Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Balsa Splitter/Stripper

Has anyone built a balsa splitter/stripper similar to this...

http://www.gryffinaero.com/models/ff...p/dmstrip.html

I haven't found any plans for one yet, so i was wondering what people did to print out the custom scale that would be used on the hypotenuse of the triangle to gauge the strip width.

I know it depends on the angle, and i have a spread sheet showing me the scale of the sliding measuring scale as it relates to the width of the strip. I.e. at 15 degrees, to get a 2" wide strip i would need a scale 7.727" long. (please check my math...)Also, what would you recommend for me to print out the custom measuring tape and affix it to the splitter/stripper?

Any ideas? Or is this just a waste of time and i should buy the strips already cut?
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #37

If you cant light a $100 bill on fire and watch it burn, you are in the wrong hobby.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Balsa Splitter/Stripper

My Master Airscrew for $6.99 from Tower Hobbies works just fine. Just need to pay a little attention to what you are doing.

Tom

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I use the MAS cutter and Love it.. on the hard stuff or thick stock, I just make a few passes to get through it....using new blades really help toooo

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If I needed a bunch of balsa strips for a project I might buy them. If I need to cut a few, I do it on the Master Airscrew stripper or with a bandsaw. The stripper in the link was very nice but it is kind of large and is single purpose only. Things that big have a tendency to clutter up the shop.
    Dubro 14 oz square tank brotherhood

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I ended up spending about 3 hours in the shop making my own rudimentary splitter. It was fun and i wanted to use my planer and table saw and drill press anyway. Ihad some rock maple to use for the beam to hold the blade, and a wide oak panel to serve as the base. I'll post some pictures later. It worked very well, just dont have the screw adjust feature of the master airscrew.

If you cant light a $100 bill on fire and watch it burn, you are in the wrong hobby.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm with Carl,

I use the Master Airscrew stripper for a few light duty cuts or the band saw for heavy or numerous cuts.

Wile this stripper is nice at $77 I think it belongs in the "Expensive fishing tackle designed to catch fishermen rather than fish" column

Now if your a collector of high dollar RC airplane building accessories then go for it.

I just ordered my second MS stripper yesterday since I can't find my first one I bought in 1989 after the last move. I'm sure it's in a box or drawer somewhere waiting to poke my finger.

Making your own strips is so much better than figuring how many strips you'll need for a project.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yw68558.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	1589563  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The picture you posted is the version of the splitter that wooden has evolved to, from what i understand. the original designer stopped making them and licensed the design to the company who makes the model you posted. I think i read that in an rcgroups forum. I think i'd like to make that model eventually, more for the geometric challenge of figuring the angles, slide distance and strip width, and getting it to all work, that for the amount of unility i would get from it. I could make the thing from scrap i have laying around, so it would only cost time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

rcnats
    Spitfire Brotherhood #109

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Not much to figure out on the angles two equal angle wedges will cancel each other out. Just a matter of a good length to support the stock and to mark 1/16, 1/8, 1/4 and so on.

I bought one of these test stands off ebay a few years ago. Really nice workmanship on this. I think one of these would prove more challenging and useful than a mere balsa stripper for you to build.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ur52204.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	1591168  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, there is the matter of marking on the hypotenuse of the triangle the width of the strip you're about to cut. That's the part that gets tricky. But like you said, any two mirror image right triangles will suffice to get a "fence" that stays parallel to the blade...

That's a pretty nice test stand. I made one a while back, but the plywood i can get here locally in 3/4" is typically 11 or less ply, and the 1/2" and 1/4" has proportionally less plys. The better stuff usually has 13 or so in 3/4" It looks like your stand is made from pretty good quality 1/4" and 1/2" ply and what appears to be rock maple for the engine "blocks". I've thought about upgrading mine to include a throttle handle and a better fuel tank mount. Can you post a few more pictures of your test stand so i can see a few more angles of it?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's not hard to figure the divisions. Just mark your increments (1/32", 1/16" or whatever) along the short side then carry them across with a square. Where the line intersects the hypotenuse is where you would move the piece to to achieve that thickness cut.
    Tarasdad
    Club Saito #680; Saito FA91 (2), FA80; Fox .50, .25, .19; Apprentice; Tiger 60, Sup. Chipmunk; Spirit