i'm not painting directly on the wood. it's got .5 oz glass cloth laid with the polycrylic minwax stuff, sanded to baby's butt soft. i was looking at harbor freight, actually, but didn't know which one to get. so that's cool. and this will hook up to a regular shopair compressor? minus buying the couplings, of course...

Warbirdcolors, where do i get your paint? are they enamel based or latex or what?

editednevermind, i see the website.
Just like Ram-bro stated. I used the blue painters tape, reshot the base color to seal the edges and then shot the trim color. A lot of work for a plane with this much trim.