Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Help needed

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Help needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 01:53 PM
JanetC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed

Hi everyone, I am not new to building. Just RC..... My Dad got me into kitbuilding years ago. I have just restarted in my spare time. Does anyone know of the Convertable by pecks polymers and wether it would make a good rc plane?... I love the design..Thanks
Old 08-02-2003, 07:15 PM
rogerflies
My Feedback: (3)

Default Help needed

It looks like it's meant more for rubber-powered free flight than for RC. Why not go to the Prairie Bird 50, also by Peck Polymers? It's a bit larger, has very similar looks, and it's designed for RC.

Roger
Old 08-03-2003, 12:18 AM
jettstarblue

Default Help needed

Janet, Welcome.

Are you planning to make it a glow powered plane, or electric?
You may concider enlarging the plans (Convertable) to fit your needs. However, if you go that route, be sure to strengthen the appropriate areas. (landing gear mount, motor/engine mount ect.)
You've stated that you have built some of these, so it should be noooooo problem.

Jetts

P.S. check out the thread in the "Clubhouse" section, named "This one is just for fun", for a chance to win a GWS "Pico stick" park flyer!
Old 08-03-2003, 02:16 AM
JanetC

Default Help needed

Thanks for the welcome and input guys, I did see the PrairieBird 50, but the span is 50 inches.....rather large...I was looking for something smaller with an old timer feel about it....I wouldnt enlarge plans on the other one for the same reason. ....any other ideas?...
Old 08-03-2003, 03:47 AM
William Robison

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Help needed

Janet:

I also welcome you.

The convertible would make an excellent r/c plane as a rudder only, or possibly rudder and throttle.

I'd be inclined to rudder only and use a Cox 020 reed engine on it.

P-P says it's adaptable to glow, so they will probably have some included notes also.

Have fun with it.

Bill.

PS: Your sig line - I'll give you the chocolate, but I'll bet you're too young for me on the other. Haw. wr.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:30 AM
JanetC

Default Help needed

Thanks Bill, and I see that I didnt specify in response to Jstars reply, I wanted to make this an RC electric Flyer. I know it may sound like a narrow project here, but this is a first time thing for me and I am not interested in ARF or RTF. I am not interested in glow or CO2. Any other ideas would be welcome as far as kits and power, provided its an old timer design with a Cabin and not very large. Thank You for your kindness in responding.
Old 08-03-2003, 11:00 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help needed

Janet,
I'll toss in my welcome, to both RCU and RC flight. Great bunch of people and we're (more than) willing to give advice.

I'd make one observation; small RC aircraft do not fly very well, at least outdoors. They're generally tossed about badly by wind, so the larger wingspan may be advisable until you've learned.

I think electric power is ideal, especially for converted free flight planes. That Prarie Bird 50 could most likely be pulled by an inexpensive 05 size electric motor. (I'm presuming that you're not interested in spending $160+ for the motor and ESC, plus another $50 to $100 for the battery packs(s).)

If the plane can be kept to 20 to 24 ounces AUW (All Up Weight) then a speed 400 size motor would pull it fine. (With electrics you can usually expect at least 1/2 your weight to be in the flight equipment.)

I'm hoping that some of this info will be helpful, but I'm going to stop for now. (I may be telling you stuff you're fully aware of. )

In any case, welcome.
Dennis-
Old 08-03-2003, 11:09 AM
JanetC

Default Help needed

Thank You DB....I do appreciate your input. Okay........I dont know about a lot of things, so talk away.....re: The PB 50....rather larger than I wanted....Ok I am confused now...
Old 08-03-2003, 11:24 AM
jettstarblue

Default Help needed

Janet,
For those of us who are not familiar withe the P/P "Convertable", please fill us in on some specifications. Wing span, Wing area, type of plane ect.
Also, if you go to the "Park Flyer" section, you should find a lot of help from the experts of the small electric planes, both for indoor, and outdoor use.

