Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Ohio RC Ultimate Bipe

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Ohio RC Ultimate Bipe

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 07:17 PM
bkanter3
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ohio RC Ultimate Bipe

Recently got an Ohio RC Ultimate Bipe with 63" wings. Did not get a set of plans or a construction manual. I need to know the CG. Can anyone help? Bill
Old 06-14-2011, 01:14 AM
kwhite.6

Default RE: Ohio RC Ultimate Bipe

precision cut kits sells plans and instructions for it. they renamed them Proline. Have u already built it? I was thinking about getting one but couldn't find any info about it. Almost didn't catch it, welcome to RCU.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:48 PM
Nergall

$476 just seems too high to me.

Great Planes sells a 65" ARF for $400 (with current Tower discounts - $350 PLUS a $30 rebate.)

I really like to build, but I can't justify an extra $156 for it.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:27 AM
Tony Hallo

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

ORIGINAL: Nergall

Great Planes sells a 65" ARF for $400 (with current Tower discounts - $350 PLUS a $30 rebate.)

If you want an airplane, buy an ARF, if you looking for pleasure and enjoyment build an airplane. You can not build an airplane for the cost of an ARF
Old 06-15-2011, 04:29 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: bkanter3

Recently got an Ohio RC Ultimate Bipe with 63'' wings. Did not get a set of plans or a construction manual. I need to know the CG. Can anyone help? Bill
Referencing the GP ARF instruction,, CG is at 6.25 back on the top wing @ the center,, Seems to me that was about right,, I sold mine over 10 year ago, Never had the manual either. pics in gallery

I bet PCC would at least look up the CG if you shot them an email..

They are a great airframe for "power on" maneuvers, but it glides like the Space Shuttle.
Keep the power on and have fun

Good luck

p.s.
If is there some kind of "Longest Lurker" award, you'd take it
Old 06-15-2011, 04:58 PM
Nergall

ORIGINAL: Tony Hallo
ORIGINAL: Nergall

Great Planes sells a 65'' ARF for $400 (with current Tower discounts - $350 PLUS a $30 rebate.)

If you want an airplane, buy an ARF, if you looking for pleasure and enjoyment build an airplane. You can not build an airplane for the cost of an ARF
That's just not true. My Stick cost around $100 (short kit, stick wood, covering), GP Stick ARF is $150. It depends, of course, on the ARF. Some are harder to compete with than others, but there are quality issues.

I'm building a 61" Pitts right now, that ought to be fairly comparable. I'll probably end spending loosely around $225 for the short kit, wood, and plastic bits I need that would match that kit. I'd probably go as high as $300 for a kit like this, and to your point, by the time I bought covering it would come out more expensive than the ARF. I just think $476 (plus covering!) is too much.

One hopes the quality of the kit at least jusitifies the high price?
Old 06-15-2011, 05:02 PM
kwhite.6

I know it's kinda high priced but I already own A Great Planes Ultimate with a DL 50 and it's falling apart. It's a great flying plane but after a number of repairs, and no crashes or even rough landings, I'm beginning to realise why it's so cheap. I think they used some kind of time release glue that after a certain amount of time, it releases! That's one reason I'm looking for another Ultimate, plus there isn't an ARF that can give you the pride of a kit you build yourself. The main reason I haven't already bought the Proline Ultimate is because it is $500.00 and I can't find any information on it.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:14 PM
Nergall

Well, maybe I'm making unfair comparisons since I don't own any ARF's myself. I'd go for the kit verus a $500 ARF any day, though, the kit will still cost more in the end.

My favorite has hundreds of flights and a few with real hard landings. The tires are balding, it wore out one servo, and three of the CA hinges (replaced with Robarts). Is that what you mean by falling apart?

[X(]
Old 06-16-2011, 04:14 AM
scale only 4 me

ORIGINAL: kwhite.6

I know it's kinda high priced but I already own A Great Planes Ultimate with a DL 50 and it's falling apart. It's a great flying plane but after a number of repairs, and no crashes or even rough landings, I'm beginning to realise why it's so cheap. I think they used some kind of time release glue that after a certain amount of time, it releases! That's one reason I'm looking for another Ultimate, plus there isn't an ARF that can give you the pride of a kit you build yourself. The main reason I haven't already bought the Proline Ultimate is because it is $500.00 and I can't find any information on it.
What do you want to know?
I flew one for about 4 years,, then sold the airframe

Old 06-16-2011, 04:08 PM
kwhite.6

Everything. LOL what was the weight, what engine, flight characteristics, how was the build? was it over built, under built, any added weight or anywhere to save weight? Any information at all would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:02 PM
scale only 4 me

I bought mine built,, striped and recovered it. It had I was told over 100 flights and I put well over 200 on it myself,, Sold it in good used condition and was sorry I did,, It was a crowd pleaser in the day. Like many of the designs of that era they are over built, But tough,, I had a few deadsticks with mine and besides the bent gear the plane held up fine., Like I stated above,, Glides like a brick, but flys great with power on. Mine was right around 18lbs with a Brison 3.2. Great airframe for IMAC type flying,, Not a 3D machine with the smaller ailerons and heavier wingloading.

all in all a very fun plane to own
Old 06-16-2011, 05:07 PM
scale only 4 me

look how thin these wings are,, keep the speed up baby

Old 06-17-2011, 07:37 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't want to hijack this thread, but wanted to weigh in on the ARF vs. kit cost. Most of the time a finished kit will be more money. But if you are looking at it from a dollar to dollar standpoint, it's a mistake. I think everyone should build a few kits. If for no other reason than they will be able to repair their ARFs. But to do it to save money, should be the last reason on your list.

david
Old 06-17-2011, 09:55 AM
scale only 4 me

Well, as it's true nothing beat the satisfaction of building from a kit or scratch,, the GP Ultimate is a good value as an ARF, besides the springy landing gear, it's a well built plane.
I do agree PCK's Kit Price is somewhat high, I doubt they are trying hard to sell them.. these were about $350 kits in the Ohio Rc days I believe,, and that seamed high to me then.