Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

My never ending Four * 40 build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

My never ending Four * 40 build

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 08:53 PM
justinCO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My never ending Four * 40 build

So, almost 7 years ago, I joined RCU around the time I began this Four Star 40 build. This was/is my first ever real RC airplane build. Back then I got the wing done, and the fuselage, and slowly began getting other parts together in hopes to finish soon (I had no radio or electronics, engine, flight accessories, etc). My project got put on hold indefinitely when I had to change my bedroom work shop into our first childs bedroom. Not too long after that I decided to get into park flying because of its convenience and the fact that we had a gigantic park within walking distance from our house. So I joined the AMA, bought an Aerobird Challenger and taught myself how to fly. After a lot of use (and abuse) the Aerobird was scrapped for a Hobbyzone Super Cub which is a whole lot of fun to fly, and I still fly today. My Four * project was basically in a holding pattern the last 5 years because I really didn't have a good work space to work on it, still needed a lot more parts, and just plain had life going on.

Over the years though, I had managed to pick up a Futaba 6EX, R617rx, an OS 46LA, a bunch of accessories like power panel, batteries, fuel pump, glow plugs, props, etc, etc...with hopes to eventually get this thing in the air.

That brings us to today The plane is entirely covered, all electronics are installed, and it is almost ready to go. I have a few things that still need to be done such as:

1. mount the engine in place
2. connect fuel lines and throttle cable to engine
3. install propeller and spinner
4. bolt up landing gear, attach tail wheel
5. get servo extension to plug into rx for aileron servo connection
6. install canopy

After that I think the plane will be ready. I still need to learn how to start/tune/maintain the glow engine as I haven't used anything like that since I was a kid with control line planes.

I will try to post my progress of the final stages of this build as well as the first flight experiences. (more motivation to get this done soon )

I have quite a few pictures I have taken from the beginning of the build to current that can be found here, most recent pictures are first:
http://repo.jackmoves.com/v/justin/rc/album233/

Attached are some that show some of the progress.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16125.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	1620033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69486.jpg
Views:	30
ID:	1620034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va73075.jpg
Views:	22
ID:	1620035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zs52068.jpg
Views:	24
ID:	1620036   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xi62066.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	1620037   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pg62206.jpg
Views:	32
ID:	1620038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42584.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	1620039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63423.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	1620040  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61912.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	1620041   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67568.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	1620042   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17568.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1620043   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55746.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	1620044  
Old 06-07-2011, 05:59 AM
Aiden88
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My never ending Four * 40 build

Looking good and congrats for sticking with it and getting it this far. I started a J-3 Cub kit and got most of the wood working done before I quit and didn't touch it for the next two years. Now she's ready to maiden and I am so glad I went back and finished it. I feel proud that I accomplished something like that because I'mknown for starting projects but rarely finishing them.

Just started a4* build and it'smoving right along and I hope to be flyingit by July 1st. I went all stock for the build tokeep it simple.

Good luck and don't hesitate to find an instructor to help you buddy box the maiden.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:49 AM
justinCO

Thanks for the comments.

I kept my Four * build stock as well for the same reasons.

I will definitely be having an experienced pilot take the first flight and get it trimmed out. I am confident in flying trainer style planes like the SuperCub, but this plane is much different, having ailerons, low wing, and much more power. We'll see how it goes
Old 06-08-2011, 10:02 AM
Aiden88

Something to look forward to... Crank up the speakers and sit back and enjoy. Afterwords you'll want torun down and glue the rest of that bird together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9dm9...eature=related

Old 06-08-2011, 10:46 AM
Zor
Banned

A very nice video.

I had to crank my volume down .

I would have liked to hear the engine and be able to tellhow the power was used in the maneuvers.

Congrats to a proficient pilot.

Zor
Old 06-08-2011, 01:00 PM
justinCO

Aww video not available on mobile phones, I'll have to watch when I get home.

