Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Four Star 60 rounded wing tips

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Four Star 60 rounded wing tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 10:16 AM
lamarkeiko
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Four Star 60 rounded wing tips

I am just starting the build on my Sig Four Star 60, and I would like to change the last wing bay from square to rounded. I am planning on using the full length of the bay, but rounding it. My concern is,will I affect the flight charastics by doing this, and if so, how do I properly do the rounded tip to not adversly affect the planes flight? I also intend to round the stab, elevator and rudder. Are there things to be concerned about here?
Thanks
Lamar
Old 01-14-2011, 10:30 AM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Sig Four Star 60 rounded wing tips

There have been a number of 4*60 bashes and those that you want to do have been done successfully. There were a couple threads a while back on just bashing the 4*. There were some reallynice mods done.

On change I did on both of mine was to use tapered aileron stock vs the stock ailerons. I don't know ifitimproved the flying or not as I never flewwith the stock ailerons. I know that they worked well though. Tapered ailerons with the rounded tip going all the way to the TE would look nice.

Don

Old 01-14-2011, 11:05 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have never noticed any flight changes from rounding the wing tips but I have only done it on clipped wings. All the clipping does is give the plane a better roll rate. The 4*s are an easy kit to do some bashing on. I have done a lot of different things to them and never noticed any bad changes. Last year I finally built one completely stock. It's just a very good design and nothing seems to bother it.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:37 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

I have a .40 size four star and I rounded the tips of the wing as well as tail feathers among other mods. It was absolutely the most hands off plane on its maider flight that I have ever seen. It needed no trimming whatsoever except for one click down on the elevator. It has an old HP .40 in it and is a little rocket. A positive delight to fly. The rounded tips of this one didn't adversely affect it.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:32 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would clip a wing bay on each side and then round the tips. Stock 4 * really like to float. Clipped one bay they still do!
John
Old 01-14-2011, 07:03 PM
lamarkeiko
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks everyone for your replies back. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I continue my build.

Lamar
Old 01-14-2011, 07:10 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Most the time I clip 2 bays and it's still a floater. I have never removed more then that but I'm sure you could keep cutting quite a bit before you have any problems.