Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

My new shop

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

My new shop

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 04:30 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My new shop

Well guys I'm pretty much a happy camper. My workshop is finally finished after 2 ½ years. I moved from a house where I had half the basement, about 20' X 24' to a fully furnished basement with a family room an office, bathroom and a bedroom. Now I have a corner of the utility room, approximately 10' X 12'. There is an aisle formed by the hot water heater and furnace with 12' foot of shelving holding covering, kits, engines, scales etc. Finishing the workshop was delayed by family tragedies and an Achilles tendon that refused to heal for a year. It is amazing how little gets done if you cannot walk more than twelve feet without being in severe pain. :

My hobby shop consist of two six foot oak butcher block, inch and a half thick benches set into an L, with a Steelcase 6' X 3' building table set against the far wall. The Steelcase table is 30 years old and dead flat. The wall is covered in peg board. This has proven to be even handier than I thought it would be. Above the bench I put in two 15 amp circuits running six alternating duplex outlets. On the floating bench I used a five foot strip outlet set below the table top. Plywood shelves still need to be installed underneath the butcher block benches and perhaps a coat of Poly wood finish but essentially I'm done. BIG GRIN.

I've attached pictures so I can brag a little. Not everyone understands why a grown man would get so excited over a work shop, but I'm sure you guys do. Even though this workshop is half the size of my old one I'm really excited as I finally have a place to work. I store my planes on PVC racking in the garage built above the garage door. This helps as I do not need as much room since I'm not storing everything in the same room.

I'm, really looking forward to building again. During my year of enforced laziness I bought some kits. I'm undecided what to build right now so I thought it might be fun to throw it out to you guys to help me figure it out. I've flown very little in the last three years so I've somewhat narrowed the field down.
1. BTE Venture 60.
2. Sig Astrohog.
3. Bridi Vagabond 40.
4. GP Ultra Sport 60.
Not shown but I also have a Sig King Kobra kit. The reason I did not include it originally is that it has foam core wings and I've never sheeted foam wings before. So help me out guys and tell me which you'd build first.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43123.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	1552451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr52934.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	1552452   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yo91777.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	1552453   Click image for larger version

Name:	Np18486.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	1552454   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rx95314.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	1552455   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bl53990.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	1552456  
Old 01-24-2011, 04:34 PM
outdoorhunting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My new shop

Congrats !! That's one fine shop area. Enjoy!!
Old 01-24-2011, 04:35 PM
Redback

Why do you need to ask?

Ultra Sport

Time to get that nice tidy work area messed up!

Terry
Old 01-24-2011, 04:52 PM
JNorton

Thank you. I really like my little shop. I thought it might be fun to hear others opinions on what kit to build. Especially since they are all classics.
John
Old 01-24-2011, 05:03 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice shop!!! I'm jealous!!!

Here's a hint on your build order. Build the Venture last!!! Why?? Because after you build it  you will be spoiled on building anything else. I'm building one right now to do a build thread for Bruce and I can honestly say it's one of the nicest kits I've ever seen. Bruce Tharpe hand cuts all the wood and the fit and finish is better than most laser cut kits. It's a true joy to build it!!!

Ken
Old 01-24-2011, 05:25 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Ken, Bruce's kits are one of a kind. I have of the old Venturekits and I swear you could just throw a bottle glue in the box , give it a good shake and you have a nice lowwing sport plane.
Now if it's been 2 1/2 yearssince you been on the sticks, then the Venture is probably the plane, out of your list of kits to start with and well be the fastest from board to air. All the kits you have list are good kits, but theVenture would be the oneI used for my go to plane. Would have mine builtbynow, but have a nice moded 4 Star .40, which isanother of Bruce's baby's.
Your shop looks very nice. Enjoy and good luck on your recovery
Old 01-24-2011, 06:17 PM
JNorton

I'm really having fun reading your comments. I flew the wings off my Four Star 40. Seriously I had creases in the sheeting where the wing met the fuselage. Then I came in too hot and cracked the fuse behind the wing trying to do a loop and land for the quickest time.
John
Old 01-24-2011, 06:18 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sweet man cave!
Ultra Sport!
Old 01-24-2011, 06:31 PM
JNorton

I guess I really need to read the Ultra Sport thread. I've scanned it superfically. I was downstairs looking at the prints - the first item I would change is to ditch the strip ailerons and use two wing servos. Time to start some serious reading. Good thing I like to read.
John
Old 01-24-2011, 06:51 PM
summerwind

congrats John......envy isn't even the word for what i'm feeling...........stunning to say the least, and glad to see another dedicated builder with his own domain[8D]
Old 01-25-2011, 08:39 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Any workshop that has an Ultra Sport kit in it is a great one!

