Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Receiver voltage vs battery voltage

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Receiver voltage vs battery voltage

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 09:13 PM
zakkhoyt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Receiver voltage vs battery voltage

This is vague to me. I want to hear it from someone with experience:

I bought a DX7 which comes with an AR7000 receiver and a few servos. I noticed that the battery that came with the kit is a NiCad 11mAhr 4.6v4.6v battery (to operate the receiver, which is within it's range of 3.5 - 9.6 volts. It seems like they are pushing the AR7000 as a nicer receiver, which seems like it is intended to go into bigger aircraft.

I notice that, most of the BNF fly kits that I see on the market all run on LiPo 11.1v batteries (such as Parkzone Super Cub, or the PZ Stinson..), but their receivers are rated with a max voltage of less than that. What's the deal? Do these receivers have built in voltage regulators? If so, what is the max voltage to the regulator? I suppose I could just slap one of my own into the circuit, or make sure the receiver gets less power some how......

Here is a specific example: The Parkzone T-28D Trojan BNF. It comes with the AR500 receiver (datasheet says: 3.5–9.6V), and 11.1V 1800mAh Li-Po Battery
Or the Parkzone Habu. It comes with the same receiver (AR500) and uses and even bigger battery (3200mAh 4S 14.8V 30C Li-Po).

Thanks.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:31 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Receiver voltage vs battery voltage

The battery voltage in situation like this is regulated. In an electric plane such as the one that you used as an example the battery does not plug directly into the receiver. Electric planes such as this use an ESC (Electronic Speed Control) that controls the electric motor of the plane, and this is what the battery plugs into. The ESC also put out regulated power for the receiver to run off of, and in the case of the ESC in your example plane the ESC supplies 5.5 v to the reciever. The ESC will plug into the receiver on the throttle channel in order for the reciever to control the electric motor, and the power from the ESC to the receiver is also supplied through that throttle channel wire. This means there is only one wire connecting the receiver to the ESC.

Most electric planes are set up in the same way. The ESC will regulate the voltage for the planes radio to use.

Hope this helps

Ken

Old 03-21-2011, 06:16 AM
zakkhoyt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Receiver voltage vs battery voltage

Great, thank you. Makes perfect sense.