Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Canopy Glue

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Canopy Glue

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 11:54 AM
Steve Campbell2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canopy Glue

Well, my bottle of RC-56 finally ran out. I remember hearing somewhere that this stuff is no longer produced.

So what is a good substitute? Got to dry clear, ya know...

Steve
Old 08-05-2003, 12:56 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Canopy Glue

Screws. And trim the edge of the canopy with electrical tape. Holds up well and it's easy to replace if necessary.
Dennis-
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	99316_2863.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	56585  
Old 08-05-2003, 03:13 PM
barto

Default Canopy Glue

formula 560 canopy glue. It's from the zap company i believe, great stuff, it doesn't dry very fast but is very strong.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:16 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Canopy Glue

Steve:

Yes, RC-56 is no more. But. Pacer has their "Formula 560" which, as near as I can tell, is the same stuff with a slightly different name.

Dennis:

Screws? No, thank you. The canopy tends to crack around them, at least for me. Exception is a Lexan canopy, they hold up very well. But how do you know it's Lexan?

And a big definite NO! on electrical tape. Get fuel anywhere near it and it's an immediate mess.

Just my experiences.

Bill.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:07 PM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Default Canopy Glue

I have had problems with cracking around canopy screws as well. Any of the canopy glues with "56" or "560" in them seem to be the same formula. Last time I checked there was about three brands out there. Check Tower Hobbies. If you can cut away a small stripe of covering, the glue adheres to the wood better than the covering. I just finished a Decathlon and used RC 56 to glue the windows against the covering after punching a bunch of pin holes where it attaches.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:21 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Canopy Glue

Stay away from the versions that are a thicker paste. They were a pain. I really liked the RC 56. Don't know why they felt the need to change it and screw it up.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:27 PM
Runway

Default Canopy Glue

I've had trouble with cracking around canopy screws, as well. The fix is to cut small rounds of fuel tubing and fit them over the screws - just like washers. Works well and they don't vibrate loose either.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:31 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Default Canopy Glue

Thanks, guys. I found the Pacer product on The Empire's site. One can only hope the LHS has it...

Steve
Old 08-05-2003, 10:23 PM
Build-n-flyer-RCU

Default Canopy Glue

I've used Formula 560 and agree it works well. But I find using it a nerve-wracking process because the stuff is thin and wants to run everywhere (at least it dries clear!) Does anyone have any tips on how to get good coverage without making a mess?
Old 08-05-2003, 10:37 PM
Azcat59

Default Canopy Glue

I use the 560 but I put it in a small glue gun syringe which will let me apply a very small bead. I agree, it is thin, and wants to run all over, and the water clean-up isn't as easy as they make it out to be. I have a squirt bottle and paper towels handy every time I do one.

I also agree with cutting a small strip of film away (if the plane is covered with film) so you can glue to the bare wood. And I don't like screws.....never have seen a full scale plane with the canopy screwed on (grin).....

A good tip: once in place, use Ace bandage....the type that stretches and sticks to itself, to wrap around the canopy and fuselage to hold the canopy down tight while the glue dries. I don't like to use tape, it can pull the covering loose.

Clair Sieverling
Old 08-06-2003, 12:15 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Default Canopy Glue

Excellent idea re. the Ace bandage, Clair.

I'll be paying the pharmacy at Wally World a visit tomorrow...<G>

Steve
Old 08-06-2003, 01:32 AM
DBCherry

Default Canopy Glue

I've had trouble with cracking around canopy screws, as well. The fix is to cut small rounds of fuel tubing and fit them over the screws - just like washers
Hence, my using electrical tape under the screws. Never had a canopy crack.

I also direct my exhaust down and don't have trouble with the tape. One plane has thirty or so flights on it and the tape still seems fine.
Dennis-
Old 08-06-2003, 10:20 AM
RCFlyerNYC

Default Attaching canopy

After I apply the glue to the canopy, I use lengths of fuel tubing to hold it down to the fuse while drying. The tubing doesn't loosen up.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:04 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Default Canopy Glue

Has anybody tried clear silicone adhesive (the Home Depot bathroom caulk kind) as canopy glue? It works great for sealing fuel tanks and/or fuel tubing on firewalls, but I wonder if the acetic acid in it will eat or fog canopies.
Old 08-06-2003, 03:18 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Canopy Glue

Volfy:

It's hard to apply a small bead using RTV, other than that I see no reason it wouldn't work fine so long as there is a vent for the fumes to exit.

Bill.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:04 PM
Steve Campbell2

Default Canopy Glue

Volfy, that stuff is pretty obnoxious and agressive; as in hard to remove once applied. You'd have to use acetone or MEK, which dulls plastic film big-time; not to mention eating butyrate plastic, which most canopies are drawn from, most paints, etc.

I would say it is a disaster waiting to occur...

Steve