Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Mini Telemaster build. Glow conversion.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Mini Telemaster build. Glow conversion.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 02:34 PM
Twistedteddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini Telemaster build. Glow conversion.

HEllo all. i started info for this in 1/2a but it was just gathering info. but figured it fitted better here. so im needing some help. and i figured id share my building experience with everyone. im building the mini telemaster and i have an ASP .12. i kno i kno. they said this engine would work but itgs gunna be much. its main purpose to train me on ailerons. i just need to knock the dust off my skills. so im gunna choke it up some. just not let the linkage open it full throttle. Here r some pics!

Im workin on the fuselodge. now im cconverting it to tricycle gear. so i need to kno where to mount the landing gear block. should i mount it directly under the wooden dowl where the wing straps with rubber bands? and i need to kno somewhat the right angles for the position of the thrust line for this engine setup.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vt57898.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	381.4 KB
ID:	1604282   Click image for larger version

Name:	if10882.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	291.2 KB
ID:	1604283   Click image for larger version

Name:	us52822.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	420.1 KB
ID:	1604284  
Old 05-04-2011, 03:08 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Default RE: Mini Telemaster build. Glow conversion.

You want the main gear to be about where the yellow block is on the bottom of the plane. On any trike gear you want the CG to be just in front of the main gear, if it's too far back the elevator has a hard time rotating the plane for take-off, went it does rotate it will over rotate. If the mains are too far forward the nosewheel will be bouncing off the ground and it will be hard to steer, and the plane may take-off to early.

EDITED CG and Main gear where flopped. It's what happens when a puppy is chewing on you.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:17 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No comments.

If you wish to be a nice guy, never contradict anyone.

Zor

Old 05-04-2011, 05:35 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Personally, I would place the main gear about 1/2" behind the CG range. If you put it in the center of the CG range, the model is going to want to stay on its tail if the tail is pushed down. putting it 1/2" aft of the CG range assures the CG stays In-front of the gear, so the nose gear stays ON the ground.

For thrust lines, i would go with what is shown on the plans, and then as you fly it, fine-tune the thrust line with some shims to adjust the thrust angle.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:57 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

ORIGINAL: Zor
No comments.
If you wish to be a nice guy, never contradict anyone.
Zor
We're big boys here, when someone is wrong point it out, I would never have reread what I wrote normally, and if he's asking the question he wouldn't know I got it backwards. FWIW IMHO he's wrong to want a trike on this plane, but he's got plenty of motor to overcome the extra drag.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:44 PM
shd3920

I guess its just my opinion, what do I know??? But isn't that engine you are planning kinda huge for this plane? Based on your last photo it is about three times the size of the engine compartment.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:11 PM
DUCO

Glad to see another Telemaster being built and posted. I am impressed with this small version and am looking forward to more of your build. I am a 1/2A fan as well and will keep my eyes open for one of these little fellers.
Why did you choice 1/2A as the size to learn to fly w/flaps?
Old 05-08-2011, 01:29 PM
Twistedteddy

i dont understand exactly what zors post was about? if ive annoyed anyone by expressing my opinions in other posts im sorry you feel that way but i say what i feel. i dont pull punches. and yes i agree the engine is quite huge. its just what i got? i was told to just use it and it wouldnt be much of a problem. its a weight lifting plane so the extra weight souldnt be a problem. and the power i can just keep it throttled down. i chose this model becuz its cheap and has cool abailities. i can lift a digital camera with it and take pics. thats pretty cool. im choosing tricycle gear becuz i have a taildragger. its an old plane with alot of sentimental value and i used to fly it 3 channels all the time. plus i like the stance of a taildragger. my fav. warbird is the p39 airocobra. and thanx with the landing gear. had me worried. i was gunna put it way farther back! 

BTW. i got the telemaster with shipping for under 45$ how awsesome is that?
Old 05-08-2011, 05:06 PM
Twistedteddy

Got the hor. and vert. stabilizer done. sweeeeet.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:02 PM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: Twistedteddy

i dont understand exactly what zors post was about? if ive annoyed anyone by expressing my opinions in other posts im sorry you feel that way but i say what i feel.
>
>
>
My post #3 was to attract attention to a posting suggesting to place the landing gear ahead of the CG in a tricycle gear.

This post has now been corrected.

I did not wish to contradict anyone.

