Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Super Glue

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Super Glue

Old 03-04-2011, 04:51 PM
FlyCrashRebuild

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Glue

Has anyone tried/seen the Gorilla Glue Super Glue, supposedly it is rubberized to be less brittle?

I've been searching thru the threads and it seems CA is the primary glue of choice.About 10 years ago the old timers I was around didn't have much good to say about it and I was encouraged to use Duco cement (it's in the green and yellow tube). Has this stuff really proven itself to have longevity. I am starting to get back into building and was wondering. I know it's a quite the debate, but what do you guys who have been building for40+ years think.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:23 PM
oskartek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Super Glue

FCR,

I started building model aircraft in the sixties using the old pre-glue and glue method with Ambroid cement.

I think CA glues are the greatest thing since we quit using stone wheels

That being said, I currently use a combination of Epoxies, CA's and Titebond 3 depending on the situation.

Happy flying, Oscar
Old 03-04-2011, 05:35 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: FlyCrashRebuild

Has anyone tried/seen the Gorilla Glue Super Glue, supposedly it is rubberized to be less brittle?

I've been searching thru the threads and it seems CA is the primary glue of choice.About 10 years ago the old timers I was around didn't have much good to say about it and I was encouraged to use Duco cement (it's in the green and yellow tube). Has this stuff really proven itself to have longevity. I am starting to get back into building and was wondering. I know it's a quite the debate, but what do you guys who have been building for40+ years think.

Hello "FlyCrashRebuild"

I wish your name would be "FlyCrash and make minor repair".

There isnot many participants in this forum that were building model airplanes more than 40 years ago.

That puts people building in the 1950s and 1960s.

We were using aliphatic type glues or similar. I have models glued with the type of glue used in those days to cement floor tiles to the floor. As a club in those days we would buy a five gallon can and spread it around the group each having about a couple of quarts of glue. It lasted a long time.

With thin CA there is not enough solid material left after cure to make a strong join so in a crash there is dozens of pieces. I will refrain from any comments why CA is so highly recommended these days. I simply will not use CA else than for tacking followed by proper gluing technique.

Zor

Old 03-04-2011, 05:48 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in my mid 40's and build all my planes, is that anything?
Like Oscar, I use a combination of glues.
Gorilla glue is a great product family IMO. I prefer the brown over the white and thier new CA.
The CA is fine but a little thick and slow to kick off. I usually use kicker to get on with the task. The white is similar to what you described a little rubbery and not brittle. It works well on fan fold foam and other foamy plane repairs. I recently tried it on a wing and didn't like it all that well. I like good ol ambroid for that stuff to be honest.
The brown GG is awsome for anything I've used it on. Firewalls included.
It's the only thing I use for hinges anymore.
About the only time I use epoxy anymore is for glassing and skinning a foam core wing. Both are done in a vacum bag and I only use West Systems.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:50 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See Airfield Models Adhesives

That website is an excellent reference for any number of things. Browse the site at your own risk