Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

SR FALCON, VINTAGE CARL GOLDBERG KIT

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

SR FALCON, VINTAGE CARL GOLDBERG KIT

Old 06-27-2011, 09:58 PM
Iron Dog

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: SR FALCON, VINTAGE CARL GOLDBERG KIT

A couple more shots of "BENU":

I too had to replace the wire gear with dural aluminum landing gear. It definitely improved my landings by cutting out much of the bouncing. I highly recommend this, if you find your landings are a bit bouncy, too.

Oh yeah . . .count measone of those that votes for, "No canopy."
C'mon, do you think this plane would look right with a canopy sitting on top ofit?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52577.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1628604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je11119.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	1628605  
Old 06-28-2011, 02:58 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Iron Dog, I don't think I have ever seen a rear exhuast engine with a sideways standard muffler. Other than some reduction in performance, it should work fine. I did a similar build with a YS 61 side exhaust engine. The application didn't allow a pipe so I used a muffler. Worked fine.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:48 AM
rafeeki
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to get a Falcon on mine also... Are there decals for this or is this pure art work???? It looks fantastic, nice job.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:20 PM
Iron Dog

ORIGINAL: airbusdrvr

Iron Dog, I don't think I have ever seen a rear exhuast engine with a sideways standard muffler. Other than some reduction in performance, it should work fine. I did a similar build with a YS 61 side exhaust engine. The application didn't allow a pipe so I used a muffler. Worked fine.
I did lose some performance overhow it performedwith even the pitts muffler; but the pitts was just way too noisy.Having the muffler at this angleis a little odd looking, at first; and, it did require sanding in a concave clearance area which cut into the top of the fuse. (If you look carefully above the Falcon's head and below the muffler, you can see it.) But, it worked fine.

CONGRATULATIONS on your successful maiden flight!
Old 06-28-2011, 11:37 PM
Iron Dog

ORIGINAL: rafeeki

I would like to get a Falcon on mine also... Are there decals for this or is this pure art work???? It looks fantastic, nice job.
Thanks, rafeeki.

I wish I could give you a source for decals, but unfortunately, it is original artwork. I covered the plane in yellow Ultracote, then performed some masking and airbrushed red and blue over the yellow to give detail on the falcon and also to make it look more like it was a "firebird." Afterwards, I masked off these areas and painted the remainder of the plane in black.

The firebird on the rudder was a picture I downloaded. I resized it to be 3.5" and vignetted it to blend in with the black color of the vertical fin and rudder. That picture file is below, along with the Horus graphic I "Photoshopped." I knowthis is not what your looking for, but is the best I canoffer you, at least for now.

Name:	If10486.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	337.2 KB
ID:	1629135   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86808.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	473.2 KB
ID:	1629136  
Old 06-29-2011, 07:13 AM
airbusdrvr

I absolutely hate people who can do this kind of art work to a plane. It makes the rest of us look bad[:@]
Old 07-02-2011, 06:18 AM
KenD
My Feedback: (65)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice schemes on all the Falcons! I just bought a Senior from a person leaving the hobby. Built in the 69-70 era and looks almost new. Just need to pick some ones brain for the Ail, Elev and Rud throws and the CG would be nice too. then I can start up the Webra .61 Speed that came with it and buzz the field!
Thanks in advance
KenD
Old 07-02-2011, 08:10 AM
airbusdrvr

Thought I would give a little more info on the engine choice after a dozen flights or so. Everyone that watches the plane fly comments how well it flies and what a good match the motor is for the airframe. Secondly, it is miserly on fuel. I don't fly marathon flights, so this would not apply to the person who goes up for twenty minutes at a time. The airplane has an 8oz tank and after four flights, still has a bit of fuel left. The little four-stroke sounds so nice and soft vs. the scream of a two-stroke motor. Couldn't be more pleased with the setup.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:01 PM
airbusdrvr

