Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Rumor **

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Rumor **

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 05:29 PM
Roary m
My Feedback: (67)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig Rumor **

I could live with the arf; the commie kote they used to use really needs to go, hopefully they would go with an ultracote but I would strip the other down. It's all good.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:47 PM
oldtyme

noveldoc...........the Four Star 40 and 60 are NOT IN STOCK!! I called SIG yesterday and the woman I talked to said they hoped to have KITS in by the end of the month...........which is what I have been told for a year now! I did, on the other hand, locate a Four Star 40 kit in MO and it is now on the way. I told the guy at the hobby shop that I think he had the last existing Four Star 40 kit in the US and he agreed it might be. I searched a lot of hobby shops and could not find the Four Star 40 or 60 which is why I ended up buying a BTE Venture 60 kit instead and probably glad I did.

Cheers,
Andy
Old 04-06-2011, 02:52 PM
dash008
My Feedback: (1)

I ordered a Somethin' Extra kit from Sig on Monday and i got it today.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:10 PM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

Sorry, Andy. They listed them in stock on the web site but I guess we see how much that counts for anything.

You'll love the Venture. Great kit!

Tom
Old 04-06-2011, 07:55 PM
oldtyme

Tom..........I actually wasn't shouting but just making a point. I went to several websites that listed these kits in stock and when I called they told me that the website was wrong..........this happened about 6 times before I found the kit I did. I really wanted the Four Star 60 a long time ago but that was when I opted for the V60 and I'm really glad I did after reading all about that kit and BTE in general.

Andy
Old 04-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Roary m
My Feedback: (67)

Wasn't Bruce Tharpe the actual designer of the 4 Star series before he spun off his own company, hence the Venture design?
Old 04-07-2011, 02:38 PM
JNorton

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes he was, but not the 60.
John
Old 04-08-2011, 04:42 AM
Constrictor
My Feedback: (46)

ORIGINAL: oldtyme

noveldoc...........the Four Star 40 and 60 are NOT IN STOCK!! I called SIG yesterday and the woman I talked to said they hoped to have KITS in by the end of the month...........which is what I have been told for a year now! I did, on the other hand, locate a Four Star 40 kit in MO and it is now on the way. I told the guy at the hobby shop that I think he had the last existing Four Star 40 kit in the US and he agreed it might be. I searched a lot of hobby shops and could not find the Four Star 40 or 60 which is why I ended up buying a BTE Venture 60 kit instead and probably glad I did.

Cheers,
Andy
I know several local hobby shops that have 4 star 40 and 60 in stock
Old 04-08-2011, 04:14 PM
lrglnman

Im needing ,really bad, did I say really bad? A set of Sig Kadet sr plans. I need to rebuild my fusealage on mine. Can Anyone help me out?
Old 04-08-2011, 08:51 PM
oldtyme

Constrictor................MO must be the only state with those.........I've been searching for a long time until I came accross Mark Twain Hobbies.........don't remember what city but it was in MO.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:21 PM
oldtyme

OK..........we're talking excitement here!!! The FedEx guy just delivered my SIG Four Star 40 Kit. I've been looking for this or a 60 size for almost 9 months now and finally found one in MO at Mark Twain Hobbies.........box is open and let the building begin!!
Old 04-12-2011, 05:28 PM
Constrictor

ORIGINAL: oldtyme

Constrictor................MO must be the only state with those.........I've been searching for a long time until I came accross Mark Twain Hobbies.........don't remember what city but it was in MO.
Local hobby shop has 2 40 size in stock and 2 60, and 1 120 size.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:32 PM
Constrictor

Graves rc in florida has 2 60 size 4 stars and 2 40 size midstars
Old 04-12-2011, 06:21 PM
oldtyme

Mark Twain Hobbies is in St Charles MO
Old 04-16-2011, 06:42 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Now would be the perfect timing for a new Sig Rascal 110 in either ARF or Kit. A couple years ago I aquired a red Rascal 110 that had the nose totaled on it. I rebuilt it and set the new firewall back 2" so I could use a heavy Ryobi 31. It worked out perfect and the plane flew really nice. Well I traded that plane last year to a nice fellow and this year I found myself missing the Rascal 110 since it was one of my favorites to fly and the one plane that I loved to drop a parachute from. Well as luck would have it I just recently aquired another Sig Rascal 110, but this time a blue one and would you believe it has almost the very same damage as the red on had? I was able to repair the cowl on the red one, but the cowl was completely gone on the blue one. So after checking with fiberglass specialities and seeing that they do carry one for $35...I decided to just lay up a new one myself, but now with this great news that Sig may be comming back out with the Rascal 110....I may wait and see if they get some cowls in stock. I realize this is a kit forum, but here are some photos of my red Rascal 110 I rebuilt a few years ago and the blue one I am doing now as I type this. These were both ARFs, but both planes were rebuilt and currently being rebuilt from skills I have learned over the years from scratch building and building over 50 kits. I to would have absolutely loved a Sig Rascal 110 kit, but I wouldn't complain about a Rascal 110 arf either. Sig always has really nice stuff whether it is kits or ARFs.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ol31528.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	1594847   Click image for larger version

