Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

The dreaded step!

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

The dreaded step!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 04:52 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The dreaded step!

Covering / Fiberglassing / Painting.

I'll sand all day
Old 06-01-2011, 04:53 AM
Lamoilleriver

ORIGINAL: tryingagain

While the Slot Machine and CA hinges have made life easier I still hate installing hinges.

A close second would be bending piano wire!

Cheers

Gord

I agree!!
Old 06-01-2011, 05:00 AM
exfed

I don't really know what you guys are talking about, never been there.. For me, it's putting those darned decals on. I can never get them straight. They don't slide around like the old decals in plastic kits used to do. By the time I realize that they are crooked, it's too late. And, I can never figure out which way a Star and Bar should point on the wings. Thank goodness there are ARFs out there now that have the decals already installed. Thank you Frankie T.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:10 AM
outdoorhunting

BALANCING followed by my second most hated part of building- BALANCING !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-01-2011, 05:29 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hinges for sure and then throttle hook up on a gas engine[:@] Oh and then there is fiberglassing and the very,very, very worst part.. REBUILDING!!![:@][:@]
Old 06-01-2011, 06:01 AM
OntAeronut

I guess I am one of the rare breed, I enjoy building planes. I find it a great way to get rid of stress. However out of building I would have to guess that sanding/carving has to be what I hate the worst. I still have nightmares of sanding the Ultrasport fuse...ugh..and now I am building a Dave Platt spitfire, *old 60size kit* and I have to do all this sanding..*whine whine snivel sniff*.. LOL.

Other then sanding..I would have to agree with others, that bending and sodering piano wire. Specially on a Sig Mini smith.. *screw this clamp in place and break out the mig welder.... *

Old 06-01-2011, 06:27 AM
Steve Landron

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll second Covering, Radio, and motor installation!

Steve
Old 06-01-2011, 06:41 AM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

Really Brian, how can you hate ANY step in building a kit??? [&:] I enjoy all of it. The part that slows me down is designing a covering/paint scheme. I'll mull over that for days or weeks even. But HATE it? Naw, it's all good.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:52 AM
Flyerjoe
My Feedback: (9)

The "dreaded step" for me is when I am working on a 30 or 35% airplane and I have skinned the wings. Now the time has come when you cut out the surfaces and have to face them with leading and trailing edges. I worry over cutting them both out the same. It just freaks me out.

Nubbs
Old 06-01-2011, 07:30 AM
Tripower455
My Feedback: (2)

Iron on covering. Even after 30 years of messing with the stuff, plastic film hasn't gotten any less frustrating! Give me solid wood structure and glass any day of the week.

Other than that, I love to build, even sanding. Nothing like watching what appears to be a block of wood turn into an airplane.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:53 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always see the first maiden flight as always being the hardest step to take.

But many many years ago I tended to hate building wings. But I got over it eventually.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:12 AM
Edge540Aerobat

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I hate it when the guy askes me for my credit card [:@]

HAHA. For me would have to be hinging, then pushrod/linkages. I don't mind sanding or even plastic film covering.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:18 AM
sscherin

The step I fear the most is right after I decide to start a build and have ask my wife for $$..
Old 06-01-2011, 08:26 AM
Tony Hallo

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Paint
Old 06-01-2011, 08:27 AM
EscapeFlyer

ORIGINAL: Avaiojet

For me, I hate setting the horizontal stab and squaring up the wing.

Absolutely hate this step.
Brian,

I'm surprised no one picked up on this? It appears as though you put the wing in after the tail feathers? Did I read that correctly?

I always set my wing in place first. Totally in place, screws and all. THEN I set my stab measuring off of the wing. If the stab is square and aligned, the vert stab is easy to put in place.

I really live to build, especially scratch building, but I have never made two left or two right wings by mistake.

I guess I never realized this as an issue. I don't remember a kit that ever mounted the wing 1st... The wing is usually always squared off the center of the rear fuse, or the tip of the horizontal to the tip of the wing.

I've been studying Joe Bridi lately. On his Super Kaos, he mounts the horizontal 1st, then he sets the wing to the horizontal. Builders preference I guess.

raptureboy-
Hinges for sure...
I'll second that too.

AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken-
Really Brian, how can you hate ANY step in building a kit???

Don't know that I hate any part of it... but I do dread a few steps.

Brian

edit... I guess I did use the word hate... oh well.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:58 AM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

I hate sanding....although I realize this hatred, so I try to temper it by spending additional time on it so I'm happy with results
Old 06-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Scale Freak

Actuall I really don't mind sanding. I love the feel of the wood as it gets all nice and smooth!
The one thing I abhore is iron on covering the wing. I can never seem to get rid of that one last
wrinkle without cutting it out and using a small patch. Tacking the darned stuff on drives me nuts
as it always seem to shrink up a wee bit and go out of whack...leading up to that last
wrinkle that even 1000 deg wont get rid of!
Give me a sheeted / glassed and painted plane any day!

Dan
Old 06-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Mustangman40

Bout the only thingI hate is when i drop that little screw in the tightest place and sit there shaking the plane like a mad man trying to get it out, only to have it come out and go flying across the room, never to be found again...

I am different i guess, I like sanding, especially the final sand.. I usally take the plane outside and sit in my lawn chair with a cold drink and the radio on and sand away. I have the air hose by my side and that really helps to be able to blow it off to check progress and the natural light really lets you see what you are doing.. If you never sanded outside on a sunny day, give it a try, you just might like sanding...

Ok, Setting up a motor and getting the thrust lines just how you want them can be a PITA. and finishing up a radio install just to here a servo buzzing because something is binding, well i hate that crap too!!!
Old 06-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: Scale Freak

Actuall I really don't mind sanding. I love the feel of the wood as it gets all nice and smooth!
The one thing I abhore is iron on covering the wing. I can never seem to get rid of that one last
wrinkle without cutting it out and using a small patch. Tacking the darned stuff on drives me nuts
as it always seem to shrink up a wee bit and go out of whack...leading up to that last
wrinkle that even 1000 deg wont get rid of!
Give me a sheeted / glassed and painted plane any day!

Dan
I am leaving this thread now!!!!!!!!
Old 06-01-2011, 11:26 AM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

Gluing in clear canopies into the canopy frames. *^%#*#%$@ Hate that!
Old 06-01-2011, 12:02 PM
crash bandicoute

i think the part i dispise te most is trying to find paint to match whatever covering i'm using. then you can't find any and you have to paint the cowling and wheel pants something generic like black or white or something. unless you're into dropping tons of cash getting paint color matched. THEN comes the fuel proofing whatever paint you chose to use.

after all that, i don't mind the covering, but that just means i'm that much closer to installing all the radio gear. it's not even getting the CG set correctly that's the pain for me. something i just don't like about it. i have 3 planes sitting ready to fly other than doing the linkages for them. maybe it's the thought of pulling my motor off the one pane to install it on the next to set the throttle cable. i HATE only having one motor....
Old 06-01-2011, 01:09 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

I enjoy sanding. I enjoy covering. I dread running control rods if I am using flexible rods. I especially HATE running the control rod over, under, around, beside, through the fuel tank to get to the nose gear.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:19 PM
hsukaria

I LOVE setting up the radio and pushrods, balancing, programming the radio, etc... I don't like to do hinges or covering. And I stink at gluing canopies.

We should set up a co-op, get the guys who love a certain step to do that respective part. And then pass on the next step to the next guy who loves to do that step. Maybe that is how ARF factories are set up?
Old 06-01-2011, 01:33 PM
GaryHarris

I hate hinging most of all. The second thing I hate most is getting a new kit and opening it just to play with all the new goodies, and trying to fit it all back in the box because I already have a kit on the board. I could never get everything back in the box so I end up duct taping the box closed so I don't lose anything. [&:]

I'm sure I'm the only one who has ever done this.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:41 PM
Alex7403

To all hinging haters I just dont understand you, hinging is fun especially with CA hinges and slot machine with cutting guide if done before covering with small nails instead of pins for gap and CAing through toothpicks that secure the hinges.
Yes I can see how you hate this if you are hinging after the airplane is covered.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.