Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

New to building

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

New to building

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 10:17 AM
shinysideup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to building

Hey everyone, im new to building rc, however i have built a few rubber powered planes in the past. I am in the middle of building an old jetco rearwin speedster that my dad has had sitting in the garage for about the last 40 years. i have a spektrum DX5e radio and reciever and some micro servos. i have about 80% of the planE built and am starting with some of the covering. i just couldnt see it sitting in the garage any more. its fun but challenging. im going with monokote because i just cant master the other stuff. im running a .19 motor, 4oz fuel cell, and im building it with full rc function. steering tail wheel and working ailerons. im getting a little anxious to finish it, but its a lot of fun. i have never flown rc before, but i have the real flite g5.5 that i am getting real good at with flying planes. im sure ill be back on here soon with some questions about what to do, ive already hit a few walls but managed my way throught them. good flying, phil
Old 01-30-2011, 11:23 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: New to building

Welcome to the world of RC. You may want to hook up with a club or someone that has done RC and is willing to work with you for your flight training. This can be a frustrating hobby if you try to teach yourself. Good Luck, Dave
Old 01-30-2011, 02:27 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You sure can select an easier plane to build as the kit you are assembling is an 'old one' for sure - good luck with the project and keep us updated to your progress..

Jerry
Old 01-30-2011, 03:20 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey shiny ...

Find a local club and get hooked up with an instructor. The idea is to connect two radios with one as primary and one as secondary connected by a cable. The instructor controls all aspects of the plane with the primary. The student (you) use the secondary (buddy box). When ready the instructor will turn control over to you. You fly the plane as long as the instructor is comfortable with your flight. If you get in trouble, the instructor releases a button and has full control to save the plane and re-establishe a safe flight profile. Then it's yours again. Back-n-forth until he considers you to have "mastered" basic flying skills. Saves a bunch of broken parts.

Good luck,

Old 01-30-2011, 03:27 PM
Crash Campbell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

To augment the advice you will receive here on RCU you may find that the attached link to Paul's site of use.

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/

Cheers,

Colin
Old 01-30-2011, 03:33 PM
huck1199

For sure join a club and AMA, you will get great benefit from the help and advise of club members. If you try to teach yourself get a cheap foamy otherwise you will wreck your nice plane in a matter of seconds.  
Old 01-30-2011, 03:48 PM
shinysideup

thanks for the tips guys. i think the part im most worried about is if i have any control surfaces that arent perfect, or my CG is off a little. im confident otherwise. i think im going to do a few taxis and make sure shes all good before i even attempt to do some touch and goes. been practicing the landing some more and it is getting consistently better. im going to try and get some good pics of it when i get off work so i can share it. we always land. the only difference is if it is controlled, or an utter failure!!!