I picked up some parts/supplies and got some things done yesterday:

1. gallon of cool power 15% (green stuff)
2. 3" servo extension
3. splurged on a great planes field caddy

4. test mounted engine (for throttle cable measuring)
5. began finishing up throttle cable but couldn't complete 'cause my soldering gun is apparently dead, and I couldn't solder the threaded clevis part to the cable
6. hooked up servo extension to rx
7. wrapped rx in foam, secured battery and rx into fuse (think I messed up here as I haven't bound my rx to my tx yet, not sure if I need access to the rx? might have to pull it out)

I have a few pictures to upload later.

Going to pickup an electric starter and new soldering iron tonight, hopefully I will make more progress this evening.

I am planning to go to my local field next Thursday as that is the noobie training/instruction day. If not next week, then the week after (I hope).

Question: I have a battery to use with my power panel but it has been in sitting in a box for who knows how many years now. Never charged it. Do these things go bad over time w/out use, or will it still be good?
Old 06-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Aiden88

My guess is you will need to buy a new battery but try it out to be sure. My battery went unused for about a year and a half and was dead. I put it on a charger and it gave a fault. A new one at a hardware store is about $25 to $30.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:11 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: justinCO

I am planning to go to my local field next Thursday as that is the noobie training/instruction day. If not next week, then the week after (I hope).

Question: I have a battery to use with my power panel but it has been in sitting in a box for who knows how many years now. Never charged it. Do these things go bad over time w/out use, or will it still be good?
Arvada Associated Modelers club?

Charge the field battery overnight with a 12v wall wort charger - 600mah or 800mah should be fine. If it don't charge up - it's dead.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:55 AM
Zor
Banned

If you have an ammeter and use it to monitor the charging current you may notice a very small current initially due to a high battery initial resistance.

After a while you may notice the charging current is increasing. That is a good sign as the chemicals are reacting to the charging current.

As the battery is picking up charge and its voltage keeps increasing then the charging current will of course diminish after reaching a peak (a maximum value).

When the current becomes small and apparently steady at a low value keep the charger on for another couple of hous (referred to as a trickle charge).

Strongly suggest to use the battery at ground level for the first discharge to have an idea how much capacity this battery still has.

Then recharge it again.

Note: . . . . feel the battery with your hand wrapped around it while the charge is proceeding.
If it feels quite warm, stop the charging and let it cool before continuing the charging.

Let us know your findings (results).

Zor

Old 06-09-2011, 09:45 AM
justinCO

ORIGINAL: Rcpilot

Arvada Associated Modelers club?

Charge the field battery overnight with a 12v wall wort charger - 600mah or 800mah should be fine. If it don't charge up - it's dead.
Yep AAM.

I forgot I don't even think I have a charger for the dang thing. Could I use the charger that charges my tx/rx batteries? I imagine I would need an adapter or some sort with alligator clips on it or something...

Build updates coming in a few.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:40 AM
justinCO

Ok now for some build updates and pictures.

1. Got throttle cable done, just needed a new tip for my soldering gun
2. Linked my RX to the TX, aligned all control surfaces with default servo trim setting and tested everything
3. Wrapped RX in foam and installed/secured rest of electronics
3. Mounted engine and hooked up fuel lines
4. Installed glow plug and prop
5. Install landing gear, got wrong size retainers for my tail wheel so need to hit LHS for 3rd time in as many days tonight
6. Mocked up the canopy
7. Attached the wing to finally take some pics of it all assembled

Picked up few more parts too at LHS last night:

1. Electric starter
2. Extra prop, glow plug
3. Fuel can fittings, fuel line plugs
4. Glow plug tool

I noticed my carb reaches full open before my TX stick actually reaches full throttle (if that made sense). Also some of the control surface servos seemed to "strain" when I went full left/right or up/down. Have to research if some of these things can be tuned in the TX somehow.

Name:	Ca81963.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	1621185   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39451.jpg
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	1621186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96716.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	1621187   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf94944.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	1621188   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zk67613.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	1621189   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kb45055.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	1621190  
Old 06-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Aiden88

Sweet!!! Mine is still in the bones. Just starting on the servo tray. I didn't have one of the pre-fab ones like yours so had to fashion one out of spare ply. Kind of a pain in the rear but my LHS is too far away and I hate paying Tower $5.99 in shipping for a $2.00 part.