Jetts
Old 08-03-2003, 11:31 AM
JanetC

Default Help needed

ok, its at the site below , but i cant url the pic..its in the kits section under sport models, not much info I'm afraid........maybe you or someone knows of something similar?
Convertable
32 inch wingspan
Old Time Model
R.O.W. or R.O.G.
Designed for rubber but adaptable to CO2, glow or electric
http://www.peck-polymers.com Maybe I am out of my league here.......
Old 08-03-2003, 11:45 AM
jettstarblue

Default Help needed

Janet,

Looks like a candidate for a 280 size motor, with a geabox,(easily obtainable from Tower Hobbies, and the like.)
A micro radio set up w/throttle (speed controller) elevator, and rudder. Laser 4 from Hitec is a good one, available from Tower for 109.99. A 10 amp speed control for throttle will run about 25 dollars, and a 270-350 mah nicad pack will do it.
Never are you out of your leauge, just ask a lot of questions, and you'll be flying soon. Hope this helps,

Jetts

P.S. Pick up a copy of "Flying Models" magazine, or"Model Airplane News" magazine, and look at all the ads for these items.
Old 08-03-2003, 11:54 AM
JanetC

Default Help needed

Kewl Jstar, I copied the info and printed it out...Thank You so much!!! I love this forum here......You Guys are great!! I will order the Kit and keep ya's updated...I am quite sure I will be pickin on all of you through the assembly process. I dont want to post in the wrong thread though....Should I stay in this one?..... PS: sorry but whats the gearbox and what does it do?
Old 08-03-2003, 11:57 AM
jettstarblue

Default YES YES YES

Yes, this one, or you can also post on the electric aircraft forum, under "park flyers". You will find a lot of info for your project there.
Happy building!

Jetts
Old 08-03-2003, 12:02 PM
jettstarblue

Default OPPS!

Janet,

Almost forgot, the gearbox reduces the load on the electric motor, and allows the use of a larger, more efficient propeller. It will also increase your flying time. Not completely necessary, but a good way to go with a slower flying plane, such as you are building.
You should be able to get a gearbox/motor combo for under twenty dollars.

Keep us posted!!!!

Jetts
Old 08-03-2003, 06:05 PM
William Robison

Default Help needed

Janet:

If you are a rank amateur at this, you might be well advised to get an airplane set that is a proven electric for your first one.

Check Dare Design, http://www.darehobby.com/ they are largely electric, and the instructions will lead you through to a successful flier.

You could also go to any one of several others for a similar kit or design.

If you are willing to go larger, the "ElectriCub" is a good flier, and if you decide a six-foot wing span is OK, the Goldberg "Electra" is a nice plane.

Regardless, have fun with whatever you build.

Bill.
Old 08-04-2003, 01:15 AM
DBCherry

Default Help needed

There are also a number of small foam electrics that might offer you an inexpensive way to learn the actual flight controls. GWS makes an electric Cub and a Tiger Moth. Both in the 30 ish wingspan range, and they sell for around $45 with motor and gearbox. (Unfortunately insufficient power for your Convertable.) But the low EDF (Emotional Debt Factor) of a cheap foam plane is an advantage.

Good info from Jett. Just make sure the Laser 4 (or similar) you order comes with mini or micro servos and mini receiver. For Hitec it would be HS- 55 servos and 555 receiver.

Good luck, and ask away.
Dennis-
Old 08-04-2003, 01:19 AM
jettstarblue

Default Note to JanetC

The above mentioned Hitec Laser 4 with the micro dervos and 555 reciever are available from Towerhobbies.com for just about 109.99 if it's still on sale (they always are) 114.99 if they aren't.

Jetts
Old 08-04-2003, 01:36 AM
JanetC

Default Help needed

Thanks for the links to the dare site. they have some beautiful kits. I love the Curtiss Robin. I know I should go with a proven setup. But I cant find an old time design thats not humongous. A flying aces Moth type plane or the zephyr would be perfect. Does anyone do RC electric with these old designs? and on a 30 inch or less span? I have seen the cubs and their cute, But half the fun....actually most of it for me is in the build time. Still gonna build that convertable I think, But I have room for more. Gosh i want to build them all,it seems like. I wish I had the time .
Old 08-04-2003, 01:50 AM
jettstarblue

Default Help needed

JanetC,

Follow your heart, build what you want, and you can put a 1,2, or 3-4 channel radio in just about anything. Go with the Convertable for now, as you planned.
There are several "old timer" designs, altered for R/C. Pick up an issue of "Flying Models" magazine, or "Model Airplane News" they generally have all kinds of these planes advertised.
You said it there too, "gosh I want to build them all, it seem like, I wish I had the time."
You DO have the time- the rest of your life.