ORIGINAL: KenD

Nice schemes on all the Falcons! I just bought a Senior from a person leaving the hobby. Built in the 69-70 era and looks almost new. Just need to pick some ones brain for the Ail, Elev and Rud throws and the CG would be nice too. then I can start up the Webra .61 Speed that came with it and buzz the field!
Thanks in advance
KenD
The control throws are not noted on the plans(as I recall). Just common sense amounts. I am flying the plane with only 50% aileron throw using low rates. High rate is to much for normal flying. The CG, per plans, is 4 3/4" aft of the leading edge. If anything, my CG may be just a tad forward of this and it is perfect. Inverted flight requires just a tiny bit of down elevator. In fact, the few times that I have flown it inverted, I naturally pushed forward stick(down elev) as it went inverted and the plane started a climb.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:20 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Maiden Flights this morning. Three in all. Take off very uneventful and later only a couple of down clicks of elevator. No aileron or rudder trim needed. The OS 52FS with an APC 11X6 prop was more than adequate. Pulled through the top of good sized loops with no hesitation. The four-stroke sure sounds a lot better than the two-stroke engines(just my opinion). Very easy to fly and very responsive. She floats a bit on landing which means I will need to come in lower and a bit slower to have the airspeed dissipate for landings at the desired touch down point. But, all in all, a very good day. Couldn't be more pleased. Below is a picture prior to the first flight, early in the AM(it gets hot later in the day her in FL) and dodging the early morning rain showers.
Congrats on the maidens! Lookin' good. I agree that the 4-stroke would be a great engine for this bird - much better than my present OS.45 in my 1974-built Sr. Falcon.

Nice to see this plane still has so many fans. Mine has been my #1 airplane practically since it was first built and has so much air time it should probably be torn down and restored again - but I can't bear to have it on the ground long enough. 37 years, 4 engines, 3 radios, 2 restorations and we won't talk about the number of repairs.

Originally built (red/white/blue covering) with an Enya .35, and Kraft 4-channel radio, it was terribly underpowered. Also, as she was my 3rd RC plane, I got "clever" and built her with ZERO dihedral on the wing - something I've never regretted. First engine/radio change (in the early 1980's) put a Fox .45 and Futaba radio into her. Also moved the antenna into the fuse, inside a control-rod outer tube. Engine #3 (OS .45LA with 11x6 props) was mounted on her side so I could go with a Pitts-style muffler - that happened when the front end got a bit banged up on a less than perfect landing. She presently flies with a OS .46FX with 11x6 prop and 6-ch computer radio (Futaba 6EXP). Main landing gear wheels are the original Dubro square/flat-tread's from 1974.

Pics: original red/white/blue from 1974, latest (2003) re-covering, definitely shows the front-end damage and re-hash. Lost the canopy so many years ago, she's look strange to me if I ever put another one on.

Outstanding aircraft! For someone like me (rather timid with the $$$$) she's always been the perfect plane.

Dave

Name:	Db84533.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	1637381   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok29072.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	1637382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50193.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	1637383   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv60578.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	1637384   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cn77852.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	1637385  
Old 07-19-2011, 02:32 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: Duayne P

Nice job! It looks great. Ive had at least 2-3 Carl Goldberg Falcon 56 MK III and 1 or 2 Sr's. Nice to see that there are still kit builders out there. One other thing, you forgot the canopy. I like it with it on, just me thow. Nice job again.
Duayne
AMA 109693
My wife says the same about the canopy. It will be easy(as easy as canopies can be easy) to add it in a few weeks if I want. But you are right, it would look more ''better.''

With a .52 four-stroke, the Senior Falcon would be lucky to have ever taken off of my old club's grass field in Salem County, NJ. We did have one bump in the field that was useful when the wind was blowing toward the road that passed our field. Many an underpowered/overweight Kadet owed their entire flying life to that one bump.

You did a very nice job of building and modifying the kit. Thanks for sharing.

Ed Cregger
Old 12-06-2014, 02:32 PM
RonMcCormick
My Feedback: (4)

So how are things going with the Senior Falcon? I know this is an old thread but re-reading reminded me of my first plane a SF with K&B 40 back in the late 60's. My instructor pushed me to build light and this plane came out ridicules , it just wanted to float for ever on landing. But if you wanted to learn to fly back then this was the plane many people learned on.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:34 PM
mhudson

Read where you still kept your Senior Falcon box and plan. I have the plans for the SF and was wondering if the original kit from Goldberg included any type of build instructions other than just the plans. If so is there someway I could get a copy of the instructions. Thanks

Mike
Old 01-15-2016, 08:43 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't remember any kind of booklet or anything, but that was a long time ago. Will check my files to see if I've got one.

In the meantime, I DO have a copy of the ARF booklet - it might help a little bit, maybe.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 01-17-2016, 07:03 AM
mhudson

Thanks.

Mike
Old 01-18-2016, 07:36 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The Carl Goldberg Sr. Falcon kit had the building instructions printed directly on the plan sheet. The do show the building sequence, but they still require you to read the plans and understand how the parts go together. A lot is left up to the builder. When the kit was designed, it was assumed that the builder would already have experience in building balsa model airplanes because it was a "full-house", advanced RC model, and usually it was part of the modeler's progressing from simple to more-complex RC aircraft.