Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Anybody Have Any Experience With The Topflite Elder .40?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Anybody Have Any Experience With The Topflite Elder .40?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 08:46 AM
Woody 51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody Have Any Experience With The Topflite Elder .40?

ANYONE OUT THERE IN R/C LAND HAD ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS KIT?

ANY OBSERVATIONS, INFO ETC WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:56 AM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Woody,
The Elder 40 is a pretty easy kit despite all the open work and rigging. Just follow the instructions and you'll be ok. Bending the sheeting for the cowl looked a little tricky, but (again) following the instructions made it a pretty simple job.
In retrospect, the only thing I would do differently if i built this kit again would be to mount the engine at about a 45 degree angle rather than straight inverted. That way I wouldn't have to trim so much off the cowl to clear the muffler.
Part with a few bucks and get the TF wire wheels for it. They look fantastic! It's a great flier. Good luck!

papermache
Old 08-12-2003, 12:09 AM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Papermache,
I know this plane is not a "sport" plane (eg: Extra or Cap, etc.), but what can it do as far as aerobatics? I really like the looks of it, but it looks like it is a slow flyer, like a cub. Can it do tricks? What did you power yours with? It looks like a natural for a 4-stroke 52 or 56. Does the tail skid cause any problems (would it benefit from a wheel, even if it doesn't look scale)?
Old 08-12-2003, 09:43 AM
Woody 51

Many Thanks Papermache.

Flying Pilgrim has raised some excellent questions. I also look forward to reading the replies he seeks.

I was thinking on the lines of either a .54 4S or a .40 2S as a power plant.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:03 AM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Pilgrim/Woody,

I have a Magnum .46XLS in my Elder. It has enough power to pull it through loops, rolls and an occasional Immelmann or split S. That's about the extent of my aerobatic repitoire. I would call its flight "scale-like- plus" With the .46 it's certainly fast, and a good aerobatic pilot could probably get it to do a few tricks that are beyond my present capabilities. I would say, though, that if you want 3-D or knife edge manoevers, get an Extra, CAP or Pitts.

The 4-stroke .52 would probably be an ideal engine for this frame. It would certainly produce a more scale-like sound, and you probably wouldn't have as much problem with the muffler/cowl arrangement as I did.

I don't have a lot of problem with the skid. I fly off grass and don't do a lot of fancy taxiing. If ground handling is at a premium for you, you might want to try the wheel. I read in the review posted in "R/C Airport" that the reviewer turned the landing gear around to get it closer to the CG to improve ground handling. I'm not going there, but it's a thought.

I'll try to post a picture of my Elder when I get my scanner figured out. In the meantime, have fun!

papermache
Old 08-15-2003, 12:21 PM
Woody 51

Many thanks papermache.

Sounds like an interesting kit to have a go at.

No, I'm not after a ww1 era looking plane that flies like an Extra, and what you describe about this models aerobatic capabilities is more than I would expect from this sort of kit.
Old 08-15-2003, 12:38 PM
Intruder38

I am at the point of starting to cover. I plan to use Cverite on all surfaces and matte Monokote on the fuselage. There is a new OS 52FS under the hood. Building has been fun; lots of little wood pieces to play with. When I got all done gluing, if I had it to do all over again, I would have shortened the kit cowl by 1/4-inch, added a 1/4-inch thick balsa ring, and rounded that off to give the nose a more "finished" look. I want to include the "wire" bracing to the aft fuselage, but am reluctant to use the elastic thread recommended because I suspect it will stretch out fairly quickly and wll probably soak up exhaust residue like a sponge. I'm thinking about using black fishing line instead. Anyone have any experience/thoughts on the subject? Getting to flight status is still a ways off, but I'm looking forward to it. Haven't seen one anywhere in my area yet. Always did want to be a pioneer.
Old 08-15-2003, 05:44 PM
ronwc
My Feedback: (404)

Default Elder 40

I built one of these about 8 years ago. Made it somewhat scale looking (wires, pilot, ect) and powered it with a Saito 45. I flew it for several years but never could get it dialed in. It flew good but never quite right - I tried adjusting CG, incidence, engine thrust, ect. It looked good in the air and would do basic maneuvers,
Old 08-20-2003, 08:03 AM
Woody 51

Black Wire Fishing Trace (line) should be o.k.

I used it on my Giant Scale Planes P26 when I discovered that the stuff the manufacturer should have supplied with the kit, in fact wasn't there.
Old 08-21-2003, 12:35 AM
Intruder38

Thanks Woody 51

I didn't think about wire. All my fishing experience has been with nylon. At least now I have another possibility.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:07 PM
hoops
My Feedback: (121)

Default T/F Elder 40

Don't forget,
If you just want a fun easy flying WWI ish plane, Proctor makes a small and large version of the Antic.
They are both nice smooth flyers and very pretty in the sky.
Of course they cost quite a bit more, but the part count is higher and the prefab is great.
Probably the hardest part is capping the ribs.
The planes really just assemble step by step if you follow the directions.
Of course I haven't checked Proctor's web page for awhile, but I assume they are still producing these?

The Elder will be a little more aerobatic, but not all that much. And the flying wires on an Antic are real.

Of course I'm one of those that like to build as much as fly.
:-)
Old 08-23-2003, 09:48 PM
Woody 51

Hoops,
What is Proctors URL address?
Old 08-24-2003, 12:51 AM
N1EDM-RCU

The Balsa USA Eindecker 40 is a 'real' model of a vintage aircraft.

Has any one built one of these??

Care to comment?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 08-25-2003, 01:46 PM
hoops
My Feedback: (121)

Default T/F Elder

www.proctor-enterprises.com