Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Avonds F-14 build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Avonds F-14 build

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 10:53 AM
dell7765
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Avonds F-14 build

Just started a build on a Avonds Tomcat and I'm trying to decide what engines to use. I was wondering if anyone has built the 80" wingspan Tomcat and used a set of EDFs. I'm thinking ofrunning 2Hoffman Storms, any body has any experience with these engines, likes dislikes? Anyone ever made a fiberglass mold of there Tomcat, how did it go? I was thinking of making a mold of my bird when I'm done so I can make fiberglass and carbon fiber copies to cut-down on the weight. Also wondering if anyone has builtthis model with the leading edge flaps?

Old 02-13-2011, 05:39 PM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

Default RE: Avonds F-14 build

Are you building one? I started building one but was then set back by a massive stroke. I too am making mine an EDF, I chose Schuebler DS-94 fans to power it but have not bought motors yet, at my speed of building, too much building left to do.

David
Old 02-14-2011, 05:46 PM
dell7765

David, I ended up going with Dynamax fans astheycan be found onebay for about $100and Scorpion motors, and if I can ever order them before they run out of stock the motors will be powered by XPS lipo. I'm still working on the fuselage, but I am hoping to have everything done and ready to mold by the end of the month or the middle of next month. Are you going the mold your cat when she's done? How farhave you gotten on her?If you have not found him on youtube B1 Bob has put a lot of great building and molding videos out.

Louis
Old 02-14-2011, 06:14 PM
Tomcat_104

Louis,
I thank you for the lead, I'll check it out. I had 2 Dynamax fans that I sold to a friend, I'm not sure why I went with Schuebler's. I bought them from Tam at Tamjets and they look good. I had a massive stroke in 2004 so my building is just getting started back up. I've spent the down time collecting the things I'll need. Are you getting a swing wing unit or are you planning on building your own? I've been working on my wings but I'm having a heck of a time making the flaps work, not enough room for my hands I guess. I was thinking about rebuilding the wings without the flaps, which way are you going?

David
Old 02-15-2011, 05:11 AM
dell7765

For the swing wing I am just going touse a servo, I'm thinking a JR DS8711. I looked at the screw drive unit on my set of plans and did a little looking around online at other setups and decided that I could shave several pounds off the plane by just using one central mounted servo. With 400oz of torque it should be more then strong enough to swing the wings at just about any speed.

I am able to get around the tight confines of the wings because when I make the final wings they will in two half's, top and bottom, then I can add my internal ribs and flap, slat, and spoiler controlsthen I can just epoxy the top and bottom of the wing together. I say that like its easy, in fact I have never done it before but so far everything has been working out.

Are you going to build and fly the wooden plane? If so you are far braver then me. I know at some point I am going to crash and given the amount of time I have spent working on her so far I just don't think I could do it again. Whence I have the mold done I will be able to make a new plane in about a week, and for a lot less then the original.

I looked at the DS-94 fans but the price drove me away, that and getting spare parts like fan blades is a lot cheaper with the Dynamax units. With the Dynamax units, Scorpion motors, Castle HV-180 ESC's (minus batteries) I only spent about $600 each. And at 15lbs of thrust each I should end up with about a 1/1 thrust ratio.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:24 AM
Tomcat_104

I thought about using a STRONG servo but I was afraid it would be "too fast". Have you thought about that or how you'd go about reducing it's speed?

Your idea of how to handle the swing sounds interesting to me but I'm already past that point so either way I'd have to start over.

I'm not going to mold mine. See I suffered a massive stroke in 2004 and left with a right side that doesn't work well at all. I'm still building it for my love of the F-14, the plan is I'll build it and then my son will fly it once for me. After that, who knows, it'll probably be a wall hanging & show piece after that. The doctor surprised me on my 46th birthday by telling me my damage was permanent and I would never fly again, *******!!! If it does crash then "what the he!!, I'll build another one. Have you ever thought about a larger one?

The price was a little high but remember I got to spend it over time, that just meant the hurt wasn't too bad, it just lasted a longer time! 15 lbs of thrust for each is what I was looking for, I don't have my motors yet so maybe I better look at Scorpions since Lehner is VERY proud of their's.

Do you have your retracts yet? I got a set from Matrix before the price went up real bad. There have been one or two sets here on RCU but I don't recall what kind of Tomcat they came out of.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:04 PM
dell7765

I can see how the stroke can slow down your build, and cause a lot of frustration. Not that it is the same, but I was in a auto accident a few years back and had a couple of vertebra removed. I am not in a wheel chair but if I do too much on any given day I pay for it the next day. <o></o>

Slowing down the servo is very easy I picked up a couple of servo regulators from HobbyKing. With the regulators I can adjust the speed of the servos travel on either direction. <o></o>

You can also look at the Extreme Scream motors, they are claiming 12lbs of thrust on just 10 cells and right now they are on sale for $100. <o></o>

I 'm getting my retracts made by the guy that makes all the retracts for B1 Bob. I don't know how much they are going to run yet but the gear he makes are really nice. The only other scale gear I have seen are about $500 for the Avonds plans.

Louis

Old 02-15-2011, 06:41 PM
Tomcat_104

I wish I had got mine for $500, I've never seen a set of scale retracts for that price. Matrix has a great scale set with brakes but they're over $1200 the last time I checked. Making a set would be your best bet, I think. Lehner's say they produce 15 lbs of thrust on 10C batteries but they're $400 apiece, OUCH!

No wheelchair for me anymore, I walk with a quad-cane now though I'm very wobbly. Sorry to hear about your back, I can see how that would really slow you down. Does it require you to stop and rest or are you just in rough shape the next day?

I'm building a website to chronicle my build, I should have it up and running in the next day or two. I'll send you the link as soon as I get it ready, tomorrow I need to get back to building.