Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Clancy Lazy Bee

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Clancy Lazy Bee

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 07:00 PM
cold spot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Clancy Lazy Bee

I hear everone complain about andy clancy and his deal with hobby pepole and how they cant get the stagger bee any more . well if we all sent andy 1.00 each from every modeler I think the problem will no longer exist . just willfull thinking. cold. spot
Old 01-07-2006, 07:41 PM
imsofaman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eventually...the only way we will be able to purchase a Bee will be a foamie with vacum formed parts glued on. Global is the king of the crappy ARFs and the Clancy plane that we have loved for a short time will never return. You know how I feel about Global and how I feel about Andy selling out.[:@] Every year I hope for a kit version to come back...but no.....the planes keep getting cheaper in quality and the prices keep going up. So...I have been doing some scratch building. It's the only way for me.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:49 PM
dicknadine

Congratulations. you have arrived to world scratch/ plan building. Clancey is only the tip of the iceburg. the proliferation of the ready to fly models will not kill the plan building, but will start one H---of a lot of young people on the wrong track to model building. dick
Old 01-08-2006, 12:33 AM
imsofaman

Dick, good hearing from you. I have not been on RCU much lately. Any new Bees in your hanger? Right now...I have WAY too many Bees in my hanger. I need to thin my herd a little.[X(]

The young guns with planes....I feel if if a new RC pilot took the time build a model from a plan...USING BALSA WOOD....he would have a little more respect for the model. I belonged to one club that was located right down the road from a hobby shop. I have seen guys do really stupid things in the air...crash...laugh about it and leave. Then...ten minutes later...they are puting together an ARF right there at the feild to get one more flight before the sun goes down. Within an hour....they are flying...like an idiots again. I think if they would have put the time into it, they would respect it. Also there is a safety factor involved. A guy trying to build and ARF at the feild as fast as he can before sun set should have been flagged, but that particular club was not run very well to begin with. Anyone who is that impatient...can easily install a servo not so well. A plane could go out of control and hit someone. There are always spectators at clubs with children, I would just want guys to stay safe. To me the ARF is a crutch to the new pilot. In the back of his mind is "I can always go buy aother one".[:@]

Old 01-08-2006, 09:34 AM
dicknadine

morning. have been trying to get back in the swing of building again and forgetting Katrina and its devestation to us and others on the Gulf Coast. being out in the country is a new enviroment for me, can't jump in the car and run around the block to see how my buddy is coming along on his new plane is a new experience for me and at 81 years young recoverery has been slow. still plodding along on the replacemnt 81" Jabiru Trimotor wing structure and trying to convince myself to get going on a small electric. Not down, just sorta lonely for nearby model builders. the current craze of the ARF's is on par with the way the young people are with their cars and other possesions, lot different than we grew up with. so carry on and and have fun. dick
Old 01-08-2006, 10:57 AM
nchrome

I agree with you all about the arfs cause this hobby sure could use some new blood as far as builders. I'm not realy against arfs but some respect and skill is lost when it comes to our hobby when a person just possibly slaps together an arf and goes out and flys it.[:'(] A lot of these young guys out there are very talented and need the guidness to fly properly and safely. I remember hearing about a young person that would take his helicopter out and take it up high and then auto rotate to the ground[sm=bananahead.gif]. Only he would get under it and catch it. Heads up people some of these people just don't know what will happen when things don't go the way they want them to. I personally don't want to be anywhere near a person that is that reckless. Let alone responsible enough to know what to do when things realy go wrong. [sm=pirate.gif] Some of these individuals need to develop some respect and possibly a little fear in themselves to understand what they are trying to do. And what the consiquenies will be when it all goes wrong. Just my 0.02 worth
Old 01-08-2006, 12:24 PM
imsofaman

Nchrome...I agree with you 100% As far as what I was sying about ARF planes, there are guys who really respect the equipment and the guys around them. Sorry about m7y little rant...but that has stuck in my mind for years. I dont know...I just like building. It may not be for everyone I guess.

Dick...sorry to here Katrina had gotten a hold of you. What a horrible situation. I hope you are doing well. Keep us updated on what you are building.

Speaking of building....I built a Stagger Bee! I had a Micro 15 on the nose at one point...but had to get more weight in ther nose, so i went with an AXI 2820-12. That should give me a pretty crazy flight! I have not tried it with the AXI yet. The other motor was way to light and it just hovered like a 3D plane. It is balanced perfect now.

Check out the photos....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34279.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	383478   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk32032.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	383479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24368.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	383480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ex68519.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	383481   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb37688.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	383482   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kb44492.jpg
Views:	651
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	383483  
Old 01-09-2006, 09:11 AM
push rodz
My Feedback: (5)

Imsofaman - dude - that is one sweeeeeet looking stagger bee............great job!
Old 01-09-2006, 11:41 AM
imsofaman

Thanks Push Rodz...great hearing form you! What are you working on for the spring????
Old 01-09-2006, 12:26 PM
push rodz

As usual........I generally have something on the board all the time. Yep - I admit it - I'm a RC junkie!

This last year, I have really gotten waaaay deep in to the electric stuff. Designed a few balsa build electrics and then I discovered Blue Cor & Depron foam! It's been down hill ever since. Here's a couple of my latest.......

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74500.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	384230   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80284.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	384231   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hn25378.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	384232  
Old 06-23-2006, 01:28 PM
metalbuggy

How are all the "Bee" lovers?
Everyone still flying Clancy kits?

