Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

cub kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 06:52 AM
artjumps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cub kit

I am new to the hobby, and was interested in a Sig Cub kit someone has for sale for $50. Is this a good price for that kit, and how difficult would it be to take on a kit build like this for someone who has never done one before?
Old 05-21-2011, 07:12 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: cub kit

SIG has some of the better instructions, same with Great Planes. Both have nice photos of each step of the build. If your good at following instructions and have some understanding of airplanes then kit building isn't too hard at all. The SIG Cub should be just fine as a first build if you don't rush the job. I THINK if you go onto there web site you can look at the instructions and decide for yourself if you want to give it a try. Look up the price and decide for yourself. Make sure all the parts are in the kit. I just built the CG Cub for a friend and someone had removed and used way too many parts to do a repair on another plane. I was able to build the plane but it was a lot more work then it should have been.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:18 AM
DUCO

Depending on which one, heck for that matter any of them, yes a very good price! Agree with the given advice, great intructions and plans with SIG kits.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:51 AM
pt19 flyer
My Feedback: (1)

hi artjumps

hope you don't have the hazel sig cub. this is a stick built model and would be somewhat
difficult for a first time builder.
this was a terrible flyer, hope you have better luck with yours if it is the same kit.
just remember, rudder, rudder, rudder. I built it as a clipped wing but order the full
wing kit also. had to shim the trailing edge up about 1/4+ inch to get it off the ground,
tended to ground loop.

hope this does't discourage you on this, you may have better luck.

good luck and happy flying

pt19 flyer
Old 05-21-2011, 09:08 AM
rafeeki
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am building the same kit which now in skelton for ready to cover. It lacks instructions for servo & radio equip installation. Your on your own there but not impossible.
In my opinion its not for the first build although at that price it is a bargain.
Good luck

Rafeek
Old 05-21-2011, 09:46 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the long run you would do as well or better to buy the Hangar J-3 Cub 40 ARF, http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HAN4000 . I normally kit build all my planes with these two exceptions. I had the J-3 40 ARF and it is still flying five years later by another club member. I presently have the Hangar 9 1/4 scale J-3. As ARFs go, these two are great buys and the quallity is excellent. You most likely cannot build one as nice for the price.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tr49327.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	302.9 KB
ID:	1612124   Click image for larger version

Name:	jh16857.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	1612125  
Old 05-21-2011, 09:48 AM
rafeeki

Hi Airbus,
How much does it weigh and what engine do u have in it pl
Rafeek
Old 05-21-2011, 09:50 AM
rafeeki

I meant how much doesthe 1/4 scale cub weigh and what engine are u using?
Old 05-21-2011, 02:37 PM
robkamm

i just finished up a original 1/6 cub kit from the early 60s. plans only in those days. it wasnt to hard to build take your time and enjoy the ride. building is 1/2 the fun
Old 05-21-2011, 05:04 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rafeeki

I meant how much doesthe 1/4 scale cub weigh and what engine are u using?
The 1/4 scale airplane has an OS FT-160 twin-cylinder four-stroke motor. I never weighed the plane but the assembly manual stated 15 to 16 lbs depending on equipment. So I would guess with the on board glow batteries and the the OS FT-160(40 oz) that it is nearer 16 lbs. But it still just hovers to a landing. A very nice and docile flyer. Also, very stable on takeoff. No tendency to pull from a straight run down the runway.