Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Who makes the best quality kit these days?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Who makes the best quality kit these days?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 02:19 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Who makes the best quality kit these days?

ORIGINAL: ARUP

Proctor Enterprises and Glenn Torrance Models are the best, highest quality kits made in these United States bar none! Anyone can argue the point but you will be wasting your time with me! Period!
Mick Reeves has very nice offerings.
All of these kits build very much like a miniature version, stick for stick, fitting for fitting. Not for the inexperienced, moaner, complainer, crybaby, timid soul or weakling. There you have it!
Ditto.........these kits take you into a time warp as well, especially if you build from and early WW1 model to a later dater WW1 model as it is easy to see why things were done and how to speed up production along with strength.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91216.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1534214   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41848.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	1534215   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92714.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	1534216  
Old 12-14-2010, 04:36 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

ARUP
Proctor Enterprises and Glenn Torrance Models are the best, highest quality kits made in these United States bar none! Anyone can argue the point but you will be wasting your time with me! Period!
That is a pretty arrogant and blanket statement. While I agree they make some of the best scale WWI kits available, WWI kits are not my interest. Best and highest quality is subjective. I've seen several people mention Carl Goldberg kits. The ones I've built have some bad fitting parts and heavy balsa. The same can be said of Sig and Great Planes. They are good kits but not superlative. BTE Flying King and the Venture 60 use machine sanded select balsa, everything fits. I also liked NE Aero products but they are no longer in business.
Just my two cents,
John

PS If you haven't figured it out all the above was said with a big smile on my face. It is great to have conversations with fellow kit builders.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:52 PM
summerwind

John,
you know i didn't mention it, but the Balsa USA kits are a great bargain too.
they offer a variety and are readily available plus the wood selection is great.

it should be mentioned though that most ww1 kits we spoke of here are not sitting on the shelf either.........it's about the only thing that is a pain as most times you order and then wait til the kit is produced.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:03 PM
JNorton

ORIGINAL: summerwind

John,
they offer a variety and are readily available plus the wood selection is great.

it should be mentioned though that most ww1 kits we spoke of here are not sitting on the shelf either.........it's about the only thing that is a pain as most times you order and then wait til the kit is produced.
I just have not built any Balsa USA kits yet to have an opinion. I believe Bluejay Bridi kits are one heck of a bargain too. http://www.bridiairplanes.com/hangar/index.htm

I totally agree about waiting. I think we are all like little kids in a candy store wanting everything we see. The WWI bug hasn't bit me yet but it probably well.
John
Old 12-14-2010, 06:53 PM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: JNorton

ORIGINAL: summerwind

John,

I just have not built any Balsa USA kits yet to have an opinion. I believe Bluejay Bridi kits are one heck of a bargain too. http://www.bridiairplanes.com/hangar/index.htm

I totally agree about waiting. I think we are all like little kids in a candy store wanting everything we see. The WWI bug hasn't bit me yet but it probably well.
John
it's like eating a vegetable you didn't like as a kid.......you have to acquire a taste

i haven't built any Bluejay Bridi kits, but if they are anything like the Bridi kits of years ago, they must be good.......thanks for reminding me that they are out there too.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:32 PM
nachman4859
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[:@] Guess What,... You are all Right!! ... Picking the best Kitbuilder Is like Asking? Who makes the best Car ? Mercedes,Lexus,ferrari,Cadillac,Porche ... They are all Awesome... My Favorite Kits.. are Great Planes (My Aeromaster) Sig (My King Kobra) , Bridi (Kaos) , ARF's Quique Somenzini 102in YAK54 , Top Fight (Giant 50cc P51) , Hanger 9 - Beast Biplane Its just Like Baskin Robins 31 flavors Most are great... Sorry We are Not More Help... BUT, [X(] really You have a lot of good Choices ... Best Bet ..Go to your field and See What Pilots having the most Fun with their plane .... Buy that one... Thats your ... Best Bet!!
Old 12-14-2010, 09:35 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Wow thank you for the pictures! The finished plane is very nice and beautiful, but the detail in the framed up model is amazing!
Old 12-15-2010, 03:25 AM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemID=702106

Old habits die hard. Something is different and more enjoyable for me to build an old discontinued kit, than buy a new one. I don't mind tracing parts with an xacto blade, I rather do that, than have laser cut parts that just Lego together. It beats cutting templates and making a second kit from the plans. I like kits that cost under $100.
Check out RCU's marketplace (it's working now) for all kinds of winter projects.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:01 AM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

ARUP
That is a pretty arrogant and blanket statement. While I agree they make some of the best scale WWI kits available, WWI kits are not my interest. Best and highest quality is subjective. I've seen several people mention Carl Goldberg kits. The ones I've built have some bad fitting parts and heavy balsa. The same can be said of Sig and Great Planes. They are good kits but not superlative. BTE Flying King and the Venture 60 use machine sanded select balsa, everything fits. I also liked NE Aero products but they are no longer in business.
Just my two cents,
John

PS If you haven't figured it out all the above was said with a big smile on my face. It is great to have conversations with fellow kit builders.
I have had some Goldberg kits that have had parts that have needed attention. But that's kinda a "goes without saying" part of the kit building world. What was important was the plans, instructions and pics. I've never had a problem with Goldberg's balsa.

BTE models I can count on one hand! At least Goldberg had one hell of a line up.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:44 AM
JNorton

True too. Had is correct. I sure would like to go back a few years to get some of their discontinued kits. Have you ever built one of Bruces kits? Superb and I'm not the only one saying so.
John
Old 12-15-2010, 09:44 AM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ARUP
Just my two cents,
John

I didn't call you names (arrogant) so please don't call me names. Mine was a 'personal opinion' with a disclaimer (tongue in cheek) that it was not subject to debate. I love ALL of the kits I have meticulously researched before making the purchase. I have all the WWI birds except the Fokker Triplane by BUSA, Combat Models Pfalz DIII (defunct company) and many, many others. Quality means many things to many people and I have expressed implicity what it means to me. I own and have built kits from many makers and feel qualified to make an 'opinion'. I in no way have slammed any others. Thank you! (with a sincere smile on my face)
Old 12-15-2010, 09:51 AM
JNorton

ORIGINAL: ARUP

ARUP
Just my two cents,
John

I didn't call you names (arrogant) so please don't call me names. Mine was a 'personal opinion' with a disclaimer (tongue in cheek) that it was not subject to debate. I love ALL of the kits I have meticulously researched before making the purchase. I have all the WWI birds except the Fokker Triplane by BUSA, Combat Models Pfalz DIII (defunct company) and many, many others. Quality means many things to many people and I have expressed implicity what it means to me. I own and have built kits from many makers and feel qualified to make an 'opinion'. I in no way have slammed any others. Thank you! (with a sincere smile on my face)
It was said with humor not meant as an attack or name calling. I wasn't slamming anyone. I was pulling your leg.
John
Old 12-15-2010, 12:59 PM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

True too. Had is correct. I sure would like to go back a few years to get some of their discontinued kits. Have you ever built one of Bruces kits? Superb and I'm not the only one saying so.
John
I believe it. I've never built one, but the Delta looks to be up my alley. BTE kinda reminds me of Brodak, which made some really nice control line kits. Brodak was really the only "botique" kitmaker I've bought from before. All the rest have been from the "majors," which unfortuantely are the last of their kind