Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Pete 'N' Poke kit

I am about to start building the Pete 'N' Poke and was wondering if anyone had any "watch out for....."
    If you have built this kit before and have some advise I would appreciate it.
    Oh Crap! That can\'t be right.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Pete 'N' Poke kit

Kota,
    The Pete 'n' Poke is a fun kit and produces a really fun-to-fly airplane. It's one of those that everybody wants to try after they've seen it fly.
    The only real "watch out for" in the kit is in the cabane struts. GP has you building in the 1-degree incidence. To do this right, you have to follow the instructions VERY CAREFULLY and double/triple check all your cutting. If I were to build the kit over again, I'd build the cabanes flat (zero incidence) and acheive the proper incidence by shimming under the forward strut. Either way, invest in an incidence meter. You'll need it.
    One more thing I'd do different is to make the landing gear fairings out of something stiffer than balsa. The balsa ones are a bit flimsy.
    Have fun and post a picture when you're finished.

papermache
    Slope Gliding - A Northwest Indiana tradition since 1896

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Pete 'N' Poke kit

Mine is still in the box under my bench.
    Will watch this thread closely....!
    Regards
    H
    Scratch building is my Way of life.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Pete 'N' Poke kit

As hisham I have one under my bench and I am to will watch this thread

Regards from Venezuela

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Pete 'N' Poke kit

Here is my Pete 'N Poke
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	99140_7703.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	56341  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Pete n Poke

That's a nice looking plane but mine is still in the rafters and maybe I might build it this winter ------maybe.
    Ed
    AMA17555

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We have one!

My dad built this kit last winter and I have flown it about a dozen times. It is typical of parasol planes and tends to try to roll out in turns, a lot of differential fixes this pretty good.

Ours is underpowered with a .46LA and it feels like it's going to stall while in an upwind turn, downwind and picking up speed it seems much better and more controllable though. I would recommend a .46FX or possibly a .50 in the 2 stroke department, abetter choice would be a Saito .72 or O.S. .70 Surpass.
    Scott

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice Pete "N" Poke

Nice job on the kit. I am going to use the suggested color scheme also. The guy at the hobby shop said he saw one done in Cream and neon lime green. Not sure how that would look.
    I haven't built a kit in about 15 years and this is my first kit in this scale. I think I will spend the money on an incidence meter. Once you buy it you will always have and not have to guess at things.
    Oh Crap! That can\'t be right.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Pete 'N' Poke kit

I am building this kit now. I can tell you this, alot of the die cutting really sucks, make sure u have quite a few sharp #11s around. Also visit the GP website; http://www.greatplanes.com/reviews/gpma0493-rcm.html There is an excellent review by RCM. I have'nt ran into any major problems yet, but I will keep posting my progress. GP does usually have much better D/C than I have found in this kit, so don't let this keep you from investing in any of their other kits. I like their kits and so far this is the only one w/ poor D/C.
    Conform and be dull...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

building the center section of the wing is an all day job, dont make any plans!!!!!lots of parts, and you'll sand your life away on the t.e.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I haven't built the kit, but I bought one for our club raffle.

Is it just me, or did that box feel like it weighed about 15 lbs. It seemed far to heavy for a model of this size.

They sure look nice though.
    Dave Norman
    29w

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

im still building, built the wing panels today, i cant believe the wing tips are made of cheesy balsa that you have to glue the two pieces together to make one, mine have broken about three times across the grain , the wood is just too weak to be used for that purpose. my astro hog has rounded wing tips too, but its made by sig ( a company who apparently knows what they are doing) and they are made of a thin lite ply. I hope the rest of the kit builds easier, or i will have to use it to start the wood burner!!!!!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a Pete n' Poke with a Saito 56 and an 11/7 prop. It is a very enjoyable plane to fly. Initially it flew as you described, always feeling like it was going to stall.When I put the right prop on it, the difference was night and day. It flys a little different due to the high wing but is never-the-less a fine plane and always garners attention at the field.
    Sunny

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here are a few pic's of my Pete-n-Poke. The plane kind of looks like a 1930's era trainer so I decided to go with the USA Army color's of the time. I have a Mecoa 46 with an 11x6 prop and she flies real well. Even inverted she has good response. Make sure your top wing has the correct wing incidence according to the plans. Also make sure your ailerons,elevator and rudder controls do not have to much travel. I did not check this and on my first flight I almost lost it. I landed and adjusted my controls per the plans and have never had any trouble since. Have a great time flying this plan. I Love mine

Name:	Fd93419.jpg 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	99083   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bw70897.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	99084  
    Jim Stanton
    Millington, TN 38053

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

still building mine, why do all the large parts have to be in 3 or 4 pieces? and one side is made of good balsa, and the opposite is really crappy spongy stuff, did i just get a dud kit or has anyone else had this??????

