Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Wing incidence question????

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Wing incidence question????

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 08:53 PM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing incidence question????

I'm mounting my wing to my fuse, the front dowels are in and it's down to the hold down bolts.. Everything is coming out right on the money, with the exception of my incidence.. I had the fuse all nice and level and wing set nice in the saddle andI am come up with -1 degree.. I just have to sand the back end of the saddle to get the wing to 0, not a big deal and that is whereI stopped for the night...

So I got to thinking and would like some input from you...
If I left the -1 degree in the wing and set the stab to 0 with the wing, so the stab would also be -1 to the fuse, would I just be putting 1 degree of down thrust into the motor? I'm just thinking that if both flying surfaces are set to "0" with each other, what would that do to the fuse, other then change the thrust line to a 1 degree down thrust.. Is this thinking wrong, I don't know and that's why I am asking, it kind of has me stumped if this is correct or not...
Old 04-29-2011, 02:41 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Wing incidence question????

Wouldn't sanding the rear of the wing saddle add negative incidence ? You'd be raising the trailing edge, which puts in negative incedence.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:50 AM
Rodney

What is important is the relative angle between the wing, stab and thrust line. Incidence is a measure of the relative angles between these three items, not how it fits to the fuselage. Now, the attitude of the fuselage in flight does depend on how it relates to the bedding of the wing but is not what you measure incidence against. Incidence is a measure of relative angles, not a single angle.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:57 AM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: TomCrump

Wouldn't sanding the rear of the wing saddle add negative incidence ? You'd be raising the trailing edge, which puts in negative incedence.
Not according to my Robart incidence meeter, it shows the wing is at -1 and to correct the wing needs to go down in the back.. I have the fuse upside down(low wing), so when she is right side up, the back will be going up to get it to 0...
Old 04-29-2011, 09:50 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll bet you're looking at it from the RH side of the plane
Old 04-29-2011, 11:40 AM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I'll bet you're looking at it from the RH side of the plane
Yes, am I doing it wrong.. It's been a long long time since I used it and I don't have the directions that came with it, just the little stuff on the back..

Jimbo
Old 04-29-2011, 11:54 AM
MinnFlyer

If you put it on the left wing and look at it from the LH side it will read +1
Old 04-29-2011, 12:29 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One post here indicates a low wing model is involved.

if the wing saddle trailing edge is sanded the incidence will go toward a negative incidence.

If it was a high wing the incidence would go toward a positive incidence.

If model asks for zero wing and zero stab incidence and both are minus one (-1) then the thrust line would result in one (1) degree of up thrust not downthrust.

Zor
Old 04-29-2011, 12:36 PM
Mustangman40

If you put it on the left wing and look at it from the LH side it will read +1
Holy crap Batman, I'm in trouble!!!!!!

So what you are saying is that it is always taken from the right side of the wing, if the wing is upside down then it would be taken from the left, which is really the right, right?

If that is right, then I have to raise it at the back, or lower it at the front.. The easier solution might be to bolt it on all squared to the fuse, then wrap the center section with wax paper. Mix up some filler and apply to the saddle and bolt wing on till it reads "0", then let dry.. Is that the way most would do it, being the dowels are already in place?
Old 04-29-2011, 02:42 PM
Mustangman40

Ok, LMAO!!!
I moved the IM to the left side of the upside down wing, (right side of wing when up right) and sure as can be, +1 on the IM. So the only way to get it to "0" is to sand the back of the wing saddle! So in a sence, everyone in this thread is right, the IM meter was wrong. But I fixed that with the help of smarter builder then me, not saying his name because he is always right..So now we are right but on the left, which is really the right, right on!!!!!

I guess it really doesnt matter what side you put it on when setting to "0"
Well I am on a mission now, won't quit till evrything reads 0 and level. Funny thing is, i am building a Ultra Sport 60 to fly the crap out of, but my brain thinks it's building a show plane, when will it stop!

Old 04-29-2011, 06:47 PM
Zor
Banned

Instead of using "right side " or "left side" use "starboard" or "port" or "right wing" or "left wing".

It avoids confusion when turning the plane upside down. or when its longitudinal axis is vertical.

Zor
Old 04-30-2011, 12:01 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

maybe its time to fly that beast no sanding [8D]
Old 04-30-2011, 07:30 AM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: krayzc-RCU

maybe its time to fly that beast no sanding [8D]

I got it all reading "0" from the top, bottom, right, left, starboard, port, right wing, left wing and all with a fuse that was level.....Wing is all mounted and it's on to mounting the motor, the stupid firewall is way out of square, so nowI have to tweak it...
Old 04-30-2011, 01:29 PM
Rodney

What do you mean "firewall out of square"? It should have some down thrust and right thrust built into it, i.e. not square with the fuselage.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:29 AM
MinnFlyer

ORIGINAL: Zor

Instead of using ''right side '' or ''left side'' use ''starboard'' or ''port'' or ''right wing'' or ''left wing''.

