Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

182 Cessna Skylane 83" wing problem?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

182 Cessna Skylane 83" wing problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 10:27 AM
bcatone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 182 Cessna Skylane 83" wing problem?

OOPS! I made a big mistake...Maybe someone can tell me how big it is..The wing is 83". I got the dihedral off by an inch and a quarter from one wing tip to the other..In other words the wingtip on one side is 2 3/4" from flat while the other wing tip is 1 1/2" from flat for a difference of 1 1/4" . Ripping the wing apart would cause a great deal of effort and could make things even worse. The wing in the top flight kit is a polydihedral. I would have never guessed that until I looked at the plans..This plane is meant to be flown scale and not intended to be areobatic..I only want it to fly scale..Would this difference affect scale flying that much..I have been flying many years so I am not worried about self recovery aspects. I know how taking out dihedral affects a plane but am not sure how a difference from one side of the wing to the other would...Any thoughts. Yea, I know check and double check before reaching for the epoxy. But what now. Thanks
Old 01-16-2011, 12:40 PM
huck1199

Default RE: 182 Cessna Skylane 83

Never seen a polyhedral 182. You could make some adjustment in the wing saddle with hard foam and see how works out.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:03 PM
outdoorhunting

Double check & make sure the wing is not "twisted" If not, I seriously believe I would bite the bullet & fix it right !!! If you try to "jack up" one side of the wing, it's gonna make the wing hang crooked on the fus. To my way of thinking it would look like "Fido's butt". Nobody knows for sure if it will affect the flying or not till you try it. If you don't fix it right, it will always bug you as long as you have the plane !! Don't feel like it's a mistake, it's just another learning step !!! Believe me, we ALL have made some MAJOR goof ups, that's just part of the hobby. My first build had 2 right side wings. ( Good Luck ! PS, I just reread your post. ALWAYS, ALWAYS read your instructions & plans 4 or 5 times BEFORE you start building !!
Old 01-16-2011, 02:23 PM
bcatone

Top Flight is a polydihedral wing..It has a total of 4 wing braces that give slight angle..The first is where the wing starts at the fusalage and the second is halfway to the end of the wing..The wing is built upside down and in the directions they refer to "up" without explaning whether they mean "up" as the wing lies or "up" as if the wing were in its normal
.position..Several items were not explained properly and only looking at the picture could one determine whether it is an "up" item or a "down" item, and the pictures , at least some, were taken from across the room..But this is my mistake, and I am only blaming myself. I agree with "outdoorhunting" but at least I can hope hundreds of people tell me it will be just fine like it is, ha...I will problable fix it, but it requires cutting out about 3 inches of wing front to back, recutting pieces, and ending up with two high stress areas instead of one...I would rather built another wing then fix this problem but there is no wing kit for this plane.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:49 PM
bgfireman
My Feedback: (13)

BCATONE,
I built the same plane and had a simular problem. Mine was not off that much and I flew it like it was. I had no problems. I built a corsair and had the same problem with it. I cut the wing right in the joint and remade the wing joiner. It was really not that big of a deal. Just bite the bullet and do it.
Alan
Old 01-16-2011, 07:06 PM
outdoorhunting

You can always reinforce the stress area with a narrow sheet of fiberglass & resin. It really isn't that big of a deal ! A couple of hours work will pay you back in the long run.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:28 AM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If this is the TF Cessna, and your wing is 83"...you have bigger issues, as the wing is only supposed to be 81".
Old 01-17-2011, 11:01 AM
bcatone

Thanks for all the responces...I think I will do as some suggest and fix the problem..It will just always be in the back of my mind if I don't..I hate to do something half way...I misspoke when I refered to the wing as an 83". I just finished a 83" AT-6 and had that on my mind...I think sometimes when you ask a question, that you already in the back of your mind know the correct answer, you are just hopeing others will agree with the easy way out...Thanks again