Ken recommends building the Venture last because it will spoil you on building - I would be tempted to say, "Build the Ultra Sport last" becuse once you fly it, you'll forget about your other planes!
Old 01-25-2011, 09:14 AM
JNorton

Thanks for all the great comments. I sure have seen a lot of shops posted online that make my little abode seem very spartan. Hey it'll do me and it's warm in the winter, always a consideration in Michigan.

My garage is above the concrete wall adjoining the shelving units. I want to see if I can snake a 3/8" to 1/2" copper pipe under the sill and into the garage. I'll plumb my small aircompressor to it. Any of you guys have experience with framing? Is this possible? I can take some pictures if it will help. It would be nice to have a quiet source of air.

Thanks,
John
Old 01-25-2011, 09:48 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I would be tempted to say, "Build the Ultra Sport last" becuse once you fly it, you'll forget about your other planes!
Ican't argue with that either!!!!!!!!!

Ken

Old 01-25-2011, 11:25 AM
crash bandicoute

it may take some creativity drilling down into the basement, but if you have your garage above the plastic shelving with all the kits on it, take a spade 3/4 inch spade bit, drill holes through the floor joists and up into the wall until you can snake a line down through, then spray foam around the line to re-insulate it. other than knowing where the wall is above your basementand it's relationship with the concrete of the garage floor, i can't really tell you how to do it other than that. anything is possible if you want it done. it's just a matter of how and where you want it done. compressor lines that are coiled are easy to snake around with some string and a wire coat hanger. i had to do this running cable and phone line across the attic and down into a wall without cutting holes all through the ceiling. (notthe compressor hose part,of course).not very hard at all if you understand the framing of your house. the concrete just adds obstacles you have to work around. but it could be as simple as drilling a hole through a wall and passing the line through, as well. hope that helps... it's more of a trial and error.

**by the way, nice shop and collection. mine's still in progress.

10X12 barn-style shed.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:41 AM
frenchie79

If you have been off for awhile, go with the easiest Kit first. Then the Hog Bipe (just cause I finished one). Nice shop, be sure to add plenty of lighting. Glad to see another fellow dedicate a shop just for RC-Congrats
Old 01-25-2011, 02:10 PM
JNorton

I figured Ken and Minn would be pro Ultra Sport since they're #1 and #2 in the Ultra Sport club. I'm going to spend tonight reading the Ultr Sport thread for construction ideas.

Crash banicoute - it is on the opposite wall. I just ran some cable for my youngest daughter's TV up inside her wall. I was thinking about drilling parallel through the sill plate - you are right it would be just as easy to drill at an angle through the wall. Sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees. Good luck on your 10 X 12 hobby barn. It would be nice to have mine separate - my pegboard wall is the same as my oldest daughter's bedroom wall. She sleeps till noon on the weekends, somewhat limits my building time.

Frenchie79 - By my count three votes for the Venture 60 and three for the Ultra Sport!
John
Old 01-25-2011, 03:17 PM
oldtyme

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Nice shop!!! I'm jealous!!!

Here's a hint on your build order. Build the Venture last!!! Why?? Because after you build it you will be spoiled on building anything else. I'm building one right now to do a build thread for Bruce and I can honestly say it's one of the nicest kits I've ever seen. Bruce Tharpe hand cuts all the wood and the fit and finish is better than most laser cut kits. It's a true joy to build it!!!

Ken
Ken............I really am anxious to see your BTE build thread!! I bought one last Sept and it is on my to do shelf and just found out a couple of weeks ago that they are again not available. I talked to Bruce about a week ago and he said maybe they would be available in mid 2011 but would not make that a for sure. Fortunately he lives here in Oregon so if he does I could just make the two hour drive and buy him out!!!!!!
Old 01-25-2011, 03:20 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Yeah, he contacted me and let me know that he was sold out of the kits and that I may want to put a hold on my build thread until he has more available. But if I get enough interest here I may go ahead and publish sooner.

Ken
Old 01-25-2011, 03:48 PM
JNorton

Ken,
I would be very interested in reading your Venture 60 review.