Jetts
Old 08-04-2003, 01:51 AM
William Robison

Default Help needed

Janet:

If you insist on a small plane have at it. But setting one up for eledtric can be a real can of worms.

With glow power the engines are light enough, with sufficient power, that it's hard to make one that will not fly. Maybe not fly well, but fly. Electrics are not this way, they tend to be heavy and low powered unless you get some really expensive bits and pieces.

And that's why I still strongly recommend going with an already proven design.

Now. That being said, the Guillow's line includes some nice small planes that have been successfully converted to powered flight. They all come as rubber, as does your Convertible, but most are even smaller.

Good luck to you.

Bill.
Old 08-05-2003, 01:21 PM
DBCherry

Default Help needed

Janet,
I realize that the building is your primary joy in this (at least for now), but if you're truly thinking about flying these then I would seriously consider buying a cheap foam electric, like the GWS Cub, to learn on.

They'll use the same mini/micro radio equipment required for your chosen aircraft, so that's money well spent. The rest of the cost, plane and motor/gearbox, is roughly $35. They go together in about two hours and are easily repaired in a mishap. (Unlike your balsa beauties!)

Just food for thought.
Dennis-
Old 08-06-2003, 12:50 AM
JanetC

Default Help needed

Thats a good idea Dennis, In fact I was considering the J3 cub after William mentioned it. I looked at quite a few and found a cheapy at this link, because I dont want to spend a lot on a first flyer. Heres the cut and paste link. Tell me what you think about it.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/128310.asp
Old 08-06-2003, 01:27 AM
DBCherry

Default Help needed

Janet,
I think the Wattage Cub would be fine, but that radio equipment will be inadequate very quickly.

If you can buy the Cub alone, then the radio stuff seperately, that's the way I'd go.

Here's a link to the GWS Cub I mentioned. Which is nearly identical to the Wattage Cub I believe. (GWS may even make them for Wattage.)

http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...p?prod=GWS1015

This is a link to what I think should be your minimum radio equipment. It's a Hitec non-computer, 4 channel set up with 2 Micro servos and a micro receiver (Rx). I would ask when ordering if it's a "Feather" Rx. If it is, ask how much to get the 555 Rx instead. (The Feather is single conversion and prone to interference.)

http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...prod=HRC156723

If you can afford a bit more get this one with HS-55 servos and 555 Rx. (It's actually going to cost more with the micro servos and Rx though.)

http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...prod=HRC154721

You'd still need a battery pack or two. (The one that comes with the Rx won't work for a flight pack.) You'll also need an ESC, but get a slightly bigger one than recommended for the Cub so it's usable in other planes.

Okay, if you need/want more, let us know.
Dennis-
Old 08-06-2003, 01:58 AM
William Robison

Default Help needed

Janet:

I'll echo Dennis' comment on the WattAge Cub, the on-board equipment wont be good for much else. Also, you may have noticed "A/C Charger." This means you can fly the plane at your local field, butwhen the battery goes flat you'll have to go home to recharge it. So you will need to add a DC charger to the cost of the plane and radio set. I don't know, you can ask Hobby People, but I have the feeling the range on the WA tx/rx set in the Cub is probably not more than 400' or so. Another big limit for later use.

If you get a good DC charger it will not be limited to this one plane, of course, and given reasonable care the WA Cub should last a long time. While you're having a good time with it you can be building another more complex airplane to move up to.

Hobby People are also the agents for Cirrus, and the Cirrus MRX-4 reciever is a four channel unit, about the size of a half dollar, best part is the price - $20 less crystal. Limited range, about 1000' but more than sufficient for a small electric - you wont want to fly it a quarter mile away, you wont see it.

And finally, just for something to play with yu can go to Walmart and get a two or three channel RTF fir $70-$80 - yes, they have others a lot cheaper, but you want at least rudder/elevator or elevator/aileron control, and you want them proportional. The cheaper ones are either not proportional, or they are single channel.

HTH/

Bill.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:52 AM
Gollywock

Default Help needed

I have built the P/P Dietrich 'Convertable' complete with a 15 inch carved balsa prop. It was a great flyer, got into a boomer and went oos, after it D/T'd. It was pretty light, best I remember about 3 ozs. I've never flown one R/C, but with a little re-engineering, its certainly possible with this new micro R/C equipment. Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.