Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Epoxy Gluing Techniques

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Epoxy Gluing Techniques

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 02:24 PM
poot43725

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Epoxy Gluing Techniques

Does anyone know of a neat clean, way of gluing joints with Epoxy that doesn't leave a mess to clean up
and still give srong joints?
Old 04-03-2011, 02:28 PM
huck1199

Default RE: Epoxy Gluing Techniques

I use a cotton swab or a pointed skrew stick on small joints.  Helps control the amount applied.  I also use 30 minute cure so it is a little thicker.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:30 PM
poot43725

thank you mine usally look like i was finger painting after i use a brush
Old 04-03-2011, 03:39 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use a brush if coating the engine area and thin it some.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Terry Bolin
My Feedback: (7)

Try applying the glue with a pocket screw driver to control the amount needed for small joints and if any clean up is needed, use a small square of paper towel and rubbing alch to clean the area~ I also add ground up fiberglass to the mis most of the time... (Great planes makes the fiberglass) Good luck!
Terry B
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30878.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	1588372  
Old 04-04-2011, 04:13 AM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

If joining large parts, like wings, you can put masking tape around the area you don't want epoxy on. After joining wings and wiping the joint with alcohol on paper towel, peel off the tape.

I have also put epoxy into a syringe for application, but it is only good once. You can get a "needle" tip that is rounded and dull (I think it is for injecting meds into I.V. tubes). This tip has a larger I.D. that will pass thick glues quite well.

Once I put mixed epoxy into a sandwich baggie and cut off one corner. Squeeze the glue out like a cake decorator does with frosting. It was rather messy getting it into the baggie, but still worked OK.

As stated by another post, use slow set (30 or 45 min) to give you some working time.

For most applications, I just use popsickle sticks to mix and apply. If I need a smaller applicator, I just cut a piece of scrap wood to the size I need.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:52 AM
pmw
My Feedback: (1)

I use a pipe cleaner. It's more durable than a Q-tip and spreads the epoxy as well as a brush. After spreading the epoxy, I just cut off the used piece with a wire cutter and have the remaining portion available for the next application. One pipe cleaner will last for several applications.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:01 AM
SeamusG

Em, not nice to have the same thread in 2 different forums ...

When using epoxy to bond two pieces (as compared to fuel proofing a surface) I make sure that I have at the ready: paper towels busted into individual sheets, a jug of alcohol with the top off, painter's blue tape, wax paper, stir stick, epoxy and appropriate jigs to hold the pieces in place while the epoxy sets up.

I mix my epoxy on a piece of wax paper (rather than a cup - easy to toss) with a popsicle stick.
The paper towel w/ alcohol does a great job cleaning up waste or oops and cleaning up tools before the epoxy has a chance to set up.
I tend NOT the use tape as a boundary as it will result in a hard edge that will be a real B to sand flush but I will use it to keep things straight - like a jig or clamp (thinking about holding fins square, control surfaces straight while gluing hinges, etc.).

Next time - pick a specific forum for a thread.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:43 AM
poot43725

thank you all for your responses Huck i tried the Q-tips worked real well especially pushing glue in cracks
I never thought of pipe cleaners and reusing them good idea
and completely forgot about alcohol and rag, all these respones will help me become better in the future
again thanks to all the advise you've posted
I believe if you don't know how, just ask someone has a way out there