I have decided to build the Ultra Sport 60. I would not have built this aircraft if I had decided on my own as I am not particularly fond of its looks. Everyones enthusiasm for the Ultra Sport is so contageous that I want to see how it flys for myself. I have flown it on Real Flight and it's neutral flight charateristics were almost boring. As I said I would not have bought it except for the glowing reports everyone gives it. Now I'm going to be building it for the same reason. Hopefully I'll have it done by spring and be able to join in celebrating the aircraft. I have to say that the blueprints are among the most detailed I have ever seen, and the instruction book is typical Great Planes.

John
Old 01-25-2011, 04:48 PM
crash bandicoute

ORIGINAL: JNorton

Crash banicoute - it is on the opposite wall. I just ran some cable for my youngest daughter's TV up inside her wall. I was thinking about drilling parallel through the sill plate - you are right it would be just as easy to drill at an angle through the wall. Sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees. Good luck on your 10 X 12 hobby barn. It would be nice to have mine separate - my pegboard wall is the same as my oldest daughter's bedroom wall. She sleeps till noon on the weekends, somewhat limits my building time.

it is kind of nice having it seperated from the rest of the house, other than having to walk through the muddy, wetwashington winter swamp of a yard to get out there. then i have no insulation for keeping it warmer than a space heater, and the doors open with a small window to air it out in the summer months. humidity is kind of a bear up here year round, too,so i end up bringing the work inside after building just to keep the humidity from affecting anything. other than that, i do have a good getaway. now all i need out there is a coffee pot and some cabinets on the wall for storing stuff. i'm getting ready to run power out to it come spring time. i'm ghetto right now with the big outside orange extension cord running from the back of the house, running a power strip. can't have the lights on with the sander or scroll saw with out popping the breaker. can't WAIT to get that arranged. i'm getting ready this weekend to build new benches with hollow core interior doors instead of chincy plywood. so, i'm getting there. just slowly with all the winter building getting in the way??? is that even possible? i can't believe i said that.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:23 PM
oldtyme

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Yeah, he contacted me and let me know that he was sold out of the kits and that I may want to put a hold on my build thread until he has more available. But if I get enough interest here I may go ahead and publish sooner.

Ken
Well add me as a subscriber !!!!
Old 01-25-2011, 05:24 PM
JNorton

I can certainly believe you said that. It is really hard not having a place to build.

I can also empathize with you about lack of power and heat. My previous basement while big had only one heat register. The house was built during WWII. I heated it with a kerosene heater. I ran a 15 amp circuit for my bench and then found out I could not have lights and a covering iron and covering gun going all at the same time. It get s really dark when the lights go out in a Michigan basement in the winter! I added another 15 amp circuit pronto. My present shop has three 15 amp breakers. Two for the bench and one for lighting which is what I consider the bare minimum.
John
Old 01-25-2011, 05:49 PM
crash bandicoute

WOW!!! i'm not sure i was looking to run that many circuits. maybe i should look into it a little more. i would hate to run and bury everything and find out i needed more. i was just thinking a small size sub panel off the main. i have 3 4-foot flourescent lights, a radio, the sander, the scroll saw, and HOPEFULLY, a coffee maker someday. not all running at the same time, of course. i was thinking maybe 2 20-amp breakers would be good. maybe i'll run 3 for S's and G's.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:59 PM
JNorton

When I'm covering I sometimes have a trim iron going and two covering irons at different temperatures. That's guaranteed to blow a 15 amp breaker. Now add lights, a radio, plug in a soldering iron because you need to solder an extension and your close to another 15 amps. With 3 circuits you should be safe. Add in a couple horse power aircompressor - well you get the idea. I think I'll be fine with three 15 amp circuits. If I was running underground like you are I'd run two 20 amp 220 circuits. I only like to dig one ditch. That will give you four 20 amp 120 volt circuits or a combination of 220 / 120 if you desire an air compressor. Use ground fault breakers for safety.
John

EDIT-> Actually thinking it over its cheaper to run one 4 wire #8 cable at 40 amps and split it into 4 breakers in your shop. So you would have a single 40 amp 220 volt breaker in your house and 4 in the shop.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:11 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I miss my basement up in Atlanta   !  nice shop... I"m in the garage now in Tampa..  ! Hot in summer.. cold in the winter...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.