Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

The dreaded step!

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

The dreaded step!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 05:19 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: The dreaded step!

I cant stand sanding, because iam not to good at it and have to take more time to do. Covering is next on my cant stand to do list. joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86681.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1618136   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37171.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	1618137   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dj11577.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	1618138  
Old 06-02-2011, 06:54 AM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may hate sanding, but you're an amazing craftsman... What a cool project!

Brian
Old 06-02-2011, 06:57 AM
TBONE6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: AmishWarlord

Oh forgot about this one. I haven't built a plane from a kit "That I didn't bash into something unrecognizable" in a long time but when your kit building and on a step then they tell you to do something that should have been mentioned three steps before.

"Quickly reads directions before building, 1... 2... 3 cut out hatch,4 glue in rails,5 install servo,6 put on control horn, 7 put cover back on. Got it"

Step 3 Cut out hatch cover

Step 4 Glue in servo rails.

Step 5 Install servo

Step 6 Align servo horn with push rod then screw in place

Step 7 Install hatch cover. Screw hatch cover into blind nuts mounted on back of servo rails.

What!? I glued in those rails in step 4 and now in step 7 you tell me I needed to install blind nuts in the back side of those rails!

Old 06-02-2011, 07:50 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ilikebipes

You may hate sanding, but you're an amazing craftsman... What a cool project!

Brian
Any one could build one in a year,thats how slow iam . lol I have her painted and graffics are going on,thanks callie, plan to maiden her real soon. joe
Old 06-02-2011, 10:01 AM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: joebahl

I cant stand sanding, because iam not to good at it and have to take more time to do. Covering is next on my cant stand to do list. joe

After looking at the photos I'd have to say that if you are no good at sanding, I would love to see something you are good at! That is a beautiful project.

BTW I learned to overcome my own fear and loathing of carving, shaping, and sanding by carving the big props for the larger rubber powered free flight models. At one time I traveled a lot and would carve props in mt hotel room at night. I suspect the maids wondered at the wood shavings in the trash, not to mention the occasional bloodstain.

jess
Old 06-02-2011, 11:36 AM
daven

People that detest sanding are probably trying to get every last grits worth out of their blocks.

Change that paper often and it will go much easier
Old 06-02-2011, 11:54 AM
junkjet
My Feedback: (55)

glassing
Old 06-02-2011, 04:48 PM
edh13
My Feedback: (9)

Running back and forth to the hobby shop 42 times because out of the 1000's of nuts, bolts, screws, pins, hinges, horns, wires, tubes, tanks, wheels, mounts, clevises, tapes, glues, covering rolls, drill bits, fuel fittings, spinners, props etc that I've managed to accumulate over the years NOTHING I have in stock will work with the plane I'm building.[:@]

P.S. Replace 'hobby shop' with 'Home Depot' if I'm working a home project...[:@][:@]
Old 06-02-2011, 05:05 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: edh13

Running back and forth to the hobby shop 42 times because out of the 1000's of nuts, bolts, screws, pins, hinges, horns, wires, tubes, tanks, wheels, mounts, clevises, tapes, glues, covering rolls, drill bits, fuel fittings, spinners, props etc that I've managed to accumulate over the years NOTHING I have in stock will work with the plane I'm building.[:@]

P.S. Replace 'hobby shop' with 'Home Depot' if I'm working a home project...[:@][:@]

You have a hobby shop? Within less than a day's travel?!

Now I remember my only dreaded task in building.[]

jess
Old 06-03-2011, 01:31 AM
genisis300

i hate working with plastic parts like wheel spats and nose cowls
i'm only on my 1st plan build but the wings where the scary part for me,

got to say nothing beats sanding a block down to the exact shape [&:]
Old 06-03-2011, 05:32 AM
richardgerardi

I absolutely hate cutting cowls it makes me cringe.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:08 PM
DUCO

Dupilcate: Wing tips and anyother item that requires 2 of, you can bet the farm, I will not get them the same!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-19-2011, 08:34 PM
balsabuff
My Feedback: (30)

DISLIKE [&o]: hinging, radio install, tank install when there is a space/centerline issue, re-doing anything, and worst of all...engineering retract placement and functional landing gear doors.
THINGS I LIKE THAT MANY OTHERS HATE : making a kit from plans, planking, sanding, glassing, painting. ABSOLUTE FAVORITES : Framing-up, adding decals/dry transfers, peeling masking tape off. 'buff
Old 09-19-2011, 08:56 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I didn't go back and see what I said but it was probably sanding, now it's sanding and painting. I never have been able to paint but it hasn't gotten any better over time.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:50 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Wife and I picked up some old end tables that someone had thrown out. We where going to use them outside on the front porch until we get some better ones later.

