Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Homemade (not RCM) wing jig designs?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Homemade (not RCM) wing jig designs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 06:17 PM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Homemade (not RCM) wing jig designs?

I would love to find a way to duplicate a wing jig similar to the Adjusto-Jig. I like the idea of building necessary dihedral straight into the wing, and building the wing as a whole, not 2 halves.

Anyone accomplished anything like this they could share with me that I can build?

Brian
Old 05-11-2011, 07:40 PM
Mooney_driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Homemade (not RCM) wing jig designs?

ORIGINAL: Ilikebipes

I would love to find a way to duplicate a wing jig similar to the Adjusto-Jig. I like the idea of building necessary dihedral straight into the wing, and building the wing as a whole, not 2 halves.

Anyone accomplished anything like this they could share with me that I can build?
I was looking at the Airfieldmodels.com magnetic board system yesterday and noticed that Paul is going to be publising a new version of his magnetic board and sounds like it will be soon. You might take a look at http://www.airfieldmodels.com/inform...c_fixtures.htm

and

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/inform...oard/index.htm
to see what Paul has developed.

Ihave not really seen any other jigs other than the Adjusto-Jig and RCM wing jig so am not familiar with the Great Planes jig but the Adjusto-Jig could be made from 1" square tubing, steel rods, and make the rib holders out of plywood. Idid talk to one modeler that did that. Iknow the grandson of the Adjusto-Jig inventor and distributor was trying to bring them back . Take a look at the thread over on RCG at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1246920 for more info.

The Adjusto Jig does show up regularly. Ibought one on here a couple of months ago.

Good luck with your quest.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:28 AM
Tony Hallo

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Starting on post 39 www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9582545/anchors_9620353/mpage_2/key_/anchor/tm.htm#9620353
Old 05-12-2011, 09:44 AM
EscapeFlyer

Tony,

Thanks. Definitely cool. I have been interrested in tying this method for constructing classic pattern wings after visiting this thread often in the past.

Mooney driver-

Bingo! Thanks. Now I can get it going. Time to start a parts list and to create patterns.

I don't have plans to retool to the magnetic building board system any time soon. That is not to say it isn't worth it, but no time and lots of money to get it done.

I hope the Adjust-O-Jig does go back into production.
A must have tool for sure.

Brian
Old 05-12-2011, 10:45 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ilikebipes,
 I can understand where you are coming from on going to a magnetic system. But if your serious about building I can't recommend it enough. I converted to a magnetic system awhile back (and money was VERY tight when I did) and now I wouldn't even consider building on anything else but the magnetic system. It will really change the way you build!!!!

Just some food for thought

Ken
Old 05-12-2011, 05:41 PM
EscapeFlyer

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Ilikebipes,
I can understand where you are coming from on going to a magnetic system. But if your serious about building I can't recommend it enough. I converted to a magnetic system awhile back (and money was VERY tight when I did) and now I wouldn't even consider building on anything else but the magnetic system. It will really change the way you build!!!!

Just some food for thought

Ken

Thank you for jumping in Ken. I am very serious about model airplane building.

I would like to have a magnetic building board. I can even see how it would be fairly simple to jig a wing together in one piece instead of 2.

Definately something I hope to persue in the future.

The problem I have always faced in the past is finding the perfectly flat building surface. I have not found a flat hollow core door at any of my locale hardware chain stores, little-lone build a flat surface. I am pretty anal about this. This has eluded me for 17 years. Now that I have the pool table slate, I have my perfectly flat surface. I would feel more confident setting a metal sheet down.

Brian
Old 05-12-2011, 05:55 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Brian,
 If you have the "flat surface" then you have half the battle won already. To build a magnetic system all you need now is a sheet of steel. I have 18 gauge steel in 3 sizes that I use for building; 24"x72", 24"x48", and 12"x24". The large piece I have premanently attached to a hollow core door. The other two I keep loose and can move them around as I need them. If you have a slate pool table that is flat you can easily just lay the steel down on top of that and you will be ready to go!!!!

Ken

Old 05-13-2011, 04:20 AM
CafeenMan

I have been contemplating a method of incorporating a wing jig into my magnetic system for a while. I haven't put serious thought into it because all my time has been used developing the core system. I will be releasing my new system today (a little later) and at this time it does not have a dedicated wing jig. But it's on my list of things to do. Whether or not I release one and when it gets released if I do depends entirely on how complicated it is. I've found it takes a lot more effort to make something simple.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:08 AM
Al Stein

Hey Brian

A matter of curiosity: were you aware of the second gen RCM setup that had two halves, the angle able to be set on each for dihedral? Just wondering since you were looking for non-RCM jigs whether you were aware of the more advanced version or maybe just didn't like it?
Old 05-24-2011, 07:29 AM
EscapeFlyer

ORIGINAL: Al Stein

Hey Brian

A matter of curiosity: were you aware of the second gen RCM setup that had two halves, the angle able to be set on each for dihedral? Just wondering since you were looking for non-RCM jigs whether you were aware of the more advanced version or maybe just didn't like it?
Al,

I haven't seen this one yet... but the problem I had with the design in general with the GP jig is that it isn't supported through-out the wing assembly except at the center. I believe the RCM jig is better in the sense that you still build the wing on the table. You only have to adjust the outer support structure by tailoring it to a specific wing.

I think the adjust-o-jig takes out a lot of the math, it is fairly compact, and it also doubles as a fuse jig. Comparatively, I think the Adjust-O-Jig is superior... IMO.

Brian