Zor
Old 05-08-2011, 09:09 PM
Twistedteddy

oh ok. anyways the kids r back at theyre mom so its time to start buiding again. gunna epoxy the rear hor. and vert. stabalizers in place. possibly firewall first. post pics tomorrow.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:42 PM
DUCO

oh ok. anyways the kids r back at theyre mom so its time to start buiding again. gunna epoxy the rear hor. and vert. stabalizers in place. possibly firewall first. post pics tomorrow.
Wheres the photo's[X(]
Old 05-13-2011, 02:53 PM
cfircav8r
My Feedback: (1)

While I agree the weight of that engine may not be an issue for this plane, the torque and vibration may be too much for this light of an airframe. Being that it was designed for electric (low torque and minimal vibration) some of the areas may have been lightened beyond what a glow engine will require.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:11 PM
Twistedteddy

sorry bout no pics guys. been workin alot and havent had the energy to work on it. good point about the vibration. i epoxied every joint in the entired airframe and in the rear of th fuse. aded more sticks to help beaf it up. any more suggestions on where to strengthen it? im def. gunna make the firewall ALOT stronger. i kno it needs it there. im gunna try to work on it tomorrow sometime in the evening. and if im off mon then too.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:20 PM
Twistedteddy

I swore i posted these b4. what do ya think so far?

Name:	Pn35310.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	1608135   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80127.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	1608136  
Old 05-14-2011, 07:18 AM
DUCO

Nice, clean build, looks straight. Keep it up.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:19 AM
Twistedteddy

should i wait until after covering to put on the hor. and vert. stabalizers?just curious. figured afterwards would make covering a little easier. and im strengthening the rear section of the fuse. it was WAAAAY to weak fin my opinion. used 1/16 balsa for sides and those fat popsicle sticks for the tops and bottoms. boxed it in perfectly. should be strong enough now. will post pics tonight! got the landing gear block installed. gunna beaf it up some too jsut in case i hit a little too hard
Old 05-14-2011, 12:25 PM
DUCO

Thats one of those questions that will get many answers. I for one cover the stab, then fin, then attach and cover the fuselage. But again, there are many ways to skin a cat.
No pun to harm a animal intended![X(]
Old 05-14-2011, 12:29 PM
Twistedteddy

sThats one of my fav. expresions. Havent heard anyone use it n a coons age. lol! heres some pics of the work i got done.

and ya. i think i got the fuse pretty straight. hopefully the wings will come out just as good.

Name:	Ge95036.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	1608440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13001.jpg
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	1608441   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26716.jpg
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	1608442  
Old 05-14-2011, 12:35 PM
Twistedteddy

more pics i thought i posted :/

Name:	Ca80207.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	1608445   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95891.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	1608446  
Old 05-14-2011, 12:42 PM
huck1199

What is that in the first pic? Are you restoring an old Chevel?
Old 05-14-2011, 12:48 PM
Twistedteddy

thats my amc ambassador 68. i didnt even mean to put that up there lol! im trying to sell it but i cant... i love the car tho so im not too tore up about it, if i keep it one day ill do a full rotisery on it. i have dreams about it.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:58 PM
Twistedteddy

Ok. so the engine mount doesnt look like its going to fit in the engine bay. The solutions on the table r sanding the inside walls of the engine bay to allow it to fit. or what id rather do is build my own engine mount out of balsa and light play. myt dad had the same set up on a goldberg tiger 40 and itd do vert. takeoffs and never had a problem. what do yall think?

In other news. I got the fuse. covered with 1/16 balsa in front of the landing gear block which was moved back 1.75inch for tri gear. i didnt cover behind that cuz i may put the battery hatch there to balance the comparative monster im putting in it. I also got the (windshield) covered but not the space bwteen it and the firewall so i can instal the tank easier.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:59 PM
shd3920

. . . or what id rather do is build my own engine mount out of balsa and light play. myt dad had the same set up on a goldberg tiger 40 and itd do vert. takeoffs and never had a problem. what do yall think?
No way can you build a mount out of balsa, will be way too weak. You will need the mount beams made out of hard wood (see attached photo), and the ply plate that screws onto the bearings (recommended) will need to be 1/8" thick or a bit thicker. Reinforce behind the firewall with plenty of tri-stock and it may be strong enough to handle the vibrations of that engine. My first choice would be to sand the engine bay to make it wider for the engine if you can without making it weak.

Name:	Tr49325.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	1608564  
Old 05-14-2011, 06:03 PM
carrellh

If the engine mount will fit the firewall, I'd just leave the engine totally uncovered like a Big Stik or Ultra Stick.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.