The tops where trashed and had some sticky stuff on them. She washed off the sticky stuff. I took off the top layers of what didn't come off with a gun cleaner spray. Then sanded the top with 60 grit sand paper on the sander. Wiped it down with a damp rag. That's it. We did this in ten minutes. Now the wood is still kind of wet from where it was washed and still had gun cleaner residue on it also. I went in the shop and grabbed some 3 years old blue spray paint. And just sprayed it on without care. and just left it out in the yard that night to dry or get rained on.

Things I did wrong

1 Just sanded with 60 grit rough sandpaper.
2 Painted in low light at sunset.
3 Just used paint, no filler or primer coats.
4 Painted still damp surface with oil based paint.
5 Used spray paint that was 3 years old
6 Painted over and un-known cleaning residue.
7 Didn't paint in overlapping patterns. Just blasted it on without care.
8 Sprayed more paint on top of wet paint. This will cause a run or sag every time!
9 Went back and just spayed more paint into holes or scratches that looked like they needed it without care of runs or flash.
10 Painted in the late evening with high humidity.
11 Left wet painted items out in the yard under a tree over night with a chance of rain.

The next morning. It hadn't rained over night. The table where absolutely flawless. The paint had laid down and dried to a glossy defect free shine. No bugs, leaves, sticks, or dust had fallen on the wet paint despite it being out all night under a tree. There was no runs, sags, orange peel, or flash anywhere. There was no thin spots in the paint or anywhere showing that there was only a 60 grit sanding job under the paint. The paint looked like it was sprayed on top of a 2,000 grit polished primer coat.

I was pissed. I swear you make just one of any of those mistakes and it will ruin the paint job on a model. Heck even if you spray it perfect some damn bug will fly into it before it dries.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:53 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Amish... That is pretty good! Like I always say, If you can't be good, be lucky!
Old 09-20-2011, 10:35 AM
stevenmax50

I havent even read any of the postings in this thread, just the title. And I will betcha that the majority of responses are just like mine. SANDING!!! I hate it.

Well Iwent back and read the thread. Seems as if I am in the minority. Ithink Iwill try the sanding outside with the air hose nearby idea.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:52 AM
ARUP

Installing radio stuff.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:58 AM
rafeeki
My Feedback: (11)

Instead of air hose I use a shop vac with a sizable paper funnel close up to where I am sanding.

sanding is not my dreaded last step, it is one of the better ones as the shape of the wing tips, nose etc.. start taking shape, yepeee a precurser for covering..
Old 09-20-2011, 11:02 AM
rafeeki
My Feedback: (11)

Hey Joe,
Last I saw u at St John early summer. Did u get her up and running?
Did u get the other one that was perched up in the tree at Lake Hills? I have had worse

rafeek
Old 09-20-2011, 11:55 AM
wilde

Gary,the answer to your second hate is to grab a large cup of coffee. Now, lay the kit down on the table FACE DOWN. lift the inner box from the kit and place beside the kit. carefully note the orientation and spacial position of the contents as each piece[ pieces] is/are removed for inspection . note that the piece has to be replaced in the box in a mirror image.[ ie. rotated 180 Degrees ] the manufacturer achieved this , so now it is up to you

forgive the pun,we are constantly reminded to "think outside the box" in this case we do have a box to "think outside of"

roll plans up with the print outside. they will then lay flat on the table,and not roll up
Old 09-20-2011, 04:05 PM
SeamusG

One word "CANOPIES" - arrrggggggggggggg ....
Old 09-21-2011, 01:56 AM
robc57

Cutting ribs - it's just plain boring.
Film covering - I can never seem to get a straight line to stay straight, then two days after Ifinally think I've got everything looking reasonable I come back to find the beast covered in bubbles.
Carving and sanding - now that's the bit I enjoy, as ugly square blocks transform into graceful curves.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:01 PM
tcraftpo
My Feedback: (7)

Covering...can't stand it. I have three unfinished planes that just need covering, even the radio and engine stuff have been fit and finished then removed for covering. The covering is your signature and I think that's why I can't stand it. I admit that once I do cover a plane it turns out pretty decently so I don't know why I can't stand it. Did I mention that I can't stand covering?
Old 09-28-2011, 06:23 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have another one to add.

just about the time I get one done, and flying decent..I am only interested in the next project I don't even need ! I have one plane now that gave me enough trouble I WISH it had broke more on the last crash so I could.. MOVE ON and give up on it !

its an addiction ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.