Yours look really good. I can't wait to get mine airworthy.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:20 PM
justinCO

ORIGINAL: Aiden88

Sweet!!! Mine is still in the bones. Just starting on the servo tray. I didn't have one of the pre-fab ones like yours so had to fashion one out of spare ply. Kind of a pain in the rear but my LHS is too far away and I hate paying Tower $5.99 in shipping for a $2.00 part.

Yours look really good. I can't wait to get mine airworthy.
Thanks! My kit didn't come with those servo trays, I bought them off ebay. Just go search for "Futaba servo tray" and you can usually find them in lots of 4, 6, 8 or so, think I got 6 of them pretty cheap. I wasn't adventurous enough to try and build a tray out of ply and balsa so I went the easy way

I still haven't looked at that video you posted yesterday, was up too late working on the plane. I'll check it tonight as I think I will wait until the weekend to make another parts run (12v batt' charger). I am at the point of near completion where I keep finding out about all the little things I forgot

Might put some decals on the plane tonight as well, if so I'll take some updated pics.

Still shooting for next Thursday as the first day out.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:57 PM
Aiden88

Question... The inner nylon tubes that the 2-56 threaded push rods are supposed to screw into are too big. The threads slide easily into the tube and so there is no way to install the servo links the way they describe in the instructions. This setup is identical to my Sig 1/5th scale Cub so I am familair with the process. Any ideas? If I permanently adhere the rod inside the tube I won't be able to adjust them.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:27 PM
justinCO

Question... The inner nylon tubes that the 2-56 threaded push rods are supposed to screw into are too big. The threads slide easily into the tube and so there is no way to install the servo links the way they describe in the instructions. This setup is identical to my Sig 1/5th scale Cub so I am familair with the process. Any ideas? If I permanently adhere the rod inside the tube I won't be able to adjust them.
Are you sure you are not looking at the outer tube that the pushrod tube slides into? My inner tubes were of the correct size and I had no problems screwing the threaded pushrod into them.

See attached:

Name:	Ec87296.jpg
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	1621259  
Old 06-09-2011, 04:41 PM
Aiden88

Nope, the outer tubes are installed. The inner tubes slide inside of those and that works fine. The steel rods thatare cut to 2.5 inches on the servo ends are supposed to screw into the inner tube. Unfortunately they slide easily into the inner tube, thread and all. I've done this setup before and the rods fit tight and threaded without issue. For some reason the tubeappears to be too big.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:02 PM
justinCO

Nope, the outer tubes are installed. The inner tubes slide inside of those and that works fine. The steel rods that are cut to 2.5 inches on the servo ends are supposed to screw into the inner tube. Unfortunately they slide easily into the inner tube, thread and all. I've done this setup before and the rods fit tight and threaded without issue. For some reason the tube appears to be too big. [img][/img]
Huh, weird. So the OD of the inner tube is right, but the ID is not? Pretty odd, maybe they had some kits where the wrong tubes were shipped? Not sure on that one.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:38 PM
Aiden88

Yup, that appears to be the situation... And I was making such progress today. I'll start a new thread and see what the old timers suggest I do. Be sure to update when you maiden your 4*.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:08 PM
piper28

Heh, and I thought my 4.5 years on a BTE Venture was running pretty long . Then again, I don't have an excuse of a kid to make it sound more reasonable. Feels good to be almost done though, doesn't it? I just finished in the last day mine, hope to start breaking in the engine next week.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:52 PM
justinCO

ORIGINAL: piper28

Heh, and I thought my 4.5 years on a BTE Venture was running pretty long . Then again, I don't have an excuse of a kid to make it sound more reasonable. Feels good to be almost done though, doesn't it? I just finished in the last day mine, hope to start breaking in the engine next week.
Yea very happy to be done with it, ready to start flying. On the other hand, I am also excited to clear the work bench for my next kit sitting under the bench lol.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:51 PM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

Now you need to have the guys at the field help you break in the engine and you will be in the air in no time. Very nice looking plane.

I have 2 Four Star Kits (60). One is till in the box. Bought it so me and my dad could do it as a "father / son" project. Sadly, I don't think its going to happen.