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think that is the nature of this kit. Great Planes seem to have cut a few corners is this area. Make sure you reinforce the wing tips. They are made to week from what comes in the kit. If you do not reinforce the wing tips they will buckle when you cover them especially it you are going to use MonoKote.

Good Luck

Jim
    Jim Stanton
    Millington, TN 38053

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I noticed the wingtips were kinda shoddy when i punched them out of the die cuts, almost had to be a sergeon to keep from breaking them. I laminated balsa sheeting onto them after i had assembled the wing, it looks good and seems to provide good strength. i thought it was a bit strange how the fuse sides were built too, but it looks good framed up so far, havent put the turtle deck stringers or the tail feathers on yet, should be a really neat flying bird when it is done, om going to put a remote video cam in the belly somewhere, so slow is good. just alot of building to go through for such a small plane. anything else need beefing up that i might overlook?

p.s. LOVE THE 30'S TRAINER COVER JOB!!!!!!!!! i THOUGHT ABOUT DOING MINE LIKE A 38 CESSNA SKYMASTER lime green with yellow stripes and scallops on top of the wing.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I ended up laminating 1/32 ply to the gear covers for stability. A word of caution if you use GOOP to connect the wheel sleeves, do it outside. The smell stayed for a few days []

I installed a Saito .56 with a 12.5x6 Bolly prop; took off at less than half throttle. Lots of power. One upgrade I did was to epoxy an engine mount support (Sig sells these, same plastic U shaped piece that is on the side of a Fazer to screw the engine into.) under the wood engine mount that the kit comes with. I was worried that a 4-stroker would vibrate out the wood.

I also made holes so that I could unscrew out the lock nuts under the engine vs the blind nuts that they recommend.

The kit says minimal carving but WOW, I cut a lot of wood. Tried to get it as light as possible. Gotta admit, it does fly smooth and it looks great doing a low, slow pass across the field.

I bought this kit when some of my buddies saw a pic and called it ugly. That was enough to get me to buy it and fly it.

Bob

Name:	Ig13406.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	100294  
    Lighten up, Life is waaaay too short!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

have an old surpass 70 im going to put on mine, not that i need that much power, but it was just laying around, and its a shame to waste a good 4 stroker. shouldnt bother it , i dont think a 70 is any heavier than a 52 and you dont have to use all that power just because u have it..
    And if it does hover, what a show that would be!!!!!!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice airplane i have allways liked it . I think i am going to wait tell they come out with the ARF. It sounds like a lot of work.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

small note about engines i used the 46 as recomended on box however at the altitude
    that i am at 4600 ,the 46 was not enough so i used a 52 what a difference. mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

When building the landing gear mount, the instructions call to glue together the five die-cut 1/8" pieces L1 through L5. The problem I ran into is that the pieces were slightly less than 1/8", more like 3mm. When glued, the slot created to hold the landing gear is too narrow to hold the gear properly. The fix is to replace pieces L2, L3 and L4 with ply that is indeed 1/8". This way the gear will fit nicely.

Also drill the 3/16" holes for the gear after gluing the landing gear mount and the landing gear reinforcements to the fuse sides (Page 22, Step 14). This will allow easy drilling (with the fuse upside down) using a drill press to insure absolutely true holes in the landing gear mount. If you wait until the drilling is called for (Page 29, Step 1), it will much more difficult to drill straight holes because the fuse is built up at that point.

DaveB

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's been a couple of years since I built mine, but only I year since I rebuilt it

I concur with most of what's been said, but mine flies well (very scale-like) with the LA 46. I did need to add quite a bit of nose weight (moving the CG further forward than what the plans call for) to eliminate that "It's gonna stall" feeling.

One of the best flying days I had last year was breezy, and I would bring the Pete across the field and just slow it down until I found a little updraft from the ridge at the edge of our field, and it would just hang there stopped for several minutes at a time.

BTW, the rebuild was because of a stupid mistake--turning the wrong way, too low, on a botched landing attempt, and it cartwheeled onto the field. You wouldn't know it to look at the plane now, though. Mine is covered with Sig Coverall and doped. Cream and maroon, like a Pietenpol Air Camper.

Phil
    Phil, Waco brother #144
    If the truth were self-evident, eloquence would be unnecessary-Cicero

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Phlip, your cover job sounds really nice.....any pictures?

I have a pete n' poke too, but its not built yet and I'd also like to do it with coverall...any advice on that ie. how you did the two-tone or checkers?

I.F.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I. F.

You got me to realize that I hadn't taken any good photos of my Pete yet... only a couple of crappy-too-far-away in flight shots. Today was a nice warm winter day here in New England, so I got it outside and took a few.

Name:	Db85349.jpg 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	105963   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dy78448.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	105964   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fk17934.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	105965   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oh13717.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	105966  
    Phil, Waco brother #144
    If the truth were self-evident, eloquence would be unnecessary-Cicero

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast