Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

SR FALCON, VINTAGE CARL GOLDBERG KIT

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

SR FALCON, VINTAGE CARL GOLDBERG KIT

Old 06-24-2011, 04:34 AM
mmassey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SR FALCON, VINTAGE CARL GOLDBERG KIT

Airbusdriver, I have the same Sr. Falcon from that era. I bought it at a rummage sale for $50 three years ago and still fly it today. It had a enya .35 on it that wasn't even broke in yet. I took the enya off and put an os .40 on it. Flys lika a dream and floats in for landings.

Mike
Old 06-24-2011, 05:07 AM
DrYankum
My Feedback: (11)

You can clearly see on the box the kit came in on the pictures in post 1, that the kit was designed for a .40 to .60 size engine. As with the engine recommendations with todays ARFs most people went with the high end on engine size. It was a pretty popular kit and I knew of no one who flew it with a 40.
The Falcon 56 was designated as a .25 to .40 engine. Most of us flew it with .40s. I had a K&B.40 in mine.
Good luck with it. I think the .56 4C engine will pull it, since it has such large wing area, but you"ll never get it to hover. lol
Jerry
Old 06-24-2011, 05:28 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Beautiful! That's the plane I soloed on

But it needs the canopy!
Old 06-24-2011, 06:05 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Beautiful! That's the plane I soloed on

But it needs the canopy!
If I ship it to MN will you tint it, paint the frame lines and do the install??
Old 06-24-2011, 06:07 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sure
Old 06-24-2011, 11:22 AM
I_Fly

Nice plane.   I have a Falcon 56 that I built in 1986.  Flew it in early spring on a windy day and knocked off the front landing gear.  These are such nice planes for almost any type of flying.   It will be repaired and fly again.  Even if I have to start from scratch! 
Old 06-24-2011, 11:39 AM
Leadtrumpet

ORIGINAL: Duayne P

Nice job! It looks great. Ive had at least 2-3 Carl Goldberg Falcon 56 MK III and 1 or 2 Sr's. Nice to see that there are still kit builders out there. One other thing, you forgot the canopy. I like it with it on, just me thow. Nice job again.
Duayne
AMA 109693

+1 Nice job and I also like it better with that canopy. It just reminds me of the control line planes I built as a kid (man I sound old!)
Old 06-24-2011, 11:49 AM
rafeeki

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is my Falcon 56 MK III, flew like a dream last week on its maiden flight. Has an OS 40.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99276.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	1627230  
Old 06-24-2011, 01:31 PM
DUCO

It is funny how taste run, I like the bird better w/o the canopy! Looks more aero dynamic.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:30 PM
Scirocco14

Here's my new (to me) Falcon 56 Mk II. A couple of months ago a friend of mine asked me if I'd like to have his old "trainer", he'd give it to me since he hadn't flown it in years and wasn't really into R/C anymore. So I go and pick it, and he gives me the plane, the Tx, and some other stuff (starter, etc). It had an OS 40 on it in good shape (gummed up but not a problem).

I get it home and it looked familiar (I'm new to RC, this is my 2nd year) so I searched around and found out it was a Falcon 56. It was a bit dog-eared; the Monokote was tatty, and the plane had some hangar rash but certainly rebuildable. So I stripped it, fixed some broken stuff, and recovered it with leftover Monokote. Ifound a canopy in my stash of stuff and adapted it on. Just finished restoring it, and hope to fly it for the first time this weeked if the weather holds out. The engine runs fine now that I got it de-gummed, and the radio works fine too. Just needed to replace the batteries in the Tx and Rx.

Mark

Name:	Yw66510.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	1627279   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29343.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	1627280   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26233.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	1627281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr46895.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	1627282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv15273.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	1627283   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sj71500.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	1627284  
Old 06-24-2011, 02:53 PM
rafeeki

Great loking Falcon there Mark.
What do u use to de-gum an engine???
Old 06-24-2011, 03:06 PM
rv9-a

Great looking plane. A SR. Falcon was my second plane in the early 70's........right after an Eagle and both flew great with a .40 engine. [sm=biggrin.gif]

rv9-a

Old 06-24-2011, 03:41 PM
Scirocco14

ORIGINAL: rafeeki

Great loking Falcon there Mark.
What do u use to de-gum an engine???
Thanks for the compliment!

To degum a glow engine, I pull the glow plug and loosen the backplate and then soak the engine in denatured alcohol overnight. Usually by the next morning, everything is loosened. Sometimes I have to soak the carb separately to get the barrel unstuck.

Mark

Old 06-24-2011, 04:16 PM
rafeeki

Thanks, I have a carb I need to work on.

By the way u might have noticed that I modernized the landing gear... I hate dealing with wire landing gear..
Old 06-24-2011, 05:59 PM
mwhar760
My Feedback: (18)

man that aircraft sure brings back memories!!!!!! it's the plane i tought my self how to fly with!!!! crashed it numerous times repaired it and went on!!!!! sweet plane,good looks and a all around great trainer!!!! i'll never forget the one i had with a k&b 65 sportster in it and the reliable futaba gold box on am!!!!!
Old 06-24-2011, 07:15 PM
DrYankum

OMG....servo reversing. Unbelievable
Old 06-24-2011, 07:41 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: airbusdrvr

I am hoping the 52 four-stroke has enough power. There were two factors in choosing that motor. One, I had a NIB OS 52FS on hand. The other reason was that I recently saw a member of our club flying a similarly sized plane with the 52 four-stroke and was impressed with its performance. Also, the 52 is just a couple hundred rpm below the OS46 two-stroke in bench tests. Time will tell.[]
Airbusdriver,

this certainly takes me back to when I was first introduced to RC model building. I was, what, 14 at the time? It was a great experience.

The first one I built for a guy back in the 60's was heavy so a 45 would not have worked that well. But subsequent models I built for him were much lighter and he powered at least one of them with an Enya 45 I think. The combo worked well. If you kept yours at 6 lbs or so, the 52 FS should work fine

I had several firsts on a Sr Falcon through courtesy of the owner. I built many planes for him and he gave me stick time occasionaly. My first time on radio control was with Sr Falcon. My first TO, first time inverted, first roll, first loop, etc etc. First landing was on a Falcon 56 oddly enough. The Senior was a better flier or floater than the 56

If anyone has a full kit, I am interested. My grandson is getting to the right age for a proper introduction
Old 06-24-2011, 08:23 PM
PITTMANARP
My Feedback: (1)

i built an flew a sr falcon powered with an os 60 with tuned pipe. was a great flying plane. wish i still had it!
Old 06-25-2011, 08:50 AM
airbusdrvr

Maiden Flights this morning. Three in all. Take off very uneventful and later only a couple of down clicks of elevator. No aileron or rudder trim needed. The OS 52FS with an APC 11X6 prop was more than adequate. Pulled through the top of good sized loops with no hesitation. The four-stroke sure sounds a lot better than the two-stroke engines(just my opinion). Very easy to fly and very responsive. She floats a bit on landing which means I will need to come in lower and a bit slower to have the airspeed dissipate for landings at the desired touch down point. But, all in all, a very good day. Couldn't be more pleased. Below is a picture prior to the first flight, early in the AM(it gets hot later in the day her in FL) and dodging the early morning rain showers.

Name:	ax72900.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	461.6 KB
ID:	1627418  
Old 06-25-2011, 10:30 AM
rafeeki

Congrats Airbusdriver, looking good

How much did it weigh? Gotta get me one...
Old 06-25-2011, 12:03 PM
DUCO

Outstanding report, just what we all want to hear about the 1st time up.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:05 PM
Iron Dog

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My original Falcon was a Falcon 56, powered by a MDS .46. (1st picture) I flew the heck out of this thing. Easily the most relaxed I've felt flying any airplane, to date. Unfortunately, I started getting awfully bold, and having only used #10 sized nylon wing bolts, and I ripped the wing off of the fuse during a high speedaerobatic maneuver that I had never attempted before. The wing floateddown, undamaged; but, the fusebecame a lawn dart and only the tail section and my landing gear survived the fuse's impact.

The 2nd picture is of my scratch-built Falcon 56 replacementfuse. I reused the tail, landinggear,and wing; but, chose to powerthis one withaYS .45RE. and repainted my Falcon motif on the new fuse. It didn't live long. On the maiden flight, my father-in-law was piloting it (beings I hadn't flown in about 6 months, and wasn't feeling comfortable with performing a maiden). There was a large hawk flying overhead. My father-in-law looked down at the radio to put a couple clicks of trim in it, and when he looked up, it was becoming a lawn dart, for the 2nd time. Because, when he wasn't looking, the hawk flying overhead suddenly dived down on it and grabbed the starboard wing leading edge with its talons, ripping the wing off of the fuse. Although the plane apparently looked like afalcon to the hawk, he soon found that it was much more solidly built than a real bird. He tucked his wings and went down,looking as if someone had shot him from the sky. My father-in-law looked up again,surprised to see the plane suddenly wingless, in an arcing trajectory with nothing he could do about it, except throttle back. There was a write-up in the club newsletter from one of those who witnessed the event. He stated, "I think Ollie has finally learned his lesson about painting his airplines to look like real birds."

Name:	Bz78623.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	1627630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84179.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	1627631  
Old 06-26-2011, 02:08 AM
airbusdrvr

Neat paint scheme and so is the story of the 2nd demise. I, too, have never been a fan of nylon/plastic wing bolts. I used 1/4-20 phillips head metal screws to hold the aft edge of the Sr Falcon that I just built. Again, nice art work.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:36 AM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrads on your maiden & a beautiful model of the Sr Falcon.....Gene
Old 06-27-2011, 09:52 PM
Iron Dog

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: airbusdrvr

Neat paint scheme and so is the story of the 2nd demise. I, too, have never been a fan of nylon/plastic wing bolts. I used 1/4-20 phillips head metal screws to hold the aft edge of the Sr Falcon that I just built. Again, nice art work.
Thanks.

Yeah, I liked the scheme so much that I couldn't resist having it rise from the ashes one more time. Ireused as many of the parts as I couldonce again. I was inspired by Egyptian mythology, which has the earliest recorded mentioning of The Phoenix inhistory. They called the Phoenix, "BENU." So I named my plane, "BENU: Bird of Prey."

The Egyptiansky god was named Horus. He was half man, and half FALCON . . . or at least hadthe head of a Falcon(so all this seemed very appropriate).He is alsothe god of rejuvenation, and the Eye of Horus wasa symbol of protection & rebirth. All of this seemed to come together in my mind and makea cohesivethemeto inspire the markings on the plane pictured below. As sad as it was to have the beautiful hawk that downed my plane die as a result of the attack, my way of coping (whether appropriate or not) is through humor. So, I found it necessary to try to make a joke of the event . . . thus the reason for the markings on the tail. Horus is pictured on the port side, and on the right (running vertically, beings hieroglyphs are read vertically, from what I understand) it states:
"Horus' scoreboard: Falcon 1, Hawk 0 "

On the outside corners of the elevators are the "Eyes of Horus", and unseen on the wing bottom is a cool graphic incorporating pyramids andlarge Eyes of Horus.

The Falcon motif I did on the prior planes was airbrushed in yellow, red and blue, in order to make it look like a flaming Falcon/Phoenix. It was my first attempt to airbrush anything more thana few spots of camoflage mottling on a warbird. It was again powered by my YS .45RE, but had a standard muffler and a 3-bladed prop.

Name:	Us53449.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1628602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28290.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	1628603  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.