Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

40 or 50 Engine for Midwest Extra

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

40 or 50 Engine for Midwest Extra

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 07:43 PM
Poffit
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 40 or 50 Engine for Midwest Extra

Thinking about this winters coming build already which is going to be a Midwest Extra. I thought I had my mind made up and was going with a ZDZ 40 for power. I already have one of these engines on another plane and really like it. But then I got to reading about a lot of these planes with 50 size engines, and even one with a converted 62. I am hoping you guys can nudge me one direction or the other.

It's hard to compare weights of the different engines because they all use a different way of stating it. According to TBM's site the ZDZ 40 weighs 2.9lbs. bare with plug.
Jody's site, Valleyview, says the DLE 55 weight is 3.6lbs. But doesn't say what they are weighing. Towers says the DLE 55 bare engine weight is 2.9lbs., probably doesn't include plug.
Can this be true, is a ZDZ 40 almost as heavy as DLE 55 when both are ready to fly? I always had in my head that a 50 size engine would be 1/2 or 1 lb. heavier than a 40.

This plane has 1162 sq. in. of wing area and looking at a few 50 size ARFs most of them have 1300 or more sq. in. of wing area. So if the DLE 55 is considerably heavier than the ZDZ 40 I am going with my original plan, but if the DLE 55 is almost the same weight why not go with it.

Pat