Name:	ol31706.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	1594848   Click image for larger version

Name:	sn40199.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	1594849   Click image for larger version

Name:	ca80427.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1594850   Click image for larger version

Name:	ay74385.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	471.6 KB
ID:	1594851   Click image for larger version

Name:	lj22048.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	1594852   Click image for larger version

Name:	vs55661.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	1594853   Click image for larger version

Name:	bz79322.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	1594854  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ay75243.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	1594855  
Old 04-16-2011, 06:54 PM
dash008
My Feedback: (1)

Nice rebuild. Where did you get the templates for the damaged parts? I too would love to see a Rascal 110 kit. I would buy that in a second.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:24 PM
ckangaroo70

ORIGINAL: dash008

Nice rebuild. Where did you get the templates for the damaged parts? I too would love to see a Rascal 110 kit. I would buy that in a second.
Thanks. I made the templates by piecing back together a pile of splintered balsa and ply that used to be the nose of the airplane. Then I just trace them to paper and then onto new ply or balsa material. On some rebuilds if too much old material is gone to reconstruct enough to make a template....then I just use my imagination and rebuild it how I think it should look or get on RCU and beg someone to do some measuring for me. The blue Rascal 110 is actually in better condition then what the Red one was when I got it. That Red one had much more structure damage and also more wing damage. The blue one the guy said he flew it into a fence, but almost all the damage was to the front of the plane and some damage to one wing half. Not to big of a deal to repair but still have a ways to go on the blue one. Funny thing is I havn't crashed one of my planes in more then a few years, but it sure feels like I have done a fair amount of crash rebuilding in the last few years.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:48 AM
sylvie369

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm kinda glad I didn't see this thread until today. About a week and a half ago I ordered a Sig Riser sailplane kit, which will be my first R/C plane. It arrived promptly (direct from Sig), and I'm about 20% of the way into the build. I've never built anything wooden larger than a Guillow P-51 before, so it's an interesting challenge, and I'm no craftsman, but man, this is a blast. I should have done this a decade ago. Great fun. I can't wait to crash, er, fly it.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:15 AM
ckangaroo70

sylvie369

Good luck on the build and I hope you enjoy it![8D]
Old 04-17-2011, 11:34 AM
oldtyme

sylvie369,

Good luck on the build. I'm building my SIG 4* 40 right now. A real change of pace from some of the other stuff I've built in the last 30 years and really relaxing. I forgot how great the wood and laser cutting was. The pieces just fall out. I also have a BTE Venture 60 on the shelf to be done and the quality is as good or better than the SIG kit. The last SIG kit I did was a few years ago........their J3 Cub and it was mostly stick built so not as easy as the 4*.

Anyway..............be sure to get an instructor before you try to fly. I don't care if you've done sim time...........do yourself a favor and get an instructor and save yourself a lot of grief.

Cheers,
Andy
Old 04-18-2011, 05:33 AM
sylvie369

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. My neighbor builds R/C planes and has hauled me off to the local club meeting, so I'm sure once I'm ready to fly, I'll join and go talk with them about how to best learn to fly the thing. I'm a no-longer-flying private pilot and have a few hours in sailplanes - I hope that'll help at least a little.

I'm really having a blast building. I've got two wing panels almost done and a third about 3/4ths done. The horizontal stabilizer is complete. I'm going to build a spare one of those and use it to practice covering, which I've never done.

The build is really making me want to get another kit, probably a powered trainer. I imagine that about the time I finish the frame of the Riser I'll put in the order for a Kadet or something like that.

(okay, trying not to hijack the thread)

I bought a Sig in part because I knew the name (I've been buying balsa and plywood for rockets for about 13 years, and I remember them from my youth), and also because I was really looking for an inexpensive kit so I could find out if I'm skilled enough to build one of these things. At $39 the Riser was a no-brainer. I've already gotten $39 worth of fun out of just building the thing. I'm glad to hear they're not on death's door as a company. I can imagine quite a few Sig boxes arriving at my doorstep.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:16 AM
ckangaroo70

How about bringing back the old Sig Komander kit as well while we are starting rumors?

I see many Sig boxes in my future as well. I have built two Hog Bipes and see a third in my near future. I would also like to tackle a 1/3 scale Spacewalker kit someday. I had the plane a few years ago, but I didn't build it. I always thought I would like to build that one myself someday.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:20 AM
noveldoc

Kadet Sr or Seniorita would be good 1st powered plane. I hear the LT 40 is good also but have not flown one myself. Kadet is a more challenging build with a bird cage rear fuse that you would probably enjoy.

I found my Kadet Sr. actually easier to fly than the Gentle Lady sailplane I started with.

If there is a hassle with Sig, you can usually find Kadet kits on the buy and sell here or on FeeBay.

Tom