Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

crazed canopy fix

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

crazed canopy fix

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 11:37 AM
crash bandicoute

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crazed canopy fix

so the canopy for my RV-4 is jacked up and i would rather tint it than paint it. here is a pic of it. i tried different soaps and car waxes and can't get it to look any better. does anyone know of something else to use getting it nice looking again beforeI go painting it? i'm sure in it's current condition that if i try tinting it, it's going to look the same, only tinted. i'm about to switch over to ********* if they don't fix this stupid server issue with uploading pics. this is the 4th time i've tried to do a post and it won't work. well, i guess no pics of it. it's all crappy looking like someone took steel whool to it. but no scratching. i wish i could show a picture of it. THANK RCUNIVERSE!!!
Old 12-29-2010, 02:18 PM
WestCoastFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: crazed canopy fix

Is it hazy or scratched? I spilled Acetone inside a canopy causing a nasty section of haze. I polished it back to clear again with a 3M Headlight Restoration Kit.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:57 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The 3M even removes scratches.
Last night I posted two photos and they both came out normal like they used to?? This server change may npot have been the best idea RCU ever had but there were problems before too, just not often with photos!!
Old 12-29-2010, 03:24 PM
crash bandicoute

i guess it's more like a haze. i'll try another picture of it. i didn't spill anything on it. it's been sitting in a drawer away from everything. what's this 3M polishing kit you are talking about? is it the one you use to get the milky look off head lights? one of my buddies told me about something like that a couple of years ago to use on my truck for that reason. i couldn't remember what it was called. i'll see if i can find one and give that a shot, cuz i really don't like painting them. i painted the canopy on my Messerschmitt solid cuz i jacked it up painting the framing. NEVER AGAIN. though it doesn't have a pilot, i still don't like it. thanks for the 3M idea. holy crap, i thinkthe picsworked.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52961.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1539468   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23704.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1539469  
Old 12-29-2010, 05:34 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like hanger rash from getting moved around in drawers too much. Yes the stuff is found in the auto parts store. Works good for a number of things so it's nice to have on hand. Even works on head lights!!
Old 12-29-2010, 09:18 PM
rcphotog

I have been using Permatex 403D for twenty five years on both full-size and model planes. It's used largely by the aviation industry to clean/polish windscreens and canopies.

It has a consistancy of skin lotion and won't scratch a dirty windshield (if done properly). So no need to clean with anything first, just use a liberal amount on a dirty canopy and it will lift dirt away and polish at the same time.

To polish your canopy, use an old (soft) clean cotton sock (use wet to clean and dry to polish) and polish in one direction (same as airflow - front to back,etc) not in circles.
Never use windex or anything with amonia on clear plastic or plexi-glass. It will scratch.
Another property of 403D is it will rejuvenate old dry plastic and plexi if used often.

Yes it works on your car's Lexan / plexi headlamps. It takes only ten minutes each light and twice a year to keep my '97 looking like new and what a difference driving at night.

You can buy it at any pilot supply and I think Aircraft Spruce even sells it. Of course it's available at most auto parts stores as well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz80001.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	1539652  
Old 12-30-2010, 08:30 AM
crash bandicoute

awesome. going out today to buy a new sealing iron and will look for it. the sealing iron decided to stop working yesterday while finishing up covering my rudder. what a bummer.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:00 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

You may want to try Rit dye if you are going to tint. Can't say for sure if won't ruin the canopy but I have tinted my plastic safety glasses in the past and that worked. Neede to heat the dye mixed in water and let the part soak for awhile. Don't make it so hot you melt the plastic.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:44 PM
sticktickler

Rit dye works great use the black and tint it don't get it to hot as you can melt the canopy plastic. 3M also make great clear coat polish for cars which I have used on canopies with good results. Keep in mind however real aircraft canopies and windows are not perfect they also show age with yellowing, scratches from cleaning, bugs and dust.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:25 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And not all plastics take rit dye. They will not change color at all.

Les
Old 01-06-2011, 06:12 PM
crash bandicoute

so i found one of the head light refinishing kit deals at walmart, but it looks to have a lot of sanding disk type things in it. is that the correct one to use?
Old 01-07-2011, 08:47 AM
vicarh
My Feedback: (1)

Be careful with RitDye... Some plastics shrink in hot water. Ask me how I know. Had to fill large gaps on a fuselage in order to make it fit after the dye bath... It may have been my fault but just a warning...