It avoids confusion when turning the plane upside down. or when its longitudinal axis is vertical.

Zor
Even though I spent some time in the Navy, most people don't know port and starboard. That's why I said "RH" as in "Right Hand" as in "If the airplane had hands, it would be on the airplane's right-hand side"
Old 05-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Zor
Banned

MinnFlyer
Even though I spent some time in the Navy, most people don't know port and starboard. That's why I said "RH" as in "Right Hand" as in "If the airplane had hands, it would be on the airplane's right-hand side"
It will not hurt anyone if they now have to learn the meaning of port and starboard.

My airplanes do not have hands but I do.
When I turn a model upside down I do not stand on my head and do not turn my back to the model so my right hand side is still on starboard.

Just in case some people do not think of models as having hands. LOL

Regards de Zor
Old 05-02-2011, 10:21 AM
MinnFlyer

Well, ever since my honorable discharge, MY models don't have port and starboard
Old 05-02-2011, 11:12 AM
Zor
Banned

Well, ever since my honorable discharge, MY models don't have port and starboard
Nice they still have hands; a right one and a left one.

Hey MinnFlyer,

This forum is sometime too serious and what should I say ___ kind of dry .

A bit of humor is not out of place.

Have a great time,

Zor

Old 05-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: Rodney

What do you mean "firewall out of square"? It should have some down thrust and right thrust built into it, i.e. not square with the fuselage.
Rodney,
Not out of square to the fuse, the firewall is out of square, was, I fixed it.. It has 2 degrees Rt built into the fuse and calls for no down thrust.. I spent some time getting all the incidences right, wing is at "0", motor is at "0" with 2 degrees right hand thrust.. Got the nose about done last night, some more sanding, then some more sanding, followed with some more sanding..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78312.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	1603389   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44046.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	1603390   Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83498.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	1603391  
Old 05-02-2011, 04:30 PM
Mustangman40

Im confused.. If Port is opposite of starboard, then what is itwith the plane upside down standing behind it looking at it's right hand......
Old 05-03-2011, 04:16 AM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: Mustangman40

Im confused.. If Port is opposite of starboard, then what is itwith the plane upside down standing behind it looking at it's right hand......
Thee is no if about it, port and starboard are opposite.

To add to the confusion remember that the hands are on the observer while port and starboard or right and left wings are on the airplane.and rotate with it.

It always remind me that to get to destination drive on main street and turn right at the intersection.
Now that depends on which direction you are driving on main street ___Hee Hee !!!

Zor

Old 05-03-2011, 08:24 PM
EJWash1
My Feedback: (3)

Even though aviation has borrowed some terms and identifications (position lights for example) from the maritime community, using "port" and "starboard" is NOT used to define or identify left from right. Like a ship, orientation of an aircraft is defined from the center of the aircraft looking forward (direction of forward travel). The left side of the aircraft is defined as "aircraft left", and the right side as "aircraft right". From the center of the aircraft forward is defined as "forward", and rearward of center as "aft". Regardless of the aircraft's orientation over the ground, "aircraft left" and "aircraft right" is just that. It doesn't change.

Identifying an object or location of something outside the aircraft is identified in orientation with an analog clock, the nose of the aircraft pointing at twelve o'clock. If an object is to the right and perpendicular to the aircraft, the position would be identified as being three-o'clock to the aircraft, and so-on. "maverick, check your six...." United 103, traffic one-o'clock, opposite direction, one thousand feet below..." "Lobo six-three, joining at your four-o'clock..."

In the case of our models, why should it be any different?
Old 01-20-2013, 05:43 AM
a70eliminator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is that an Ultrasport your building, I had one with a Supertigre61abc header and pipe, one of my favorite for fun flying.
Always remember...PORT has 4 letters just like LEFT 4 letters, STARBOARD well you figure the rest lol.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:37 AM
Mustangman40

Yes, US 60 I been building.. It's one of those planes in the shop that I work on when I got noting else to work on, it will fly this spring as I am getting pretty close on it... It's got a ST 90 with a pipe, flaps and retracts.........I still have to add the checkerboard to the fuse for it to all come together...

Jimbo

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99321.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	1842471   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71718.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	1842472