Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Dan Santich Models still around?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Dan Santich Models still around?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 01:30 PM
Sport Flyer
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dan Santich Models still around?

I am considering an Ultrahots as a home for my US41. Anyone know if Dan Santich still kits the Ultrahots or do I have to go the scratch build routine?

I noticed Fiberglass Specialties still lists the cowl for it so I am hopeful!

Thanks in advance,
Kelly
Old 08-16-2003, 08:01 AM
velocity

Default Dan Santich Models still around?

You might try this site for the Ultra Hots kit, although I don't know if they still sell it or not. Godd Luck!
http://www.abellrc.com/whatsnew.html
Old 11-06-2003, 09:31 PM
crashesclay

Default RE: Dan Santich Models still around?

I beleive that Abell hobby & mfg is planning to offer a wood kit but is stumbling over the copy rights, trying to get in touch with Dan Santich or who ever has the rights to the ultra hot's plans!
I am sure that Abell mfg and many rcuniverse members would greatly appreciate any help they could get in this!
Old 11-09-2003, 01:49 PM
phread59

Hey Sportflier:

I believe that MAN has most of the plans available. It may be RCM I am not sure. A trip to thier website should come up with an answer. I know this is plans and not a kit. But any port in a storm as they say. I wish you well in your project.

Mark Shuman
Old 11-09-2003, 03:39 PM
Sport Flyer

I actually do have the MAN Ultrahots plans. Crazyherb has the bulkheads and ribs cutout but the likelyhood of him finishing the project is low as he has moved in other directions. I've been working on him to sell/send me the parts.
Old 11-11-2003, 02:21 PM
kiv

AbelRC's website says they are planning to reintroduce the kit soon. I sent them an email to inquire about the status and was told that they decided not to and that they would update the website to say that soon.

Sigh. A kit would have been a lot easier than the hassle of trying to order all those parts and wood...[]

Kiv
Old 11-11-2003, 02:40 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: kiv

AbelRC's website says they are planning to reintroduce the kit soon. I sent them an email to inquire about the status and was told that they decided not to and that they would update the website to say that soon.

Sigh. A kit would have been a lot easier than the hassle of trying to order all those parts and wood...[]

Kiv
I want to respectfully inquire why you choose to spend the time and effort to acquire one of these planes. Is it the appearance? The performance? The historical value?

One of the guys at my field has a little version of the Hots (I don't know which one) and he sold his Ultra Hots to a younger club member. They're interesting planes, but there are lots of interesting planes. I probably wouldn't go to the lengths you are going to acquire one. Thus, I respectfullyl inquire.... Why?

No offense intended. Just wondering.
Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 11-11-2003, 04:32 PM
Sport Flyer

Well Dave, speaking solely for myself, 13 yrs or so ago I had the original 40 sized Midwest Hots. It was an awesome little plane capable of knife-edge loops but its life was cut short thanks to a faulty solder connection on a Royal servo. No one knew anything about 3D flying then, but the Hots was probably more capable than my current Sig Somethin' Extra. The Hots series has always been available on plans from MAN. Santich kitted the Ultrahots himself and sold the rights to the smaller sizes to Midwest. Midwest produced a 500 electric, 40 and 60 sized Hots kits but ended production in the early 90s. Today SuperHots kits (60 sized) go for high dollars whenever they come available and many people who've flown them swear by them as the best sport plane ever. The Ultrahots is just a bigger version and should retain the same combination of aerobatic ability and nice flying characteristics while being powered by a cheap to run gasser. A kit, if available, would just be an easier way of making one than scratchbuilding.

Hope that helps answer your question. Best,
Kelly
Old 11-11-2003, 05:57 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sport Flyer

<<snip>> ...I had the original 40 sized Midwest Hots. <<snip>> ... The Ultrahots is just a bigger version and should retain the same combination of aerobatic ability and nice flying characteristics while being powered by a cheap to run gasser.<<snip>>...
Hope that helps answer your question. Best,
Kelly
Cool. I'd like to have one, but I can just watch the little one and the Ultra at my field. The Ultra has a small nose, you won't be able to cowl in the US41. The smaller one (I think it's a 40 size) is a real little hotdogger. The big one is majestic, flies nice & slow, floats in for landings. It's got a 120 OS on it, plenty of power. Doesn't snap or roll fast, but makes solid maneuvers.

Good luck!
Dave Olson
Old 02-01-2004, 03:10 PM
cratercreator
My Feedback: (9)

Abell Hobby finaly has the ultra hots shot kit available

http://www.abellrc.com/
Old 02-01-2004, 05:20 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Morris Hobbies has the rights to, and produces a Hots kit, but not the Ultra Hots.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:12 PM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you just want an Ultra Hots design, you can bash a Lanier Stinger 120 kit to make an Ultra Hots. It uses the same wing, but a much more effective tail group. The whole kit is cheep and they build fast. Though I still fly and enjoy my scratch built Ultra Hots.

Steve
Old 02-04-2004, 12:08 PM
ronin8451
My Feedback: (6)

The Lanier Stinger 120 wing is not the same as an Ultra Hots as it has more chord than the Ultra Hots. If you build the Ultra Hots, do as was suggested to me and built the tail group like the Stinger 120 and it will fly much better with the bigger surfaces. Now I just gotta finish my 87" Laser so I can get back on my Ultra Hots !
Old 05-29-2004, 04:59 PM
East RC

The hots is a fantastic flying and easy building plane. I recently obtained my second, the super hots (.60 size) from a guy locally who just happened to walk into where I work and saw my RCM mag on the table and the plane got brought up in conversation. It was still new in the box with the factory tape still in place. If ya wanna see larger, more detailed pics of the new bird , seperated, for better view of the control surfaces, click below....and note the sizes of the control surfaces. Modifications like this can increase, by far, a planes maneuverability in the air. I have an O.S. 60 w/ tuned pipe going in her. With the rudder this large, I think knife edge loops will be as tight or as wide as I like. On my first hots I kept the stock rudder and elevators, but increased my ailerons like this, and my roll rate was ridiculous, uncountable....until a wingtip hit the paved runway. The pieces of balsa and debri were also uncountable. It was the most disasterous crash I had ever seen, to say the least.

http://www.thegreenband.com/images/planes.html

C. Hockaday
Old 05-30-2004, 02:28 PM
East RC

I also wanted to mention, if anyone hear knew, that Dan Santich passed away sometime ago. His son Steven is handling the website now
( http://www.dansantichmodels.com ) and has done a great job. Plans for many of Santich's designs are available there. I am also going to add a "In memory of Dan Santich / 1935-2003" to the side of the fuse on my new hots. I personally am obsessed with the plane, so, anyone who has one, or had one, please feel free to send me pics or video of your hots. I have quite a collection of photos of this plane. Speaking of: I read somewhere that Dan Santich was planning or building a full size version of the hots. Does anyone know if this was ever implememented and if so, was it ever completed and flown? Any photos anywhere?

Thanks

C. Hockaday
Raleigh, NC