Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Need Uk Based Help !!!!!!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Need Uk Based Help !!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 07:26 PM
DragonHeart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Uk Based Help !!!!!!!!!!

Hi,

Hope someone out their can help in anway, im compelty stuck
Im building a Great Planes Super Sportstar 40 ARTF kit, but im trying to mount the engine, as ive had to make a plywood engine spacer as via the instructions the kit says i need to find four 6-32 1" screws to mount it to the firewall which im finding impossible to find anywhere i only need 4 of these things, and i cant find them anywhere which stocks them or i can order from. (as these wernt supplied in the kit) all i keep getting from all the model shops ive tried is no, dont know where you can find them, which is a great lot of help

PLEASE help i need these screws !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyhelp would be extremely appreciated.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:54 PM
bgorham

DragonHeart ... I feel your pain! I happen to have 4 6/32 screws from my dear departed venture 60. I actually had to pick them up in the states as no one around here carried them. Lesson learned for those living here in England. Replace all SAE hardware with metric equivalents.

Email me your address at [email protected] and I'll pop them in the post for you.

Bo
Old 08-14-2003, 08:06 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

DragonHeart:

Take heart. It is not written in stone that you must use #6 screws for this.

Just pick anything in the same size range, 3.5mm for example, and get on with it.

Bill.
Old 08-18-2003, 08:30 PM
bgorham

Hey Barry ... did you get the screws? My wife dropped them in the post on thursday.

Let me know. Bo
Old 08-19-2003, 10:03 AM
DragonHeart

Yes thx was a great help many thx for that, i now seem to have a problem fixing the engine onto the mount as the caphead screws with the kit seems usless lol the heads just wear away before i can screw the dam things down

Thx alot for those anyway
Old 08-19-2003, 11:09 AM
Sprink

I rarely use all the screws etc supplied in a kit, especially if they are not metric. The hobby shops usually stock the main metric parts, other wise contact Nexus Model Supplies as they have a big range.

http://fp.blueone.plus.com/

Give them a ring and ask for a copy of their catalogue.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:11 PM
bgorham

Well, I am glad that we got you part of the way there. Just drill your mount out for your engine and pickup the proper hardware at a local DIY store. I prefer to thru bolt engines into the mount, and use standard hardware with teflon locking nuts for the engine mounts. Never had a failure.

I am glad that I could help out a little bit anyway.

Cheers .... Bo
Old 08-20-2003, 12:41 AM
MinotRich

DragonHeart ... I feel your pain! I happen to have 4 6/32 screws from my dear departed venture 60. I actually had to pick them up in the states as no one around here carried them. Lesson learned for those living here in England. Replace all SAE hardware with metric equivalents.
Funny that you Brits say that, cuz' here in the states, if I buy a kit made overseas (usually Japan or China) the first thing I do is go to the hobby store and replace all the metric crap with S.A.E. stuff. And God help me if I need a metric part say for an O.S. engine... trying to find metric stuff in this country is frustrating! Rich
Old 08-20-2003, 03:40 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess we have the best, or worst, of both worlds in Canada. We are officially Metric, but you can find SAE everywhere. If you are looking for metric in the US, try http://www.microfasteners.com .
Old 08-20-2003, 09:20 AM
Sprink

MinotRich, thats the trouble with having two different sizing systems. While Metric is more widespread worldwide, US is too big to live without.

I now own a full set of Metric and nearly a full set of Imperial (US size) tools so that I'm not too limited. Still tend to use metric if at all possible.
Old 08-20-2003, 09:59 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sprink:

You should have been around in the "Old Days."

It wasn't just American "Inch" size wrenches and worldwide "Metric" wrenches, there were also Whitworth, British Standard, British Aircraft, British Electric, and of course, Cycle Engineering Institute. These last five, as you may have guessed, were all from the British Isles.

And since 99 out of 100 imported vehicles in the USA were British in the early days, (Before the attack of the Beetles) an import mechanic had to have them all to be fully equipped.

In 1957 most British car manufacturers, hoping to get greater penetration in the US market, switched to the SAE system. Most, but not all. The motorcycle manufacturers did not switch. Rolls, Aston, and Rover, that I know of, also did not switch.

When Britain switched to "Officially" being metric, there was a trend toward standardization.

But you still find Jap metrics that wont fit the "Same" size US British and European metric screws. All interchange except the Jap ones.

And if you work on older British cars and motorcycles you still need the other tool systems.

So while we are working toward standardization, there's still a long way to go.

Bill.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:39 PM
Rayvyn
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Need Uk Based Help !!!!!!!!!!

SPRINK, Any details on the Nexus Supplies company you mentioned?? I can't find any info on them at all...