I have picked up the "Clancy Kit Bug". I am currently putting together my own Stagger Bee.
I am searching high and low for a Wingeron kit for my bird.
I could probably fabricate something out of plans/templates of the wingeron kit.
Anyone with the 'leftovers' from their wingeron kit?
HELP!
Old 06-23-2006, 02:28 PM
push rodz

I've still got my Bee although it is hangin' from the ceiling in semi-retirement......... I haven't flown glow in over a year. I've thought about making a smaller version of the Lazy Bee that I could mount some electric gear in.......that would be killer and should fly well, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I'm not sure about the kit that you're looking for but maybe someone will jump in and give you a lead. Good luck!
Old 06-23-2006, 02:37 PM
imsofaman

I am selling all my bees....the Stagger is gone. The Speedy Bee is up for sale on RC groups usnder the electric plane Wantedadds.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:49 PM
D Bronk

I haven`t had a chance to read through this thread yet ,but can someone help me with plans/patterns/drawings for the LAZY BEE.I want to scrath build that plane..Any reviews/comments, on the YARD BEE??
Old 06-24-2006, 12:21 AM
nchrome

I built one and it is a try motor[X(] I used three GWS 350 motors and one speed control. The other flyers in the gym stay on the ground cause three props turning through the air realy intimidates them. Flys very stable and will just about hover in the gym. Total weight on the plane with the servos lipo batteries motors and reciever comes to about 1 1/2 lbs. I did try to fly outside but a gust of wind kindof put a hamper to that. Will repair and fly again. This plane will hover and with a gental breeze fly backwards. For me this is quite fun to do.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:08 AM
dicknadine

its a a simple build. that is depending on your building experience. it fly's like a very light, controlable rock, not like a sailplane. put a big motor on it and have a super ball. get busy and tell us about it. dicknadine
Old 06-24-2006, 06:09 PM
D Bronk

Hi Guy`s I know I can go Buy a kit ,but ,I really enjoy Scratch building .So, can someone help with drawings, for the LAZY BEE.A p.m. would be Great..Thanks Dave
Old 06-24-2006, 07:33 PM
dicknadine

I would like to stick my neck out and try to clatify your terminology. in MY opinon - of course. there is adifference between Plan building and Scratch building. Plan building is laying balsa over some one else's plan. Scratch building is drawing your own plans- either your design or enlargeing small 3 vu's and adding your structure requirements. they both require CA to assemble the pieces. also the same tools are used to cut and shape the balsa. either way I will be glad to help you build a BEE. what size ? 24" or 80" dick
Old 06-24-2006, 07:56 PM
imsofaman

let it go Dick......
Old 06-24-2006, 09:07 PM
dicknadine

NO problem-- its done. just keep building and flying. dick
Old 06-25-2006, 12:11 AM
nchrome

Glad to see that you are giving it up cause this threat doesn't neet to be debated on who's opion on scratch build is and what what ever is. Lets just go on and help these guys out and leave your interputations inside your own walls about this issue.[:'(]
Old 06-25-2006, 09:14 AM
D Bronk

Opps.After 4 projects, of starting with a stack of Balsa, and a plan, I thought I was scratch building... I really didn`t mean, to start anything,Dick.Sorry about that..I would appreciate your drawings though.Both sizes, would be great to have,please ..I can Scale them up, or ,down to suit.I want to Be ,A BEE Keeper, too..LOL.I thought ,I had the right Terminology.One of the Designers,of one of the planes that I built, had said that, what I was doing was Scratch building ,plus I found this in the glossary.I would rather, not take this thread to a debate....I just wanted ,to let you see, where I was coming from...Thanks , DAVE B.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...=0&sort=1&key=
Old 10-05-2006, 11:36 AM
WEBB1

I HAVE GOTTEN IN THIS CONVERSATION A LITTLE LATE,BUT I WOULD LOVE TO GET A HOLD OF PLANS/DRAWINGS FOR BEE CONSTRUCTION.ANY HELP WOULD BEE GREATLY APPRECIATED.MY BROTHER AND MYSELF HAVE BOTH SCRATCH BUILT AND PLANS BUILT SEVERAL PLANES-SOME FLEW GREAT AND SOME----OH WELL!!LOOKING FOR HELP WITH PLANS OR DRAWINGS FROM A PROVEN DESIGN TO SAVE SOME GUESS WORK,TIME AND EXPENSE.I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A STAGGER BEE,AND A LAZY BEE,WHEN I HAD THE CHANCE-HIND SIGHT IS ALWAYS 20/20.THANKS--EMAIL ADDRESS IS [email protected]-IF YOU ARE STILL FEELING GENEROUS!I WILL GLADLY PAY FOR ANY EXPENSES.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:02 PM
jadec241
My Feedback: (29)

I just finished my arf lazy bee. I installed a OS 25. I used Hitec hs81 servos with a Futaba 127 receiver. The Battery & receiver is mounted up front under the tank. Took it for its first spin today. I put the rudder servo in the airlon slot & it worked out great. This is the first plane I used only rudder.After being used to 1/4 size planes with gas engines this was quite different.
The maiden flight was a little tricky, but after it got airborn & trimmed she flew great with only 4 clicks of throttle. Plan to go out tomorrow & try some 3d stuff.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:35 PM
smilam

I am looking for a set of instructions for the Stagger Bee Kit. I bought one at a swap meet but the instructions are missing. I pulled it out of the box and built the wingeron which had the instructions on the plan sheet. When I got ready to start the fuslage low and behold no instructions. I any body has a set I would be glad to pay fpr copying and shipping.
How do they fly and are there any modifications I should be aware off?
Thanks
Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.