Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Telemaster Re-covering

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Telemaster Re-covering

Old 02-24-2011, 02:14 PM
LargeScale88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Telemaster Re-covering

Hello. I thought the kit build was the best forum to place this topic in. I put all my current projects aside (P-51), so I can finish this up because the snow is melting and flying season is getting closer by the minute!

I started tearing off the covering (old Sig Dope and Koverall), it came off easy, but I had a layer of stix-it on the wood. I am re-covering with either Coverite fabric or Hangar 9 Ultracote. Its a very hard airframe to work with because its very fragile.

Pics to come!

Jason
Old 02-24-2011, 03:07 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Telemaster Re-covering

unless the wings have been reinforced to stiffen them up, a fabric covering does not work as well as a film does. The wings will flex to much with fabric covering, film stiffens them a bit. If you do insist on using fabric, then put on working wing struts to keep them from flexing in flight.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:30 PM
LargeScale88

Thanks for the heads up. I've actually decided to go with the hangar 9 ultracote, so hopefully it will get stiffer like u stated.

Jason
Old 02-24-2011, 05:39 PM
LargeScale88

Okay, I finally got some pictures. I may have to do some mods, major repairs, and may consider some sheeting.

Pics:

Fuselage, Wing, and the nose which is fiberglass, and the tail.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97738.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	1569393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86308.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1569394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48388.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	1569395   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rj23370.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	1569396  
Old 02-24-2011, 05:41 PM
LargeScale88

I'm really not liking the way some of the stuff came out after I pulled the covering. I know that sounds kinda funny, but it seems after I pulled the covering, everything just went to crap.

I got the firewall painted, started the rudder repair, and trying to get some warp out of the elevators with water and a straight edge.

Pics:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80853.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	1569400   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65428.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	1569401   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36402.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	1569402  
Old 02-24-2011, 09:51 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts

My STM is covered in Solartex, go to my website www.telemastersalesuk.co.uk then click on "Our Telemasters" and then on "Original Design" to have a look.

If the structure is flexible you can reinforce it by adding diagonals to the wing and or fuselage. Check out Tony Salisbury's model or Chris Robson's under the "Your Telemasters" section of my website for details.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:53 PM
LargeScale88

Thanks for the website and pictures. It looks good. I've never tried solartex before. Is it the paintable type?

Jason
Old 02-26-2011, 02:39 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts

Solartex is paintable but if you choose to finish your model in Silver Solartex to replicate an aluminium aircraft, be careful. Apparently Silver Solartex can react to some paints but I'd imagine that a water-based paint would be ok.

I'd advise putting a couple of coats of fuel proofer or varnish over the Solartex. Solartex is fuel proof but gets dirty very quickly unless you seal the weave with something.

There are six colours in the Solartex range which are transluscent; Vintage Red, Vintage Yellow, Vintage Orange, Vintage Blue, Antique and Neutral. These are supposed to look like doped silk or nylon and will allow the structure of the model to show through. The "works" TSUK STM is finished in Vintage Blue, Vintage Orange and Neutral.

I believe that there is an American product called Sig Coverall which is similar to Solartex but it lacks the heat sensitive glue on its underside. Apparently you have to coat the airframe with Stix-It first. This product might be a bit cheaper for you in the USA.

I've never used "Coverall" but Solartex is very easy to use. If you can use film, you'll be fine with Solartex. Just follow the instructions.