Oh, with the stock set-up, your plane is a "floater". Don't come in high and hot, it will idle right past you and all the way to the end of the runway at 4' altitude.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:33 PM
justinCO

ORIGINAL: scooterinvegas

Now you need to have the guys at the field help you break in the engine and you will be in the air in no time. Very nice looking plane.

I have 2 Four Star Kits (60). One is till in the box. Bought it so me and my dad could do it as a ''father / son'' project. Sadly, I don't think its going to happen.

Oh, with the stock set-up, your plane is a ''floater''. Don't come in high and hot, it will idle right past you and all the way to the end of the runway at 4' altitude.
Thanks for the tip. Thursday is still the plan for engine break-in and learning the basics, not sure if I will be able to fly or not but we'll see. I might take my SuperCub too just so I can possibly fly that at the field.

On another note, I tested my 12v field battery after charging it overnight. Hooked up my power panel to it and it showed no power, although the red light under bad glow connection was lit. I also hooked my 12v starter directly up to the battery and got nothing. So, I assume it is dead Going to stop at hobby store and get a new one tomorrow. I also put some decals on the plane, rigged up the tail wheel, and secured the canopy. I have pics but will get them up tomorrow, it was a long day at Warbirds over Denver and an exotic car show

Warbirds over Denver pics:
http://repo.jackmoves.com/v/justin/a...arbirdsdenver/
Old 06-13-2011, 05:58 AM
Aiden88

You better get going Justin, I'm right behind you... LOL, just kidding, take your time. I still haven't flown my J-3 Cub and I "finished" that build twomonths ago. If you fly her thursday, good luck! Don't rush it though...

I'm two weeks intomy 4 Starbuildand I got it covered and the decals applied, canopyglued on w/ Spider Man at the controls (A donation by my 5 year old son)...Tonight I hope to get the tail feathers glued on, control surfaces hinged, and the engine installcompleted. I've been building so steadilyI haven't taken many pictures so I supposed I should take a couple tonight. The only delay so far was the nylon tube issue but that'll be rectified soon.

I'm for sure getting another 4 Star for my winter project that I will take my time on. I have some Sig Koverall lyingaround for her covering job so planning on a custom paint job.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:49 PM
verdmonte

Hi Guys,

I have been out of rc for ten years after moving to NC. Finally got my shop in order and bought a 4* 40 from Sig. Shortley thereafter I got a package from SIG that replaced the inner tubes. So it looks like they did have wrong ones in some kits. I have started on the winng and got 1/2 assembled only to realize that I over did the CA and the bottom of the wing had stuck to the Top Flite plans protector so spent a lot of time gently sanding the plastic film off. Great to come across this thread and would like to contribute as things progress. The video with the music was awesome.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:27 PM
justinCO

Aiden88, you are cruisin' on that build! Good to hear you're moving right along. Definitely get some pics up when you get time.

verdmonte, thanks for the info on the inner tubes. That probably explains Aiden88's issues. Good luck with your Four * build too, I think you will have fun with it as I did (hopefully not over ~7 yrs time :P )

As far as my build, here are some updates:

1. Got new battery today, charged it 9-10 hours and works perfectly fine.
2. Cut the alligator clips off my starter and soldered on some banana clips.
3. Assembled my field caddy and custom cut the power panel hole to accept my panel, then installed it.

Questions:

1. The field caddy instructions say to put the 12v battery into the compartment behind the power panel, then screw on the outer wood panels to close it up. How do I charge my 12v battery with it closed up in there? Can I charge it through the power panel somehow? I was thinking of just soldering on extra wire leads off each terminal and sticking them out of the slots in the compartment. Then I could just clip my charger clips to those for charging. But, I am open to ideas of how others do this.

2. Any suggestions on how to rig up the tail wheel? Or is what I have about as good as it gets with that simple tail wheel wire design?

3. Any suggestions on tools/supplies to take in my field kit?

And now some pictures showing off the pretty much final product, including my 5 year old son in the cockpit Pretty happy with how it came out, almost can't wait to start on my next kit!

Name:	Mk26388.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	1623102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24264.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	1623103   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27810.jpg
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1623104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73300.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	1623105   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25253.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1623106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74950.jpg
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	1623107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51747.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	1623108   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65502.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	1623109  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.